Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #1

Smile 2011 Rockwood Roo 21ss Door Lock

Greetings all

I just purchased a Roo 21ss and was looking to upgrade the door lock. I purchased a really nice Keyless entry lock from RV Lock but it looks like there are gonna be fitment issues. Has anyone else been able to upgrade their lock without issue?

Picture Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	272419   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	272420  
CyberPsi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:47 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. What is the Mfg and model of the lock you got this would help folks in providing an answer.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #3

The camper is a 2011 Rockwood Roo 21SS but the lock came from RV Lock its their keyless compact version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. What is the Mfg and model of the lock you got this would help folks in providing an answer.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #4

I was referring to the Mfg of the lock and Mfg #
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #5

Unsure as I am not near the camper.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:08 PM   #6
Canadian Member

Welcome to the forum from just east of Toronto, Canada.

Unfortunately, according to RV Lock's Fit Guide they don't have a door handle to replace the original handle in your picture.

Go to this URL:
https://www.rvlock.com/pages/fit-guide
and click on any of the models they show. They specifically show your original handle and say they don't have a replacement for it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #7

I wonder if this model would work for you. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085T5XFWK pics of what it replaces look more similar to your old lock.
Byoung4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:15 AM   #8

What's wrong with the OEM lock? Same key opens my door and both bed doors. Why complicate things?

-- Chuck
Old 05-04-2022, 08:51 PM   #9

Cuz - and I’m only guessing here - he, uh, WANTS A KEYLESS OPTION?

(All caps for ease of comprehension).

Keyless lets you lock a trailer and still enable access, lets family not need to travel together with a single key, reduces need to carry a key, reduces number of keys out there, increases secure access across an entire family/guests (insomuch as any rv is secure when locked)… heck, OP could have a physical problem turning a key in a lock… any and all reasonable reasons for keyless.

Tell you what, keyless access to a car (Ford signature) can be incredibly helpful. I can only imagine the same (if not more) for an rv.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:10 AM   #10

Keyless access isn't true, at least on my Fords and your Audi -- still gotta carry the darn key to press a button on it and the Roo has several other locks on the bed doors so the complication has little convenience since you have to carry the same key that unlocks the front door anyway. Plus batteries have a habit of dying on me so a door key is required or risk being locked out.

My key ring has two keys on it: Expedition and Roo. No need for a remote for the Roo.

Everyone can make their own choices. Complicating a working system with something "high tech" is rarely my choice. YMMV.

-- Chuck
Old 05-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #11

The Ford system I'm referencing is the SecureCode keyless entry system, and is truly keyless entry (with the 5-button keypad, either physical softtouch buttons or capacitive touch buttons) - you simply punch in a combo for true keyless access to the vehicle (no need to have a key with you at all, not fob/transponder-based like the Audi).

This is a fantastic convenient option to be able lock all your valuables inside the vehicle (even the keys to the car can be secured). Personally, I've used this with the family when out at an activity when we're separate from one another and/or I don't want to carry keys with me (like small sailboat racing). They have access to the car and I don't run the risk of (a) losing them in the water or (b) giving them to a kid. Back in the day, I used to leave the car keys behind the fuel filler door. When those became lockable items, I'd hide them behind a tire, or actually IN the backside of a wheel. SecureCode access is a huge upgrade.

Keyless entry into the Roo means kids/guests/people without keys can come and go at their leisure and still maintain some small sense of security that comes with a locked RV. A set of keys to said trailer (and related) can be located inside, so - after opening the door with a combo - anyone can get to a single key (or set of keys).

Your minimalist key ring is set up the way mine USED to be setup (and what I prefer). But circumstances beyond my control forced me to move from two keys and a fob to seven keys and a fob - it's a pain to haul around, and I'd rather not hike with it (and that's not even the master trailer set, which also includes two additional keys for trailer locks, a small flashlight and a mini-tool). I bought a few additional trailer keys, so when I wander from camp, I can just carry one. One is additionally hidden/wired up outside the trailer, just in case.

Keyless entry, while battery operated, is enough of a convenience for some that it's an offered option for many applications, from cars and homes to RVs and trailers. Bonus: if the batteries do die? The lock still accepts a key. Hardly the definition of "high tech" (your tv remote is higher technology). In this case, the "complication" is added convenience and flexibility, and is valued enough that mass producers and marketers design, produce, and sell such systems.

One could ask a similar question: why "complicate" your life by having anything, let alone something as absurdly complicated (and "high tech") as a trailer?

OP sees the benefit and wants the convenience of keyless, combination based access to the trailer. You see the potential issues and see it as an unnecessary complication. If it's truly "YMMV," then why not let it be that way? *shrug* The bed you wake up in must have two curmudgeonly sides.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, door, lock, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo