Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

2002 Roo Leaking Front Bunk Door

Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing a 2002 17' Rockwood Roo. It appears to be in great condition with the exception of the front bunk floor rotting due to water damage. Can this be repaired or does the entire panel need to be replaced. If replacement is the only option does anyone have any idea on the cost in Canada?
Thanks so much for any feed back.
a steeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

[I'll move your thread to the Roo subforum for better exposure from other owners]

I would guess the bunk would be at least $500 without labor and probably more if they need to ship to you in Canada. Here is one thread that goes into it in a little more detail. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...elp-41464.html

But, you will want to reconsider this camper. I think buying any used trailer with signs of leaks and water damage will result in a never-ending battle. Granted, it would be a fun project if you have the time and skill and if the price is very low compared to others without water damage.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

Thanks Scott. It is a close co-worker who is selling it for approximately half the market value. I feel comfortable that all and any issues will be divulged but of course the water issue is the largest.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it might be a good deal then.

You might want to call FR at (574) 642-2640 and ask to speak to parts. I "believe" the person to speak with is Sheri Dunlap. I think you should check if they can get you a new door that will work for a 2002 Roo and, if so, how much to ship to Canada. You might want to have the VIN in case they need it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #5

I had the opportunity to inspect the trailer last night and with the exception of the front bunk and a couple of minor repairs the trailer appears to be in great shape for the year. I had a good look at the damaged front bunk and believe that it can be rebuilt. Should make for a good a good weekend project. Both layers of the plywood have rotted close to the bottom so they will need to be replaced as well as the styrofoam. If anyone has any experience with this task I would really appeciate any hints or suggestions. Cheers!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

I have a 2000 Roo 21. Being a rookie, I missed the bunk end damage in 2006 when we bought the camper. Spring 2012 I slipped and almost put my knee through the rotted area. I cut my replacement luan before our first spring trip and just laid it on the bed since I hadn't had time to fix it right. I also wanted to replace the seals before I took the time to fix the bed. Sheri Dunlop is the contact person at FR. Honestly she was not real helpful in getting the right seals. She sent pictures but couldn't get me measurements. FR offered replacement seals for 2005 and newer but not our units. I ordered both the seals and the replacement rubber for over the hinge. Today I would only order the white pinch welt seal from FR that is applied to the door. Not sure about the 2002, but the 2000 uses a bulb seal on the interior of the camper opening. I found a company in Sandusky, OH which sells the bulb seal. While I had the door opened up, I put wood blocks in for the pole brackets and tent pole. I also added two more aluminum 1x1s for added support for the bed since the adults sleep on this bed. Peeling the fiberglass off the outside of the door was a job. And I ended up having to rout the inside luan to get the bed sized right for the frame. The bunk feels pretty solid and sturdy now. I am thinking about putting the rubber self adhesive flashing at the bottom of the bunk end but really think the new seals should solve the problem. There is a pretty good you tube video that someone has showing how they fixed the bunk end and another one that shows how to keep the closed bunk end from leaking.

It took me two days to get this done.

Hope this helps.

Terry
DW, 5 Grandkids and Duke the Dog
2000 Roo 21
98 Suburban 4WD
tschneem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

2002 Roo Door Leaking.

Thanks Terry. Your information will be helpful. You mentioned that it was difficult to separate the outside fiberglass from the luan. any tips for this process?
Did you also replace the foam?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

I did not replace the styofoam but did add great stuff to tighten up the air gaps. Getting the luan free from the fiberglass was a pain. Once I laid the door flat on the floor it was easier. I just started with the end that was already seperated and carefully lifted the fiberglass so as not to crack it. In spite of the water damage and the fact that a quarter of the luan was already rotten, the ply against the fiberglass was still attached, tightly. I left it that way and just used contact cement to glue the fiberglass to the luan. This and the fact that I used liquid nail to glue the luan to the styrofoam, are why I had to rout around the edge to fit the frame back on the bed.

Terry
DW, 5 Grandkids and Duke the Dog
2000 Roo 21
98 Suburban 4WD
tschneem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, leak, roo