Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #1

2016 roo 233s swapped out for passport

Howdy, just wanted to drop in and say hello. We picked up our 2016 roo 233s (March production) this week and got it ready for our first trip, waxed, moved in, and let it air out for a few days while I seasoned the tents. We traded down from a long passport and really enjoy the ease of traveling with this smaller camper. Out little ones love it.

I tested the ac and noticed very little air flow from the rear ceiling vent during my pdi and just considered it OK because all the vents were wide open but investigated and pulled the ac covers off and found several obstructions. Hope to test it when I can plug back in to power. I will post a few pics tonight.

Anyone else have any issues with the vents?

I also inspected the furnace flexible duct work and noticed about a foot of extra duct work that I shortened. The other issue is the angle it exits the furnace. There is no room between the furnace and lower drawer so they just bent it in to male it fit. This reduces the vent output by the entrance door.
teamtlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

Congrats! I am doing the same thing (coming downhill from a toyhauler). Well, I am doing the same thing if it ever shows up.

It seems that most people go the other direction so I always enjoy hearing from people that move to canvas, instead of away from it. I am excited to bring the outdoors in and as you pointed out...tow a much shorter length.

I have heard others report on obstructions and I am sure they will weigh in soon.

Enjoy!
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Hi Roovder, Those toyhaulers are cool but I agree with you. The nature and ease of setup and towing is what attracted us to something smaller. Helps I can park it in the driveway also instead of on the street. I am a little worried about how to keep it cool in the middle of summer with the tents but I am sure we will manage. After all that is part of camping. lol.
P3 Brake Controller
Timbren Suspension
teamtlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #4

Yeah...I never mind the heat. How well the wife will adjust....well, gonna worry about that later, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtlr View Post
I am a little worried about how to keep it cool in the middle of summer with the tents but I am sure we will manage. After all that is part of camping. lol.
Google Popup Gizmos.
#1 mod for hybrids.
Also Reflectix in the tent windows.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

I went from tents to 31 Shasta TT, now down to Roo 23IKSS do not regret this one bit. I had originally been looking at a fifth wheel until I saw how versatile the Hybrids are.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Love falling asleep with the bunks open and looking at the stars. Another thing that keeps us in a hybrid is that the shorter length opens up accessibility to many more sites that won't fit the. big boys.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Congrats! I am doing the same thing (coming downhill from a toyhauler). Well, I am doing the same thing if it ever shows up.

It seems that most people go the other direction so I always enjoy hearing from people that move to canvas, instead of away from it. I am excited to bring the outdoors in and as you pointed out...tow a much shorter length.

I have heard others report on obstructions and I am sure they will weigh in soon.

Enjoy!

Which toy hauler and what is the downside to those, last weekend we saw a guy with a International Tractor pulling a 44 foot Voltage. Nice setup but just seems like a lot of work for that size setup also where do you store stuff that size, biggest I can go with my truck is 11,200#'s and about 33 feet of driveway space.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

I had the xlr 24hfs. It was a great unit and I never had a single issue with it in the 2 years I had it. I really only used the hauling part to take my kayaks so the ability to drop down 2500 pounds and get 7 feet shorter without really losing interior space was pretty enticing. The feature I liked the most was the electric bed next to the screen garage door. That is what led me to the realization I missed the tent aspect and being closer to the outside. Sleeping in the actual queen bed was downright claustrophobic sandwiched between the garage wall and the front wall of the unit....only open at the foot of the bed. I really really like the 27HFS and I know many people pull them with a half-ton but I want no part of that.

I have only good things to say about the XLR line and I hope my new Forest River product is similar as far as issues. It is true what they say, sometimes you have to experience a few campers to figure out what is important.

I am hoping this is a great fit for us for the next 3-6 years and then I might move down to an r-pod as we will be empty nesters at that point and probably go further from home. Who knows...might not want to go back to all hard walls.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #10

Ah I thought of going to a Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler but they weigh too much and the thought of carrying more crap is not the direction I want to go in. My 2012 Shasta TT was my first nice layout and decent features just way too big for the space and size, also had trouble with the layout of the connections, and barely sleeps 4. My buddy has the 21SS Roo and after deciding against a Fifth wheel we went with the 23IKSS and it is perfect. The ability to put more stuff in the pickup and travel easier with the smaller lighter Roo is so much better. The gensets are very quiet on the new Fifth Wheel Toy Haulers.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Tags
233, 233s, roo, sport