Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
WP 25ULA Wheel well leaks in water

We have a 2014 Work & Play 25 ULA.

Love the design but the execution sucks! We have had more repair issues with this unit than I can list.

After my hubby brought our unit back from a trip to our storage facility, we noticed lots of water only on the floor under a window. Therefore, we figured the water come in from around the window or ceiling vent, or back ramp door. NO! Not it.

No leaks or stains around the ceiling on dampness inside cabinets. We have looked all over the unit trying to figure out where this water issue is coming from. May I add it does not leak when it rains? Only when we tow. Very strange.

So this past week on our way back from a weekend trip, I placed towels inside the unit around the wheel well. We came through many large puddles and constant rain. When we stopped, I put my theory to work and checked the towels. Guess what? The towels were all wet! Yep… I figured it out.
Our two-year-old Work & Play unit leaks like a sieve around the wheel well when it is raining. Only on one side at this time. (Yes, our extended warranty has expired…*sigh*.)

Now the trick is to figure out how we are going to seal the wheel well so not to get water intrusion.

Additionally, we DO NOT have any slides.

Has anyone out there had an issue on his or her toy hauler or trailer?
How about on another Work & Play product?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

Have you had Tire Issues? This can beat the Heck out of Wheel wells! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Nope no tire issues. (No blow outs or other.) When we drive in the rain, the water is forced up into the wheel well and it leaks insde onto the floor.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

that sucks. I live in a pretty arid region and have yet to tow through rain. however, i didnt like the exposed back and edge of the FRP sidewalls and used a liberal amount of plastidip in these areas in an attempt to keep water and spray from getting into the wood. its like a spray on rubber coating. maybe plastidip or that stuff Billy Mays sold on TV to seal his screen door boat bottom would work for you.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
itch'n to road trip

drittal.... think we are going to have to caulk inside and outdie to keep water out... on the outside this may be easier than said than done.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #6

Take some measurements of the wheel well area. You might be able to buy a trailer fender and modify to fit and seal. Might even be able to have something made.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
itch'n to road trip

A32Deuce... it already has a metal wheel well housing that is inside the unit exposed.
It is covered with the spray on no slip floor material... like rhinosheild in truck beds.

I do not know if we can add anything outside under the wheel well, next to the tires.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
drittal.... think we are going to have to caulk inside and outdie to keep water out... on the outside this may be easier than said than done.
That's why i suggested the spray stuff. Don't actually have to get the gun on the seam.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

Might have to pull the wheels off and do a close inspection to see what is needed to seal.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
itch'n to road trip

yes figured we would have to pull wheels off....*ugh*...
drittal.... what kind of "spray stuff' are you talking about?
Like that faom spray insulation in a can?

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

Flex seal
Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #12

Believe it or not, that stuff works pretty good. Just make sure it is clean and free of loose insulation and no visible openings. You could possibly use strips of endurobond. Seal all around the transition with the wheel well and sides.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
We have a 2014 Work & Play 25 ULA.

Love the design but the execution sucks! We have had more repair issues with this unit than I can list.

After my hubby brought our unit back from a trip to our storage facility, we noticed lots of water only on the floor under a window. Therefore, we figured the water come in from around the window or ceiling vent, or back ramp door. NO! Not it.

No leaks or stains around the ceiling on dampness inside cabinets. We have looked all over the unit trying to figure out where this water issue is coming from. May I add it does not leak when it rains? Only when we tow. Very strange.

So this past week on our way back from a weekend trip, I placed towels inside the unit around the wheel well. We came through many large puddles and constant rain. When we stopped, I put my theory to work and checked the towels. Guess what? The towels were all wet! Yep… I figured it out.
Our two-year-old Work & Play unit leaks like a sieve around the wheel well when it is raining. Only on one side at this time. (Yes, our extended warranty has expired…*sigh*.)

Now the trick is to figure out how we are going to seal the wheel well so not to get water intrusion.

Additionally, we DO NOT have any slides.

Has anyone out there had an issue on his or her toy hauler or trailer?
How about on another Work & Play product?
We had a similar leak on our Work & Play a couple of years ago. My unit is not parked at my house or I'd take some pictures to show where it leaks.

If you look behind the tires you'll noticed the upper wheel wells are metal. This metal portion forms somewhat of a rectangle box above the tires. This metal box comes down and meets the plywood that forms the floor. This is where the water enters. I would suggest using silicone to seal EVERY SEAM behind the tires, in front of the front tires, and behind the rear tire on both sides. This includes the open rectangular/square steel framing that meets some of the exposed plywood sheeting. Water can enter this tubing and seep in via various mounting screws used to mount the steel framing to the plywood. Silicone every opening, every seam, all the exposed plywood laminate and edges. It's really not that much work. You may need one or two large tubes of silicone. Personally, I wouldn't spend time trying to isolate the exact area where it is leaking. I'd also make sure the unit is completely dry before doing this. You don't want to seal in any moisture. It needs to be completely dry first.

Good luck!
wp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #14

Here are 2 links to the FlexSeal type products.

flexible seal - Walmart.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1locto31dv_b
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #15

Check the refrigerator drain, it has to be sticking out of the outside louvers.
johnnycombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #16
itch'n to road trip

johnnycombo .... already checked the refer....thanks.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #17

Quote:
johnnycombo .... already checked the refer....thanks.
forget the flex seal get some high quality silicone pull the wheels and silicone all seams well once done and dry then you can flex seal but you'd be better off using a rubberized undercoating in the rattle can can be picked up at wall-mart or ace
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, leak, wheel