Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #1

2017 Rockwood Roo 17 Nightmare

Anyone else have issues with these bunk ends on Roos? Constant silicone coming apart even after dealer fixes. Oh and my bathroom medicine cabnit flew off the wall going down a gravel road, quality install I tell ya, 2 inch of glue and short screws yeesh. Nightmare unit
DeliveryJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryJay View Post
Anyone else have issues with these bunk ends on Roos? Constant silicone coming apart even after dealer fixes. Oh and my bathroom medicine cabnit flew off the wall going down a gravel road, quality install I tell ya, 2 inch of glue and short screws yeesh. Nightmare unit
Yes, many reports of canvas to trailer leaking. I have not followed up on the repairs but I do know enough to stay away from an RV with silicone.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Yes, many reports of canvas to trailer leaking. I have not followed up on the repairs but I do know enough to stay away from an RV with silicone.
cavie, the OP has a hybrid TT and silicone is used quite a lot with the canvas bunk ends. from the factory and for repairs.

Delivery Jay, your Roo is 3 years old. are these recent issues?
my 2007 Roo had a loose medicine cabinet that was fixed during the 1st year of warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
cavie, the OP has a hybrid TT and silicone is used quite a lot with the canvas bunk ends. from the factory and for repairs.
yep, I know that, BUT it apparently does not work very well with all the complaints I read about. I don't run with the "Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results crowd".
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Sham183

This is the stuff I use. I do it myself and never have any issues with it. Dealers are not always the best for repairs. Many use this same stuff for the bunk ends among other areas. I honestly do not know what else you are to use other than a silicone type product. If there is something out there I’m not aware of it. This is basic maintenance that is always needed on hybrids and the bunk ends it’s just part of owning one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1933.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	214397
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #6

If you stay away from a pop up or hybrid with silicone then you probably won't be buying new at a dealer either! Silicone and similar is used all over tent bunk ends at the manufacturer... some with less than pleasing eye appeal, even sloppy from the manf floor.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #7

DeliveryJay...

one of the best things about owning an RV is the experience you gain fixing things yourself ( small things) and knowing it was done correctly the first time... oh and saving the time and gas money not having to haul it to the dealer and having it fixed by a guy that makes $15/hr and is looking for another job.

Take some time with a new tube of caulk and a screwdriver and get to know your bunk ends intimately. You may find that the vinyl bunk tent is too small to be anchored properly on the edges... something that an RV tech would never bother telling you when a new smear of silicone will look like he took care of the problem.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

[QUOTE=DeliveryJay;2179325]Anyone else have issues with these bunk ends on Roos? Constant silicone coming apart even after dealer fixes. Oh and my bathroom medicine cabnit flew off the wall going down a gravel road, quality install I tell ya, 2 inch of glue and short screws yeesh. Nightmare unit[/QUOTE

I am wondering how much you paid for that Rockwood Roo ? Perhaps somewhere between 20 and 25,000?. I have a Roo and I don’t have those particular problems however I know when I was buying this product that it was going to be built on the cheap. To get a really quality RV unit today I would have to go with something like Airstream . But I don’t want to pay the price that Airstream wants for one of their models. So I knew I was getting myself into when I decided to purchase a Forest River RV . As one poster said it’s best to become intimately involved with the maintenance and operation of your RV . Good luck with your Rockwood Roo in the future !
tworootrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

What silicone on the bunk ends? The only place where a Roo has silicone is they use it as an adhesive in the channel where the bottom edge of the tents is attached to the door. Then there is a small bead ran about 2 inches each direction at the corners. Are your tents coming loose around the bottom edge?

I seem to remember they had an issue back around 2016/17 on certain ones, where some Doofus in the factory did a crappy job of attaching the tents.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
I seem to remember they had an issue back around 2016/17 on certain ones, where some Doofus in the factory did a crappy job of attaching the tents.
Gee, thanks. We have a 2017. I look at our bunks all the time and the attachments seem to be fine although the silicone caulk job looks like something I would do.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo