Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

2007 Rockwood Roo

New to this forum so I posted this question in the wrong place and was advised to post it here for any answers or recommendations. We just purchased this camper over the weekend the prior owner mentioned the back fold out bed at the bottom has some water damage. After having it open in the rain we are having now we noticed the leak is coming from just behind the bed curtain rod. The bed itself has bubbled at the bottom and my husbands coworker seems to think you can just replace the wood that is under the laminant in the fold out. We are working on pin pointing the leak and once it is stopped then working on the bed platform itself. Does it seem reasonable that you can replace this wood or are we need to order a whole new foldout door? I come here for the best advice on this one. Thank you in advance.
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Pics of the delamination would help. You also need to closely inspect everything around the door hinge area.
The door core is sandwich luan.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #3

Photos of damage

I have attached a couple photos of the damage. Although you can’t see it the base if bubbling and feels slightly soft. Advice is welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8F91EBA-C222-4C7B-9E0C-2C56D02898C6.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	235551   Click image for larger version

Name:	64AC2CF1-7B58-4E1E-A5B4-94533A87E1F0.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	235552  
Old 08-04-2020, 06:55 AM   #4

Quote:
After having it open in the rain we are having now we noticed the leak is coming from just behind the bed curtain rod. The bed itself has bubbled at the bottom
Not sure about what you posted...
Quote:
behind the bed curtain rod
Is this on the outside end or the inside toward the camper? Are you talking about the hook rod that holds the bunk open? or the curtain rod that goes from side to side?

Searching using this site and google will find you past posts that talk about delam repairs, although more common is bunk door replacement. I looked into this a few years ago although I do not recall reading any recent posts. I recall one where the owner did fix the bed door.

The cost of a bunk door from IN is not bad but the shipping will kill you. Some get a dealer to add the door to an already shipping trailer to help this shipping cost.

I will keep my eyes open for past posts and send them on when I find them.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

The water is coming down from the curtain rod that goes from side to side inside the camper. The damage is to the inside of the fold down door at the bottom. I contact Forest River who quoted $412.50 + $40 crate charge for a new door and said they build to specs and also suggested replacing the seal and the "D" seal as well and quoted this on a per foot charge. Does this seem reasonable for a price?

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo