Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #1

Tow Work & Play with halfton?

Sorry for double posting, but I need input fairly soon and I'm confused by the two Work & Play forums! Not sure which one I should be posting this in... Mods please feel free to delete one of my posts.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...fton-8088.html

I am in the market for a used toyhauler, and I'm looking hard at the W&P 24SK. My problem is my truck.

Is anyone towing a 24SK or similar size W&P with a half ton truck? I have a 99 Silverado 5.3L 4x4 with 3.73 gears and a brake controller, and I'm more than willing to add airbags. I would think that they tow better than regular toy haulers due to the lower profile. They're just heavy...

My truck is also getting elderly (190k), and will probably be replaced with a 3/4 ton gasser in the next couple years. I will only be hauling 2 or 3 dirtbikes, and won't be towing in mountains. So, if I can limp along...
tracetrimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #2

As long as you're not pulling in the mountains, and you don't exceed the CGVWR of your truck, you should be OK. But definitely add a big aftermarket tranny cooler.
The low profile is a big plus. How much does it weigh?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #3

That's part of the problem, I have found conflicting info on the dry weights - between 49xx and 62xx. If it's 5k I'm really not worried as my boat weighs about that, but 6200 is pushing it with toys, water, and gear. My truck is rated for 7700, and the tranny is about as good as a halfton gets - factory towing package, and a recent rebuild with several upgrades and a Transgo shift kit.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm towing a Work and Play 18LT with two street bikes, about 1100 pounds, and that pushes the weight to 7000 pounds for the trailer. It's all my Ford F150 SuperCrew, 5.4L auto and 4x4, wants towing in the Smoky Mountains. I'm just below rated max for y truck with a Reese Dual Cam hitch. Just make sure of your weights. We love our Work and play, very tough trailer, and fits us, but its is very heavy.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #5

Thanks. My truck is rated for 7700, so I figure a 5000 lb trailer plus 1000 lbs water and 1000-1500 lbs of bikes & gear should be right there. I plan to get a weight dist/antisway hitch, and I'll add airbags too if needed. My tires are also takeoffs so they are P rated (not LT), so I might be in for a set of tires too.

Can anyone tell me the true dry weight on a 22SK and 24SK? I still can't find anything certain.

Tags
work and play