Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

2008 Roo 21ss

Looking to trade my Fleetwood bayside pop up for this unit.Local dealer selling for 10,900.Anyone know of any issues with this model that would make you not want to buy this.Looks very clean on computer haven't looked at it yet .
Mikefromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

Biggest issue on hybrids is water leakage. Check the bunk doors and the wall under the door very carefully for signs of delamination and water damage. On the inside, look at where the bunk door hinges to the wall of the trailer for damage.

Check the tents for mildew or other signs of leakage or lack of care.

Check the frame underneath for any signs of cracking.

Check roof for any signs of damage/leakage.

Make sure all appliances (fridge, furnace, stove/oven, microwave, converter, water pump, faucets, drains, toilet, water heater) all work. Note that fridge and water heater can use either propane and/or 110 AC to heat or cool, but they always need 12VDC for control, no matter which power source is doing the heaving lifting. Make sure they'll work on both propane and AC. (The fridge won't work on just 12VDC, as you pup fridge may have.)

Eyeball the tires. They might be new, they might be old. If old, you may be able to talk him down some ("I'm gonna have to buy new tires!")

Is the dealer including a weight distributing hitch (WDH)? If not, you might have another thing you can "deal" on.

I'm sure others will add some more stuff to look for.

Don't know if he'll give it to you, but maybe ask for some kind of warranty (30 days, 90 days, something).

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Had that camper! rockfordroo covered much. I will add don't eyeball the tires! Learn to read the DOT code for manufacture date. If 3 years or older, negotiate new tires in the deal! Operate the super slide several times (the bolts in the drive rods notoriously broke and needed to be upgraded) and CLOSELY inspect the seals. People don't care for them well and they stick and then tear. If a wiper on the slide seal is torn, the slide out box actually has to come out to replace it properly. Make sure the slide lock bars are with the camper because that big, heavy slide needs them, and make sure the manual slide motor crank is there. Also, make sure to run and cycle the air conditioner. Carefully check the floor for soft spots. The frame for the 21SS was the most stout of hybrids of that era, the fail was FR's using self-drilling screws to attach the tank hangers and stab jacks - make sure none are broke and everything is secure. Another thought is that the marker and clearance lights were poorly sealed at the factory and tended to leak. You might see some staining above the bunk end shelves if they did. I would negotiate in the deal having the dealer redo 100% of the exterior caulking! Finally, get up and eyeball the roof condition for yourself, especially the front and rear cap seals!

Good luck, hope it's cherry!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

Thank you both for the hindsight.As you have read I own a Fleetwood bayside popup.Probably the biggest piece of crap ever built.I have owned 3 Coleman/Fleetwood pop ups.I have dealt with roof problems,water leaks and now powerlift issues.I like the hybrid idea because I feel claustrophobic in a TT. I have to admit I'm a little worried about buying another piece of ....Thank you for your input and I will post what happens when I hear from the dealer.By the way my TV is a 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with a 4.7 V8 any idea of a weight distribution system I should get
Mikefromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

I've got an Equalizer on my Roo 19. Works great. But others seem to be pretty happy with other brands.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #6

I would get the Equal-I-zer 4 point wdh. You won't be disappointed. Best wdh on the market.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

I would keep lookinh. 10,900 is easy too much. I just picked up my 2007 roo 21ss in great shape in the 6,000 range off of craigslist.
wraenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #8

I just traded off my 2011 21SS for a 21BD. I got $10,000 for trade.
Could have got more, but the dealer deducted $600 because I admitted
that I was having trouble with the slide out. I would have gotten more
through Craig's list, but would not be able to sleep at night knowing
that I peddled a camper with a problem. Before trading, I contacted
two dealers for estimates to fix the problem. $1,000 to $1,200, not
counting parts, with only 60 day warranty.

I replaced the drive motor once and had been replacing strengthened
shear bolts about every fourth or fifth use. Thought about drilling and
putting in larger dia shear bolts, but was told that the existing bolts
are shearing so that more damage may not occur.

After I purchased the 21SS used, and had my first slide out problem,
a found a dedicated fuse had blown. The previous owner had installed
a 40 amp fuse in the receptacle marked "30 amp Max". I replaced it
with a 30 amp.

The slide out went in and out with no problems, and it sealed up
beautifully. Just got tired of replacing shear bolts at inconvenient
times.

Other than the slide out problems, I loved the camper and all of
it's features.

IMO, the most important things to look at when buying a used camper
are wheel bearings and brake pads. Safety first.
dogevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Site Team

If I remember correctly, 2008 21SS's had shear bolt issues and were fixed under warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo