Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #21

The table and chairs option sure make the unit look more upscale than ours but you lose so much storage. We have cabinets above the dinette plus under both seats. I would not like to lose all that.
Back to the original post, we are starting our fourth season with the ikss and have not found anything better for us. Kitchen storage is huge for a 23 ft camper.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #22

Nice to read people with 24WS respect people with 23IKSS and vice versa.......and are not bashing each other. As I said in my first response, it's a question of preferences, and everyone is different......at the end, Roo is the way to go!
We did buy a 2016 23ws and since then, they made changes to that model and called it a 24ws.
The kitchen and table are now on the opposite sides, but we love our 2016 23ws with the U-shape table......Not for everyone, but that was the way to go for us, and love it !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #23

I have never seen a 24WS in person, so I can only give you my "take" on ours.
Negatives: 1) Because of the opposing slides there is no heat duct from the rear (where the furnace is) to the front meaning it takes a while for the front to warm up; 2) Because the fridge is in a slide, the heat cannot exhaust through the roof which would be a natural chimney. The heat exhaust is the same as the intake, just mounted higher on the side. This is not naturally efficient and requires fans to help move the air along.
Positives: 1) Absolutely love the island. Besides the added storage space it acts as a great serving space to the dinette; 2) Nice viewing angles to the tv whether at the dinette or the sofa; 3) Hot water tank is on driver side back, just to the rear of the shower. Provides almost instant hot water to the shower.
With our old 183 hybrid (no slides) we already gave up some space under the awning to set up a side table and store some gear we carried in totes. Now the totes are stored under the kitchen slide so we don't notice much difference. Additionally, we like to spread out so we set up the picnic table under an E-Z up away from the camper so we are not under the awning as much as some others.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Nice to read people with 24WS respect people with 23IKSS and vice versa.......and are not bashing each other.
That's why I'll still be hanging around here, even when I get my new TT and sell the Roo.😣
Hybrid owners are the Best!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Nice to read people with 24WS respect people with 23IKSS and vice versa.......and are not bashing each other.
......at the end, Roo is the way to go!
Ahem... Roo or Shamrock is the way to go.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #26

Ok. So based on all the amazing feedback, I can at least be assured of one thing.....I can't make a bad choice no matter what I choose.

I have decided to go with the IKSS and here are my reasons:
1. I have never stepped foot inside an actual 24WS because the dealers don't have any in stock and im worried that a virtual Youtube tour is not good enough to base a purchase of this size on.
2. I love the amount of storage in the IKSS, especially the large cabinets located on either side of the entrance door. Perfect for hanging the kids coats and shoes.
3. With the kitchen on a slide, there is a lot of extra room to support the island, and im not worried that it will be in the way.
4. This one is just a preference, but I just like the way it looks with the island. It sort of takes away the feeling of being inside a box. No disrespect to those who love their 24Ws.

Well, I could have just flipped a coin, but the feedback from this post has absolutely given me the information that I needed to choose what I feel with be the right Roo for my family. Sheesh! It was easier picking baby names!

Lastly, my dealer has advised me that my order will take approx. 10 weeks and that I will be getting a 2018 model. I have a feeling it is going to be a long 10 weeks.

Only one more decision to make.....Oyster or White??? Lol

Thanks again everyone!!!
RooRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #27

Thumbs up

Congrats on you future Roo! We like the back bedroom in our ikss for the kids. Since we stay up later we can put them to bed and have our adult time.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #28

Nice to know you finally made up your mind, which is hard at times.
This being said, white is very conventional and oyster was my choice. A very nice contrast with the black that surrounds the hybrid.

Congrats
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Nice to know you finally made up your mind, which is hard at times.
This being said, white is very conventional and oyster was my choice. A very nice contrast with the black that surrounds the hybrid.

Congrats
X2 - It might even help hide the dirt/dust a little better. I like the look of the Oyster and it was worth the up charge to us.

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #30

Good decision, but in reality,you couldn't go wrong with either. Both are great,just a matter of personal preference.
Just like the color!
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #31

Wow... this seems to be common debate. Similar to many, I wrestled with the same issue a few months ago... IKSS vs WS. If I had my way right off the bat, I'd have purchased the IKSS... but DW expressed her opinions and convinced me on the WS. The big factor being access to the bathroom when traveling... plus she was a big fan the U-dinette. I also liked the private back room.

We picked up one of the last 2017 23WS's from RVholesalers in December. I think we made a good choice for our needs. I think we got a much better price on the WS than we would have on the IKSS and the trailer weight was a little less with the WS. The wardrobe slide provides a crazy amount of storage if you mod it right... and it doesn't encroach much on the awning space as others mentioned.

So far, we are pleased with it. We like the layout. Overall quality of construction materials seems better than I expected. Fit and finish is so-so.. had to re-caulk some seams and need to inspect further when the weather is warmer, but that seems to be common. Prior to this we had a Coleman Niagara, which we loved... but setup and take-down were lengthy processes. Also, the lack of access to interior storage while the unit was closed was a pain. Can't wait to get on the road this season! Best of luck to you with your unit!
HydroGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #32
Site Team

The 23IKSS, the 23WS and the 233S were original FR designs and a big reason why FR is the industry leader in hybrid TTs.

No other RV manufacturer, over the past few years, has been as innovative as FR in hybrid floorplans.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #33

yes indeed Bikendan.... we like to go to the RVs shows - and of all the manufacturers out there, the Roos and Shamrock hybrids really appealed to us. Six years ago, we really wanted the 233S but had to settle for a HW popup due to weight limits on the tow vehicle. We later saw the 23IKSS and that one was on my wish list if we ever upgraded. We have since gotten a better tow vehicle and I was still looking hard at the 23IKSS, but that kitchen slide under the awning taking up valuable awning space held me back. Then we saw the 23WS - we have had our 23WS for a year now and have no regrets. All are great floorplans, which makes it so hard to pick......
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote