Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #1

Questions about generator install.

Hello all, I am helping my Dad with his new to him 2019 Forest River Work and Play 30WQBS toy hauler. His trailer came with the generator prep package. Talking to a local trailer dealer they tell him needs to buy the generator(~4k) and then another $6k for the install so a grand total of $10k!!! I find this very hard to believe. They say he needs an additional control box yada yada yada...

My question is, other than a tray and the generator what other parts are needed for a generator install? If you pay for generator prep why on earth would it cost you $10k for the install?

Also, the generator prep includes an auto transfer switch but I have yet to located it. Anyone have a clue to where it might be located.

Any and all information is appreciated.

I live in Pittsburgh and my Dad lives in Orlando so I help out when I am visiting.

Thanks!
dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

You don't need all the BS and spend that outrageous amount of $$$
Tell that person to go rip someone else off.

You buy a generator that fits your needs if you boondock a lot.
Do you have 1 or 2 AC units on the roof?
Do you plan to keep all the batteries charged and use lights and refrigerator?

You can buy a used 4K Honda on Craigslist for $1000 if you need one that large and all you do is plug it into the existing power cable. All it needs to have is a 30 amp 120 RV receptacle on it.
You don't need no transfer switch etc. LOL
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #3

i had our dealer install in onan 5500 before we picked up our new 5th wheel. this was 5 years ago. the 5th wheel came with generator prep. the labor for the install was under $1000. even if the shop labor rate was $125/hr an and it took 8 hrs to install that would only be $1000. it does not take that long to do the install if it is comes with generator prep. for us generator prep included the transfer switch, the generator enclosure, and the fuel line (lp). in addition to the install labor we had to pay for the exhaust pipes and hangers and the 12 volt cables that attach the generator to the 12 volt power system. i have no idea what he is talking about when he says you need a new control box. the 120 vac output power cables go directly to the transfer switch. there are 2 12 volt cables to tie into the existing 12 volt power system. ours is an lp fueled generator so no fuel pump or fuel filter. a gas generator may need these.

as far as where the transfer switch is i have no idea as all floor plans are different. ours in up in the front about 4 feet from the generator enclosure.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

Transfer switch is under the refrig behind the power center. More research I do it appears the generator needs installed and hooked up. No additonal items are required. I would like to talk to the dealer he did.
dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkin View Post
Transfer switch is under the refrig behind the power center. More research I do it appears the generator needs installed and hooked up. No additonal items are required. I would like to talk to the dealer he did.
The dealer saw a "mark" and thought they could take him.

You have shown them to be the thieves they truly are.

Help us help others................................

Get the name of the dealer from your dad, give it to us here so we can warn all others to STAY AWAY from this rip off joint!!
Old 05-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #6

Our dealer installed an Onan/Cummins 5500 including 30 gal fuel tank and all necessary electronics and remote start and fuel gauge for $6,800.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:40 AM   #7

My toy hauler came with genny prep and I was told it would be about $4500-$5000 to buy a 4000 watt Onan Gas genny and have it installed.

I bought a $650 Predator inverter genny from Harbor Freight and it runs everything in my camper relatively quietly when I'm somewhere I can't hook up, including my residential fridge and AC, TV's, etc.

I fill my toy haulers gas tank at the beginning of the year and use it to fill my mower at home and have 20-30 gallons with me if I ever need it while pulling the camper. Have used it to fuel my buddys boat on a fishing trip once at non-marina prices.

At the end of the season, I'll pump whatevers left init to the truck with a bottle of injector cleaner, if I have any left.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
2014 XLR 27HFS

My 2014 toy hauler had the generator prep package, including the transfer switch. In my case, it was under the bed.

I bought a 4K Onan for about $3,500 and installed it myself. I went with the Onan because then I could turn it on and off inside the camper and didn't have to pull it out each time or worry about thieves.

I had to remove most of the floor in the generator enclosure and knock out the panel behind the mesh on the door - both so the gennie could breathe. The Onan came with a power cable. I did purchase a conduit for that to protect it. One end plugs into the gennie and the other to the transfer switch. The wires to the battery and ground were already on my camper, I just had to connect them.

My camper has a 32G gas tank with two hoses coming up to the generator enclosure. Those had to be connected to the generator (after it was in the hole). Getting it in the hole and bolted down required 2 friends because it weighs over 200 pounds.

The other thing I had to purchase was the exhaust pipe. That is a 90 degree pipe when it exist the generator bottom, a straight pipe long enough to get you past the side of the camper a few inches (and angled slightly to the back), and heat resistant a strap of some kind to hold the end up to the camper frame.

I also opted to buy 'roadkill' sheets to cover the inside and outside of the steel compartment to reduce the noise and vibration since the Onan was under our bed. This is optional.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Remove Panel in Door.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	230860   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Remove Compartment Floor.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	230861   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Soundproof Compartment.JPG