Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Brake is on left

Tire storage in the garage

Hey folks. We have a 34WRS. I race motorcycles and want to install a tire rack for spare wheels. In the old trailer was a cargo style so attaching it to the studs was easy. My stud finder won't pick them up through the thick plywood in the garage of the W&P garage. IM hesitant to just rely on wood screws.
Anyone install something like this, and how did you do it?
https://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/hauling-c-336/race-trailer-accessories-c-336_102/tire-wheel-racks-c-336_102_103/redline-folding-universal-wall-mount-trailer-tire-rack-p-2240?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhL22-eHL7AIVBo_ICh18VQP8EAQYASABEgJ53PD_BwE
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #2

If its anything like the construction of mine, there are no studs in the side walls. Its a solid 1" or so of plywood, fiberglass and interior trim panel sandwiched together.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
Brake is on left

Right you are! I took out one of the side vents to see how the wall was constructed. It needed to be caulked anyway. I'm hesitant to mount a tire rack to the wall now. I fear it would start to bow over time.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

On my trailer they bolted through the wheel wells to fasten the fold down seating.
A stand built to bolt to the well and maybe some fasteners into the wall just to keep the top tight may be a idea.
klutchdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchdust View Post
On my trailer they bolted through the wheel wells to fasten the fold down seating.
A stand built to bolt to the well and maybe some fasteners into the wall just to keep the top tight may be a idea.
That is a good idea! I could maybe even use the flip down sofa framework to build off of.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
That is a good idea! I could maybe even use the flip down sofa framework to build off of.
To fit my Polaris Ranger into my trailer I had to remove the small cabinet next to the fridge. Well, after a few trips I realized how handy that extra counter space would be. i plan on mounting a fold down table frame to the wheel well. Fastening anything to the walls isn't something I would trust unless you bolted completely through the side panel which I personally wouldn't do unless it was an old beater trailer that had holes in it already.
klutchdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchdust View Post
To fit my Polaris Ranger into my trailer I had to remove the small cabinet next to the fridge. Well, after a few trips I realized how handy that extra counter space would be. i plan on mounting a fold down table frame to the wheel well. Fastening anything to the walls isn't something I would trust unless you bolted completely through the side panel which I personally wouldn't do unless it was an old beater trailer that had holes in it already.
Yeah, I'm not going to hang a couple hundred pounds on one wall. Maybe mount it to the floor and secure to the wall if the sofa thing doesn't work out. Its a bummer because there is so much room in the garage but floor space gets eaten up quickly. Its a 8.5 x 14 foot space and so little is usable as a true garage.

Tags
storage, tire