Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Adventurer

2012 233s - How much $?

Thought that a thread on this specific topic may help future buyers.

I just saw posts in this forum that reflected that some people paid only 16,000 and comments about paying 30% off retail.

i paid 17,900 today before trade and thought it was fair. i negotiated down from 18,500 and i was influenced by the fact that a shamrock dealer didn't budge from their 19,999 price for their 233s.

No buyers remorse for me, but i could have used the additional savings and applied it towards some cool mods.

Congrats to those that bought their 233s at lower prices.

Please consider sharing what you paid so future buyers

Thanks
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #2

Our 233s was was ordered in July, 2011 and paid for in August, 2011. There was no trade-in, as we sold the popup on Craig's List at the dealer's suggestion. We upgraded/added several items (power tongue jack, raised refrig door, power awning, slide topper, spare tire & cover, and anti-sway bar) at the dealer's suggestion. When it arrived, we received an LED, 22" tv, U-shaped dinette, and an interior battery cut-off switch unexpectedly as part of the purchase. The salesman was right about the "added" extras, they were all useful additions. With a new hitch and installation of the sway bar, taxes and fees, we paid $18,900 at Orlando RV. I tried every local dealer in Jacksonville and, even, went "shopping" on the internet with my offer from Orlando RV trying to get another dealer to beat it. The OrlandoRV salesman encouraged me to do so for "peace of mind". One Jacksonville dealer warned me that "something is wrong" with my deal, because he could not come with $2500 of matching it. A 3 hour drive saved me at least $2500.

We have camped for 15 days in it and find it to be an amazing camper. Over 30 years in tents and a popup, have brought us to today and we are very happy campers.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Adventurer

Thax Upgrader. I too liked all the extras you mentioned that come with the 2012's.

The WDH and the rapidly decreasing fuel gauge in my TV will take some adjustment.

My F150 pulled my old 625d pup like it wasn't there, but i observed about a 500 to 1000 RPM difference while pulling the 233s home and also experienced more upshifting. It has a 5.4l engine and the tow package and the 233s is about 3-4k below max weight rating so I know I will be okay but our gas budget will have to be adjusted.

i didn't notice a difference due to the length (it's 4 ft longer than the 625d) but I will need to pick up some tow mirrors.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the longer, taller, double axle 233s was so much easier to back into my narrow drive than the 625d. First attempt was a success.

This alone was worth the upgrade as my family used to wager as to how many times i would have to circle the block before getting the exact angle I needed to navigate the narrow drive.

Slept in it in the driveway last night (picked it up yesterday) with DD#2 and my streak is still alive. (it has rained every time i have slept in a camper).

Loved the sound of the rain on the tent ends.

Best news... No leaks!

Can't wait to visit one of our state parks and break it in.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kmprs

Slept in it in the driveway last night (picked it up yesterday) with DD#2 and my streak is still alive. (it has rained every time i have slept in a camper).

Loved the sound of the rain on the tent ends.

Best news... No leaks!

Another benefit of the rain the first night is it seals the seams on the tent ends. They needed to get wet and expand. The manual recommends it, too.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

if people are going to post what they paid, it would help if they posted the dealer they bought from.
though i have a 2007 Roo 23SS, i bought it new from House of Camping, outside of Chicago.
i bought in the late fall, since most dealers want to lower inventory during the winter and generally lower their prices. i found that the majority opinion was that this was the best time to buy, since few buy at this time since they can't go camping. they also will be getting the new model years in at the end of winter. mine was an '07 and they would be getting '08 models after the next spring.
so, i got a great price on it, lower than RVW and RVDirect.

so, a lot has to do with the time of year you buy. late winter/early spring is generally the worse time to buy, since this is before the camping season starts.
and you're going to pay more for the new year models.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Site Team

I was on the lot at Family RV in Orange County CA. The Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL was advertised as a "Price Leader" at $9997. Being new to RV shopping I couldn't beleive the price. While I was walking back to it a "Sold" sign went up. The new owners-to-be allowed me to take another look while they did the paperwork.

I couldn't stop thinking about the Cruise Lite and ended up at the other Family RV lot in Ontario, CA, close to home. With everything included the price out the door was about $1000 higher than expected based on information from the OC dealership. I almost walked away from the deal due to the higher cost. As I began to exit the trailer I turned and sit down as I started thinking about the deal on the table based on pros & cons. In the end the price was fair & reasonable. After all I had the chance to buy it at $9997 but didn't.

After I gave a deposit & filled out the paperwork I found out there was another customer interested in the same unit.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Adventurer

Ruffs RV in euclid ohio had two 233s on the lot and listed on their. Both had an internet price of $18,496.

both units were featured at the January RV show at the Cleveland, Oh IX Center.

They essentially were in Ruff's possession for at least 4 months.

I respect those that are willing to place a custom order and wait for the unit to be built.

Me personally....i have always bought pre owned homes, cars off the lot, items off craigslist/ebay and standard off the shelf appliances, tools and machinery. always thought i could get a better deal this way and have a better understanding of what I bought.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Team

4kmprs, since you live in Ohio, did you get a quote from RVW in Lakeview?
if so, what was their quote?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
Adventurer

i briefly reviewed rvw, but did get a quote through them.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #10

Just to clarify why we "custom" built our 233s. All the models we saw at dealerships in Jun/July/Aug, 2011 were decorated inside with dark wood finishes and dark fabric. We were in no hurry to have our camper immediately, so opted to custom build one. We received a camper with the extras we wanted within 8 weeks and paid the exact same price as the "older, on the lot" camper with add-ons and colors we did not care for.

If you are not in a hurry, I'd vote to have your camper built with options you chose (paid for) rather than, what another person/dealer has available. By having it custom built, we were lucky to recieve add-ons we did not pay for OR expect. A 22" LEDHD tv, battery cut-off switch, and upgraded cd/dvd/stereo system were an unexpected bonus. I am aware that we were in the right place/right time.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Adventurer

Upgrader,

You bring up very good reasons for proceeding with the custom build approach. Thanks for sharing them. I agree, timing is everything and it's great to hear that you benefited from some unplanned enhancements to the unit you ordered.

Happy Camping!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #12

We bought our Roo 25RS from a dealer here in Michigan and paid 17,800. That includes everything like freight and extra fees. RV Wholesalers quoted me $3,000 more for the same unit and that was before any additional fees and camper prep so we probably saved more like $4,000. I posted a thread shortly after signing our papers "Is my dealer screwing with me?" and it really does have a ton of great advice from other posters. DH and I had never bought a TT before and had no idea how to approach it. We were comfortable with buying cars, but campers were a whole different story.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #13

I just found out today that our 233S rolled off the assembly line last Friday. We are waiting for the carrier to deliver it to House Of Camping in Bridgeview, IL. It is a 2013. It has the U-shaped dinette, raised panel doors, convenience package C, electric awning, slide topper, power tongue jack, battery, and full propane tanks. Pretty much every thing you can get other than alloy wheels. HoC had it listed on their website as on order when I put my down payment on it. The price out the door from George is $18,500.00. RVW couldn't touch this price.

And I got a great price on a new Equalizer installed also. Sold the old WDH with my old Starcraft so I could move up to a 2 1/2in Equalizer shank. Just never really liked using the sleeve.

Now we're just waiting for the call to come pick it up!!!
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #14

We purchased our Roo 23SS in April of 2011 it is a 2012 model with u dinette etc. We added a power awning, power tongue jack; and a slideout awning in addition to the "usual" convenience package this unit is sold with. We signed our papers for 16,200 with RVW. The salesman said it was great deal and about the lowest he'd seen one sell for, but I love to haggle and did a ton research about pricing to ensure I was gettting the best possible deal for myself.
The kicker is that when the factory made the unit there was no power jack installed, no slideout awning, and no power awning installed. Our camper was being delivered from FR the same day we picked up so RVW had no idea it was coming this way. Apperantly the sales dept screwed up and the extras were listed incorrectly on the order form.
To make a long story short (and to credit RVW) they handled it great RVW installed both the tongue jack, and slide out awning right there, they offered to have FR re-do the awning, but I really didn't want it anyway (this was a DW option) so they gave us a credit for it and sent us a refund since we had a check from our credit union with us. In addition to that they gave me my equalizer hitch, the wingman for the antenna and vent covers all for free for the inconvenience and having to spend about half a day waiting on their lot. I will always stand by RVW even though they get bashed on here a lot. They really went out of their way to fix a bad situation for me.
lriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Site Team

wow, i guess the economy is getting better.
prices seem to have gone up since i bought mine.

i bought my brand new '07 Roo 23SS for $14,500. i too love to haggle and knew i got a great price. but i bought a model on the lot that had sat during the camping season, unsold, and it was now November. the dealer sells high volume and i'm think wanted to get it off the lot to make room for the new model year after winter.
they even installed my Equalizer for free, even though i had bought it from another dealer, RVW.

but i remember many Roo 23SS buyers getting their new ones for not much more than i paid.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #16

We paid $18,509 from House of Camping and got the power tongue jack for free. Then my hubby decided to get the nicer wheels which was an additional $350. It has C package and power awning and awning over slide. We got many quotes and no one even came close. One dealer couldn't come close on a 2012 and ours is a 2013. He said it was a very aggressive price. I feel like we got a great deal.
irish6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #17

$16,300 From RVW last Feb 2012

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #18

We want to buy a 233S but it will be next spring only. We will still camp in our Coleman TT for the 11th year. The dealer here in Ottawa quoted us $21,700 plus tax (13%). Hopefully, we'll be able to negotiate. We are also going to have to buy an new towing vehicle. So far, we are thinking a Ford F-150. Not sure if EcoBoost or not. One question about the cd/dvd/sterio system. Can I plug my MacBook Pro to it to watch movies? I heard it has a USB port. Can I plug a stick with .avi files and play movies? Can wait to get it.
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kmprs View Post
Ruffs RV in euclid ohio had two 233s on the lot and listed on their. Both had an internet price of $18,496.

both units were featured at the January RV show at the Cleveland, Oh IX Center.
We ordered a different model from Ruff's earlier this year and found their price to be the best between RVW and that certain Shamrock dealer mentioned earlier. I found them to be great to deal with other than their follow-up is a little to be desired. BTW, I had a terrible experience at the local Shamrock dealer and will never go there again. I got a heavy dose of the sales pitch and they were set on taking advantage of me. They didn't realize, however, how much homework I had done prior to going to their dealership.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL
I just found out today that our 233S rolled off the assembly line last Friday. We are waiting for the carrier to deliver it to House Of Camping in Bridgeview, IL. It is a 2013. It has the U-shaped dinette, raised panel doors, convenience package C, electric awning, slide topper, power tongue jack, battery, and full propane tanks. Pretty much every thing you can get other than alloy wheels. HoC had it listed on their website as on order when I put my down payment on it. The price out the door from George is $18,500.00. RVW couldn't touch this price.

And I got a great price on a new Equalizer installed also. Sold the old WDH with my old Starcraft so I could move up to a 2 1/2in Equalizer shank. Just never really liked using the sleeve.

Now we're just waiting for the call to come pick it up!!!
I just paid $ 17500 for our new 233s with every option available and got a 22 inch tv as well. The salesman said that was.nuts for the owner to approve it. Was the a.good deal
fountainracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s