Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #1

17' Roo

Hello folks, I just bought a 2009 ROO from a camper show in Atlantic City. Picked it up on Monday night and heading for the Pennsylvania Mountains Saturday morning. The dealer we bought it from was very good on explaining the camper and gave an excellent walk-thru. I'm sure I will be checking back looking for tips because I only had a Coleman Pop-up before this.

NJLOAD
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
CampeRooo

very cool. now there's 3 of us.

I haven't seen very many roo owners in here, but the info is great.
The wife and i bought our 2000 in Des Moines this year, so far so good.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Newb

Yay for the 17' Roo! Ours is a 2007 that we're picking up on Tuesday. We were pop-up owners, too, and not for very long. So i'll love to see your questions and answers.
PattiPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #4

How about storage tips, when we cleaned out the Pop-up it was amazing how much stuff we had tucked away in there. I have a nice well stocked tool box I need to find room for and just spent money at a local store on plastic storage containers.

Any ideas on how you folks pack up would be appreciated.

NJLOAD
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Newb

NJ, does yours have a verticle sort of hanging wardrobe type cabinet? I can barely hang my clothes up at home, i really can't picture me doing that when i'm camping

I'd like to find some ideas for a better way to utilize that space. Maybe those wire drawers installed?
PattiPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Site Team

Great! another member of the RooKrew!

there are more than 3 Roo owners here. most are on the RV.net/Open Roads Forum.
if you have a lot of questions and you'll get better answers there than here.
maybe more Roo owners will post here too.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #7

PattiPatti, yes on the wardrobe type cabinet, I bought a sliding basket type gizmo from the local store and will install that in that cabinet. I guess after a few trips I will get a better feel for stowing things. I was thinking of a waterproof type tool box mounted near the battery out front, just haven't seen anything yet.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
How about storage tips, when we cleaned out the Pop-up it was amazing how much stuff we had tucked away in there. I have a nice well stocked tool box I need to find room for and just spent money at a local store on plastic storage containers.

Any ideas on how you folks pack up would be appreciated.

NJLOAD
I think you're on the right track with the plastic containers (assuming that you're talking about the ones that have lids and can be stacked together). We have 3 of those that we take with us when we camp out, one of them holds food that isn't canned, one of them holds dirty dishes and one of them holds our clothes or accessories like propane hoses, connectors, etc. We typically leave those in the truck until we get the camper all setup and the back bunk popped out and then use the bunk to hold the containers to keep them up off of the floor and what not. When we bought our roo, it was used, and the family before us had installed brackets and slide boxes in the shower area for storing all their clothes and towels and stuff. However, we know that we're going to want to use the shower, so i pulled all of that out of there and will be installing shower walls into it this spring (can you believe that our shower only came with the standard walls...not the plastic looking shower stall walls that most come with. Blew my mind...but we also lack the outdoor shower, so gotta make a choice there i guess.

Anyway, for the most part, we have just coats in the hanging closet and some hats and gloves, things like that. Our clothes are stored in our travel bags or in the dry box that we were talking about. Pots, pans, bbq tools, spices, paper plates, all that crap is stored in the drawers and little cabinets and we found a few more of those little (dollar store) plastic boxes that work really well for holding things like the spices and dish towels, things like that.

I've purchased a few of those "pop-a-______" holders as well for our paper plates, toothbrushes, kleenex boxes, etc. They work really well and most of the trouble is just keeping that stuff from stacking up on the counters, so I mounted them under the nuker...above the kitchen sinks so that they are out of the way, but easy to get to when you need em.

We've only had a chance to use the camper a couple of times, so we're still working out the bugs and coming up with that simple solution for keeping the imporant stuff in the camper all the time and only needing to deal with just the dry boxes for when we get home. I don't know about you, but the last thing i want to do when i get home is spend hours emptying everything out of it. I think we're almost there, just a little more fine tuning and we'll have it down to about 15 minutes - back it up...drop it...pull the 3 boxes....done!

One thing that i've thought about is getting a receiver hitch for the back of the roo. I think there's enough room back there without having to deal with hitting the black water tank, where i can have a receiver welded onto the frame and bumper so that I can add one of those carry racks that hold something like 300 lbs of whatever. I'd use that for firewood, tool box, maybe even those dry boxes...who knows. It's still a thought in process...I have a buddy who welds and i'm gonna tap his brain this spring for solutions to this idea.

Joe

Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
PattiPatti, yes on the wardrobe type cabinet, I bought a sliding basket type gizmo from the local store and will install that in that cabinet. I guess after a few trips I will get a better feel for stowing things. I was thinking of a waterproof type tool box mounted near the battery out front, just haven't seen anything yet.
I've used this type of dry box for years to store my ammo, tools, and a first aid kit that we take with us. Maybe this would be small enough, yet big enough? http://www.preparedness.com/sputdrybolop4.html (Link is for reference only, I do not work for nor represent this company)

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #10

Nice link on the tool box, I like the looks and price. I just wonder if I would mount it to the frame or use some sort of strap or something. Might have to get one and test it out.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
CampeRooo

I think if i were to mount this, I would drill a couple of holes on the bottom of the box and through a metal plate of some kind that would lay flat on the bottom, inside the box. Then run flat headed bolts through it and around the frame, through another plate on the bottom of the frame so that it grabs and hangs on. A pinch mount sort of thing, that way it can be removed if needed and also you dont risk weakening the tongue or a rail of the tongue by drilling holes in it. Might be easy enough to just load it in the front box....did you get a full slide through box in the front with your model?

Joe

Old 11-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #12

No on the slide thru, Just returned from the maiden voyage. Well we ran outta gas the last night there and the temps were 31 degrees, thank the almighty for the heated mattress, I have a nice electric tower heater but it was tucked away in the garage at home, but we put together some ideas for future trips. I guess with the cold temps and the hot water heater, you can go through two tanks of gas quick. I also need to invest in some plastic levelers to run the tires up on, as the first shower ran water down the spigot wall and onto the floor because we were a little off from side to side. All in all it was a great trip and loads of fun.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #13

Congrats on the new trailer. I've had mine for a couple of years now, I am so glad that I bought a roo, best trailer around.
STATIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo