Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

Take it EZ Battery Power

New to the RV world. Purchased a 2010 Take it EZ Toyhauler slightly used. All electrical works fine when plugged into ac outlet or my truck. All 3 breakers are on. Interstate deep cycle Battery is wired in, shows 12 volts but I don't get power to lights or anything else with just the battery. Owners manual is generic and not very helpful. Manual says the battery will power lights etc. when not plugged into ac. I can't even get a dim light to flicker using just the battery. What am I missing? Any suggestions?

RBricky
RBricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. Hope you enjoy the stay, and learn a lot, and can teach others what you already know. Sorry for your problems. As to what you are missing, the main breaker for 12 volts. Don't worry, not in the panel. Usually under the tongue, or just behind the front wall under the camper. Will have 2 large wires, on studs, and a very small reset button on one end. Since it appears you have a meter, take it under there with you, see if you have 12 volts on one lug, and 0 volts on the other. Then look for the reset button, and retest. Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

RBricky welcome did you check the fuses in the box as they are what handle the 12v lights? It sounds like a blown fuse to me.

States I have camped in

lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Didn't find a reset button yet. Checked fuses. Installed new battery. Still no battery power. Maybe the problem is with the coverter but seems odd that power from the pin connector to my truck works fine but not from the battery in the RV?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The converter does absolutely nothing when trying to run on battery power!!!

Again, chase the positive, RED, wire from the battery to wherever it goes. It does eventually get to the converter, but will have a 30 amp breaker in line somewhere before it gets there. This breaker is usually under the tongue, or under the trailer on the front wall, kind of out of the weather. The positive cable will go there, bolted to a 1/4 inch stud, and another red cable will go from the other stud to the battery. This is RVIA wiring code, all campers have this main 12 volt breaker somewhere between the battery and the converter.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

Thank You for your patience and persistence. I finally found the breaker located under the outdoor kitchen within 24" of the battery. The breaker connection was so small and the trip button on the opposite side of view under a red plastic cover blocking view even with a mirror. I checked the voltage on each post as you recommended and then had to disconnect the wires to remove the plastic covering the trip button I managed to feel without view. I will now tag the location for the next time I or someone else goes on the hunt.......Thanks Again, next time I will pay closer attention.

Tags
battery