Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

2004 Roo 232 Hybrid Roof Contruction

Hi, new to the camper world and was a noob when looking at my sisters camper before we bought it. Its really great condition, except for the roof. My sister and brother in law were noobs as well, and when it came to maintenance, there was none for the roof. They bought it in 2010, used it twice, and its been sitting for the last 5 years. He did see a leak in the bathroom, and sealed up the slylight with some kind of black sealant he had laying around, and the stuff is rock hard. The corner of the slylight have all curved and are pointing straight up, the whole outside edge is pretty much cracked and brittle where I was getting all that black stuff and Im assuming Dicor off. When I went up to seal things up, I noticed all of this, as well as how soft the roof was, and all the cracking sounds I heard when I pushed on the roof, then saw how the rubber just seemed to be loose up there, so I went around the whole outside with the ladder and the whole thing is soft, cracking wood underneath etc, all the rubber looks good, as do most of the seals.

Now that you know the story, my question is this, how are these roofs constructed under that rubber? Ive been watching a ton of videos on replacing rv roofs, and im very handy so I know I can tackle the job, Im just unsure on how these particular roofs are constructed. From inside, looking in the AC vents, I can see styrofaom. Are these osb or plywood glued right to the styrofoam? Something else? Just trying to get an idea of what Im getting into materials wise.

By the way, picked it up for $1500 because the tents were eaten by mice and need replaced, priced those at $750, curious though, seem like a decent price even with the needed repairs? Im thinking Ill need some wall repairs to but will gauge that when Im on the roof. Thanks for any input or advice.

Heres a pic for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20526154_10212134887942437_2272125534576110770_n.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	147302  
LrndTheHardWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #2

Ok so Ive done a lot more searching since my post, I understand the makeup of the roof etc, so my question becomes, would what I felt as I went around the camper be normal? Push on it hard enough and of course Ill hear the cracking since the woods so thin?

I believe Im going to take the advice from someone on another thread to "fix the leak and keep camping". Ill replace the sky light thats cracking with the corners curling up, and reseal any other cracks I find, then fix the ceiling thats falling down in the bathroom as best I can, and keep camping.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

hope the repairs go well and you have a great time camping!
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Quote:
Originally Posted by LrndTheHardWay View Post

I believe I'm going to take the advice from someone on another thread to "fix the leak and keep camping". Ill replace the sky light thats cracking with the corners curling up, and reseal any other cracks I find, then fix the ceiling that's falling down in the bathroom as best I can, and keep camping.
I agree... Fix the skylight make sure all is weather tight and keep camping.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

Certainly look for rotted bunk ends around the hinge area... that can be expensive to repair/replace.

As far as the roof and leaks, I think I did a great job of preventing leaks before they started by using several rolls of Eternabond tape.

I posted a thread some time ago about what I did to keep leaks from happening for a long time. This should also work for you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Certainly look for rotted bunk ends around the hinge area... that can be expensive to repair/replace.

As far as the roof and leaks, I think I did a great job of preventing leaks before they started by using several rolls of Eternabond tape.

I posted a thread some time ago about what I did to keep leaks from happening for a long time. This should also work for you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html
Thanks for the tip, just looked while I was removing the tents, all along the doors at the bottom is crunchy and soft.... sigh.... More googling I guess
Old 08-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

I would start at the top and work down.
Replace the sky lights, then put a rubber roof on it.
Once the roof is water tight, start repairing the wood etc as I said from the top down.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
I would start at the top and work down.
Replace the sky lights, then put a rubber roof on it.
Once the roof is water tight, start repairing the wood etc as I said from the top down.
Well, the wood on the roof is nonexistent, most of the screws for the skylight just pulled right out by hand, and I dont mean they were loose, I mean they pulled straight out with no resistance, all but 2 or 3, and those ones werent secure at all either, I just couldnt get a grip on them, when I pushed on them with the screwdriver to get them out, they just damn near went halfway through the "wood". The whole roof feels like its like this.

Rubber looks good, but its not bonded anywhere at all. Theres absolutely no where to atttach a new skylight to, it would be held on solely by the sealants.

I called the local dealer, of course they said 4-5k to "repair" the roof. He said they cut 1x1 squares setting the blade at the depth of the luan and peel it off. Then replace all the luan, they do it this way for both inside and out. Ordering in a new roof sure sounds like less work, but I got what sounded like a very confused rep from that point on. This price was also them just cutting back the rubber and reusing it if possible. If not, the cost was "probably more".
Old 08-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

Is it a "walk on" roof?
The ones that aren't are VERY flimsy so to speak.
My last trailer was not "walk on" and the dealer made it clear to not try to or I would end up falling through. LOL
So you may not need a entire new roof, just put new wood where it has leaked??
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #10

I dont think it is, but, when I got the skylight off I put my arm up under the rubber as far as I could and all I could feel was buckled, sopping wet wood, and it hasnt rained here for awhile.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

If you have a big garage great, I don't I put a 12x20 canopy (garage) but added 10 foot EMT pipe for legs to get the roof tall enough to get the camper under it... enough even to stand up in the middle... do this for weather protection while working on the camper...

if you look at the plant video they have truss supports under the luan covering... are the supports bad? I would guess not...

depending on your do-it yourself skills, pull the entire membrane off and evaluate then... trussing up a solid roof is the hard part... putting on a rubber roof is the easiest and cheapest part if you can do it yourself... roof rubber is not that expensive and lots of youtube vids to show you how

with bad bunk ends too it sounds like you have a lot of work to do and money to spend on getting this thing right

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, roo, roof