Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Valve stem diameter

I need to replace a valve stem on my ULSBS, it has the aluminum rims. Does anybody know what size the valve stems are so I can buy them before I go to the shop to dismount the tire? It's my friends Atv shop, he has a full size tire machine but isn't sure if the stems he has will work.
Blktegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktegra View Post
I need to replace a valve stem on my ULSBS, it has the aluminum rims. Does anybody know what size the valve stems are so I can buy them before I go to the shop to dismount the tire? It's my friends Atv shop, he has a full size tire machine but isn't sure if the stems he has will work.
As far as the stem hole diameter, I don't think I have seen any FR trailer wheels that didn't have the .453 hole.

Assuming you are wanting to use the metal clamp-in stems (not the rubber stems), then the following will apply. I use the word assume, as it's not clear from your OP what it is exactly you are doing, as you said you are only replacing a stem. If just replacing a rubber stem, it's the .453 size.

Now if you are going to use metal clamp-in stems, The problem that many are encountering however, is that FR is using some aluminum wheels that the valve stem hole is positioned too close to the rim lip/flange that a regular TR-416 clamp-in type stem will not work. If you have this type of rim, then a TR-428 will do.

Actually a TR-428 will work in either application. if you hole is closer to the rim flange or not. This may be the safer one-size-fit-all solution.

Here are some previous links:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post535157

and one from just last week, make sure to read the last post from Bob there.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1447964

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Sorry should have clarified better. Noticed last year all were cracking probably from the sun. Came outside the other morning and had a flat tire, stem wouldn't hold any more air. So I'm going to change all four and buy some wheel covers for storage.

The info u have me is what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

Good info WMTIRE
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Came outside the other morning and had a flat tire, stem wouldn't hold any more air. So I'm going to change all four and buy some wheel covers for storage.

The info u have me is what I was looking for. Thanks
How much air are we talking about? If using just the normal TR-413 encased rubber snap-in stems, they are usually only rated to 60-65 psi.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

No Air, totally flat. As I filled it back up with air it was pouring out the stem by the rim. Pressing in hard on the stem it would stop pouring out. All 4 of them look dry rot all cracked up. It's only a couple years old I've never seen stems look like that. I have 4 trailers at my house, one I bought brand new in 2005 and they sure as heck never looked like these
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
No Air, totally flat. As I filled it back up with air it was pouring out the stem by the rim. Pressing in hard on the stem it would stop pouring out. All 4 of them look dry rot all cracked up. It's only a couple years old I've never seen stems look like that. I have 4 trailers at my house, one I bought brand new in 2005 and they sure as heck never looked like these
I understand, and just for the record, you aren't using any kind of wheel/tire cleaners on them by any chance. Petrochemicals are a big time no-no in my business.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #8

No I haven't used anything but soap and water on the entire hauler. A good friend was the previous owner for a year and he never washed even once. The fact that all 4 look like poop would lead me to believe just cheap materials or what you questioned about harsh chemical cleaners

Tags
valve