Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 02:14 AM   #1
IMSPIKE

2004 forest river flagstaff shamrock

HELLO ALL - I am in the process of purchasing the above listed hybrid. My brother in law and sister looked it over so I sent them the money to purchase it for me tomorrow. I have read a lot of the threads listed. The canvas and everything in the unit is in working order and was tested minus the water heater. Anything else I should be worried about looking over when i pick up in a few days. Older couple had it repossessed evidently. I am going to print off the scanned manual for the year make that i noticed in hear. I am having trouble find much info on that particular year. Thanks for any suggestions!
IMSPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #2

mostly you will find that pre-2014 models of the Roo/Shamrocks are pretty much similar with only differences in the floor plan. HYBRIDS in particular require special attention to details of rain water leakage in the tent area. The older models because of bunk design defects were vulnerable to this. Often the top clearance lights leaked water into the interior, so pay attention to them.

Many of those models suffer from delamination of the fiberglass directly under the front bunk due to water entering the front bunk hinge area and the bunk doors. You can tell if you have delamination issues IF the fiberglass has a bulging area ( pushed out) mostly notable in direct sunlight.

There have been at least a couple of threads from new owneers of previous older models that have this issue, with rain water leaking onto and into the interior of the bunk... front mostly as I recall.

Please note the age of the tires from the date code stamped into the sidewall. IF the current date is 6-7 years from the manufacture date then strongly consider putting on new rubber before doing ANY travel with that trailer. Numerous tire threads about tires AGING out before the tread shows any wear at all and failing on the hiway.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
IMSPIKE

2004 shamrock

Thank you for the suggestions. I have read up on the potential challenges with the water issues and that is something that I will have to investigate. From the pictures is doesn't appear that there has been any water damage. however the interior was looked at more close. Am i correct that the water issues can occur even when the unit is closed? Or only when it is open and being used? I am also going to look the brackets over real well also. It was pulled last night by my brother in law and said that it pulled well with no issues ( only about 45 min ), I was planning on driving it a hr futher for storage in IA this winter. I had planned on replacing the tires and repacking bearings before any further trips. Will definitely check the age of the tires before even attempting that move. It sounds like winterizing should be a breeze. I have 6 gallons of rv antifreeze and hope that will suffice with irish spring and dryer sheets. Also bought a full cover for the unit and it will be stored inside also. I will read up on the information listed in here for more pointers on winterizing. purchase price was $4750 so i hope i did ok!
Old 10-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #4

Thank you for the suggestions. I have read up on the potential challenges with the water issues and that is something that I will have to investigate. From the pictures is doesn't appear that there has been any water damage. however the interior was looked at more close.

delam issues are best seen in full sunlight

Am i correct that the water issues can occur even when the unit is closed? Or only when it is open and being used?

Open or closed... sometimes due to issues with the rubber strip at the top of where the bunk door closes... rain water will leak past that gasket and onto and ultimately through the tent ( KEEP the zipper windows zipped) onto the bunk door which will rot that area and cause delam of the bunk door... many have had to replace the bunk door and they documented those issues on this forum... MAINLY concentrate on reading older then 2014 posts as the newer designs do not suffer from the same issues as the older units...

I am also going to look the brackets over real well also. It was pulled last night by my brother in law and said that it pulled well with no issues ( only about 45 min ), I was planning on driving it a hr futher for storage in IA this winter.

Make sure the tires are aired up and look at them critically before moving further.

I had planned on replacing the tires and repacking bearings before any further trips. Will definitely check the age of the tires before even attempting that move. It sounds like winterizing should be a breeze.

with only a few pounds of compressed air and opening the appropriate faucets one at a time you can blow out 95% of the water in the lines and mostly eliminate the use of the pink stuff

I have 6 gallons of rv antifreeze and hope that will suffice with irish spring and dryer sheets. Also bought a full cover for the unit and it will be stored inside also. I will read up on the information listed in here for more pointers on winterizing. purchase price was $4750 so i hope i did ok!

With $4750 invested you got a deal...
may you have any great adventures... I know I have had good adventures with mine

read this thread about preventive maintenance for your roof...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-05-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
IMSPIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I have read up on the potential challenges with the water issues and that is something that I will have to investigate. From the pictures is doesn't appear that there has been any water damage. however the interior was looked at more close.

delam issues are best seen in full sunlight

Am i correct that the water issues can occur even when the unit is closed? Or only when it is open and being used?

Open or closed... sometimes due to issues with the rubber strip at the top of where the bunk door closes... rain water will leak past that gasket and onto and ultimately through the tent ( KEEP the zipper windows zipped) onto the bunk door which will rot that area and cause delam of the bunk door... many have had to replace the bunk door and they documented those issues on this forum... MAINLY concentrate on reading older then 2014 posts as the newer designs do not suffer from the same issues as the older units...

I am also going to look the brackets over real well also. It was pulled last night by my brother in law and said that it pulled well with no issues ( only about 45 min ), I was planning on driving it a hr futher for storage in IA this winter.

Make sure the tires are aired up and look at them critically before moving further.

I had planned on replacing the tires and repacking bearings before any further trips. Will definitely check the age of the tires before even attempting that move. It sounds like winterizing should be a breeze.

with only a few pounds of compressed air and opening the appropriate faucets one at a time you can blow out 95% of the water in the lines and mostly eliminate the use of the pink stuff

I have 6 gallons of rv antifreeze and hope that will suffice with irish spring and dryer sheets. Also bought a full cover for the unit and it will be stored inside also. I will read up on the information listed in here for more pointers on winterizing. purchase price was $4750 so i hope i did ok!

With $4750 invested you got a deal...
may you have any great adventures... I know I have had good adventures with mine

read this thread about preventive maintenance for your roof...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html
when purchasing the new tires any suggestion on brand tire and tred? i also need to buy a spare rim and tire and a spare mount to put on the camper. What has worked best for you? I know they are 13inch. I have asked that he checks age and what the exact size of tire is 13/50 or such. You may no the exact specs?
Old 10-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSPIKE View Post
when purchasing the new tires any suggestion on brand tire and tred? i also need to buy a spare rim and tire and a spare mount to put on the camper. What has worked best for you? I know they are 13inch. I have asked that he checks age and what the exact size of tire is 13/50 or such. You may no the exact specs?
There are 100's of tire posts on this forum. In the sizes that you probably will have on the Roo the two most common tires chosen are Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle Radial HD. I chose the latter and have been very happy with the few thousand miles I have on them so far.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
well my 2014 has 14 inch rims not 13"

You do have four tires correct?

As mentioned there are dozens of tire threads... GoodYear Endurance ST tires came onto the scene about 5 years ago and became popular because they not only were a good tire, but brought the manufacturing facility back to the USA from the orient...

GYE are also probably the most expensive tire out there... but who cares if they do not go flat easily on vacation???

I recently went to Walmart to replace a utility trailer tire and I bought a Carlisle tire. I bought it because it was heavy with sturdy sidewalls and about 60% of the price of a GYE. Maxis 8008 tires are also popular. You can get an inexpensive tire and rim from Walmart or Tractor Supply for a spare. I carry my spare in the tow vehicle. You might find that the rear bumper mounts might fail due to the weight of the tire on the paper thin metal bumpers on these trailers. Some have purchased a Bal brand under trailer tire mount... search on Amazon.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #8

The Roos went to 14" wheels (and Radial tires) in 2005 which will give you more tire choices. You can buy wheels and tires in one package and just bolt 'em on in your driveway -- eTrailer dot com is one source. I did this to my '06 Roo (made in 2005) a couple years ago. Including the spare. Spare tire carrier will bolt on the square rear bumper. Position it to the side of the little cargo door and get a fixed bracket as the ones that swing down just wobble until the metal fatigue breaks them.

You have a lifetime supply of RV antifreeze as you only need maybe one (1) gallon if that much. Drain and bypass the water heater and drain the freshwater tank -- never put it in the fresh water tank or water heater, it's only use is to displace the water in the water lines. T-valve out of your water pump and simply pump antifreeze until it runs out the faucets. Instructions abound. Actually antifreeze isn't needed either as it's easy to simply blow the water out of the lines. Belt and suspenders: blow the water out, fill with antifreeze, then blow that out. Regardless blow the antifreeze out as it's not tasteless as claimed.

-- Chuck
Old 10-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
IMSPIKE

Thank you
Old 10-07-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
IMSPIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
well my 2014 has 14 inch rims not 13"

You do have four tires correct?

As mentioned there are dozens of tire threads... GoodYear Endurance ST tires came onto the scene about 5 years ago and became popular because they not only were a good tire, but brought the manufacturing facility back to the USA from the orient...

GYE are also probably the most expensive tire out there... but who cares if they do not go flat easily on vacation???

I recently went to Walmart to replace a utility trailer tire and I bought a Carlisle tire. I bought it because it was heavy with sturdy sidewalls and about 60% of the price of a GYE. Maxis 8008 tires are also popular. You can get an inexpensive tire and rim from Walmart or Tractor Supply for a spare. I carry my spare in the tow vehicle. You might find that the rear bumper mounts might fail due to the weight of the tire on the paper thin metal bumpers on these trailers. Some have purchased a Bal brand under trailer tire mount... search on Amazon.
yes four tires. The bumper on this must not be factory. It is solid and already has the mount on it that is cool. I ordered omnis that were on it. Then decided to get the carlisles on sale.

Tags
flagstaff, forest river, shamrock