Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #1

TV in a 2015

So the unit came with a TV and antenna. I have ditched the satellite from my home and RV and was curious if TV can be accessed just with an antenna. The antenna on there now does nothing. Local news or whatever would be nice, not looking for what you would get with cable or a dish.
klutchdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Not knowing what antenna you have, did you turn on the antenna booster and do a channel scan on your tv?

Most R/Vs have a crank up antenna or Omnidirectional on the roof.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #3

If you have a powered antenna there is normally a little button next to the cable hook behind the TV. Mine is in the bedroom in my 18. You will need to program the channels in the TV for each location but I normally get a few channels everywhere.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
If you have a powered antenna there is normally a little button next to the cable hook behind the TV. Mine is in the bedroom in my 18. You will need to program the channels in the TV for each location but I normally get a few channels everywhere.
What he said. ^
Max Doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Doubt View Post
What he said. ^
The TV that came with the coach did not come with a remote. I am second owner. I put a LG I had in there but know nothing about programming channels so I will do that soon. It has a winegard antenna, not crank up.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not knowing what antenna you have, did you turn on the antenna booster and do a channel scan on your tv?

Most R/Vs have a crank up antenna or Omnidirectional on the roof.
Looking up pics online I'm guessing OP has an Omnidirectional, which I've heard are not great.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchdust View Post
The TV that came with the coach did not come with a remote. I am second owner. I put a LG I had in there but know nothing about programming channels so I will do that soon. It has a winegard antenna, not crank up.
Check the TV manual if you have it. It varies by brand/model but the basic setup should be the same. Go into the settings on your TV and look for something like "Auto Tuning" or "Channel Tuning".
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Looking up pics online I'm guessing OP has an Omnidirectional, which I've heard are not great.
The Omnidirectional antenna on my new trailer gets much better reception than the directional antenna (with the rotation knob) that my old trailer had.

Also, to klutchdust, I added a Roku streaming box to my TV. I can create a hotspot with my cell phone and get streaming channels by connecting the Roku to my cell phone hotspot. Just another alternative.

My setup is fairly fancy with a VPN on my home internet router so I can connect my Roku box to my home internet through my phone's hotspot and this allows me to use my Xfinity cable TV by streaming through the Roku. It's almost the same as being connected to cable TV anywhere I have a decent cell phone signal.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchdust View Post
Crank or no crank, it still will have the antenna booster button to get TV channels. You haven't said whether or not you turned it on before doing a channel search.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #10

Just got back from staying three weeks 1/2 hour north of Key West, Florida. The rv resort did not have cable and the air antenna was useless. Our Son let us use an extra Roku he had. There was wifi at this resort, park or campground whatever you want to call it so the Roku worked great. I was really missing the morning news before he got us set up.
Both retired and loving life
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #11

Thank you for all of the replies. A medical emergency kept me away from my computer for a bit. I did find the and turn on the antenna booster. Just looked out the window from upstairs and the antenna looks like a black frisbee on a stick. The rook idea sounds like a good idea.

something like this ,mounted directly to roof. It says winegard near the booster button.