Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

2017 233S replacement power cord

Our neighbor mowed over our power cord, and ripped it right out of the side of our camper. In addition to having to get that fixed we need to replace the cord. He is paying, thank god. That said, what's the going rate for these cords?
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Boojca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

dozens of cords on amazon... search 30 amp rv power cord...

hopefully the socket can be reused...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

Thanks! I honestly didn't know whether to be mad, cry, or both. Thankfully they are good neighbors and will pay whatever it takes but man...and it was just so careless and easily avoided. Sigh.
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #4

Try to find a new cord rated for your camper, same length and amperage. I'm sure Camco or Amazon will have a good replacement cord. Don't go cheap, you will get what you pay for.
Chief55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #5

Oh, we will be getting a cord from the Dealer...I want to be absolutely sure to get the correct one. I was just curious what it might cost...I'm sure the repair to the outlet is not going to be cheap...argh. Glad I don't have to pay for it...
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Old 08-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #6

Since you have to replace the cord and outlet anyway, I think you should consider converting your connection to use the SmartPlug setup. Take a look at them here: https://smartplug.com/rv/
I've seen a couple of people on this and other RV forums recommend them. I plan on asking Mike Sokol who is giving a couple of power related seminars at the Int Rally his opinion of them

It is a mod I have on my possibilities list...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #7

Wow, that looks really interesting. I am going to ask our repair guy about them.
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Old 08-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
You can Google the type of cord you need and obtain pricing that way. Amazon,Walmart, Camco, RV dealers, there are lots of sources.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #9

If your going to have a RV dealer repair the damage to the cord and your RV, then you can forget the prices found online. The dealer will charge much more than those prices. You can do yourself and neighbor a favor by ordering a power cord online, the ones online are the same as what your dealer is selling. Where do you think the dealer gets their replacement cords?
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

Curious. No just nosey

Why was he mowing in your yard or did your cord go across his yard. 🤔🥃
Have one on me.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #11

I'll bet the dealer will charge double what you can buy one on-line for. It depends on how much you like your neighbor. I'll also bet your neighbor also will check on-line prices.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Since you have to replace the cord and outlet anyway, I think you should consider converting your connection to use the SmartPlug setup. Take a look at them here: https://smartplug.com/rv/
I've seen a couple of people on this and other RV forums recommend them. I plan on asking Mike Sokol who is giving a couple of power related seminars at the Int Rally his opinion of them

One the first mods I did on our Sunseeker, retired electrician friend of ours was very impressed with it.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

So cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post

The plug looks so happy. Smiling...
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #14

He was mowing his lawn. They are good friends and they needed some extra sleeping space bc they had a houseful here for a family event (off site) So we parked our camper at their house (3 doors down from our house) for their daughter and her fiance to sleep in. They were only sleeping in it, and not using the bathroom or anything, so we knew it would be safe. We didn't count on him mowing the lawn, hahaha.
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Old 08-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

UPDATE: We have a very good, highly recommended private RV repair guy taking care of us. Less than $300 for everything, including him coming to us to fix it. Just waiting for the parts to come in and we will be in business. Should be all fixed and ready to roll within the next two weeks! That would NEVER happen if we had to take it somewhere...and we didn't want to trust just anyone. Oh, I didn't mention that not only did he run over the cord but it also ripped it right out of the side of the TT, so it's a little more than replacing just the cord. Thankfully not any damage to the side of the TT.
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Old 08-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojca1 View Post
UPDATE: We have a very good, highly recommended private RV repair guy taking care of us. Less than $300 for everything, including him coming to us to fix it. Just waiting for the parts to come in and we will be in business. Should be all fixed and ready to roll within the next two weeks! That would NEVER happen if we had to take it somewhere...and we didn't want to trust just anyone. Oh, I didn't mention that not only did he run over the cord but it also ripped it right out of the side of the TT, so it's a little more than replacing just the cord. Thankfully not any damage to the side of the TT.
Wow! $300.
It isn't that difficult of a job, to pay that much. Even with replacing the socket.
But I know some don't have the time to do it and find it much simpler to pay to have done.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #17

30 RV/marine amp power cords are generic, there is none that's specific or "correct" for the Roo. Likewise the power inlet connector. I'd avoid the "dealer" at all costs unless you're prepared to leave the trailer for weeks to get it repaired. A couple hour job for the connection at most.

Put me on the curious list why your power cord was where he was mowing. I'm guessing this was at home.

-- Chuck
Old 08-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #18

it was at their house...we let them borrow it for extra sleeping space for their daughter (our former babysitter) and her fiance as they had a housefull for a family reunion nearby.
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #19

The parts were $200something....and then the labor/travel for this guy to come to our house. He has said it's not difficult as well, but honestly we feel more comfortable having a trained professional do it so we know it's not going to burst into flames on us. hahaha.
2017 Roo 233S
2019 Tundra 5.7L V8
Old 08-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #20

I talked to Mike Sokol of RVElectricity.com. He HIGHLY recommends the SmartPlug setup. He passed one around and I was impressed with how well it was made and how easy it is to use.
Many folks are not aware that the OEM version is a twist-lock. That is, you push it on, twist it about 5 degrees, then screw down the collar to lock it in place. Skip the twist or lock and you are asking for trouble. This type of connection was originally designed for workshops to plug in heavy machinery...

He also recommended that before you plug into a pedestal, you give the receptacle a spritz with first contact cleaner then a silicone lube. Don't used WD-40, it will slowly deteriorate the plastic in the plug.
Finally, if you ever get a chance to attend one of Mike's seminars, do so. Informative and entertaining.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, power, replacement