Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

2017 Roo 233S: Two Questions

Howdy,

Just brought home my new Roo 233S Hybrid after months of research and couldn't be more excited to take her out (we named her Kanga).

Two questions though (I am sure there will be more):
1) The 2017 model doesn't appear to have a way to secure the mattresses into the folded bunks. I have been reading that the older units had snaps but I have no snaps. I do have webbing that sits on top of the bunk to hold stuff and know I could unsnap this webbing prior to folding the bunks and use it to hold the mattress in place. Just not sure if this is proper use and if it will lead to other issues. How are the 2017 owners (I assume this applies to other models) securing their mattresses?

2) Is there a battery disconnect somewhere so when I put her into storage I can kill all drain on the batteries? I looked in the fuse box under the fridge and I see the A/C circuit breakers and I see all the fuses, but nothing that would disconnect the house batteries (I have two).

Thanks!
Seth
rvholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #2

The battery kill switch on my 2016 233s is under the propane tanks in front of the battery.
I find with the bar that hold the canvas open holds in the beds just fine. That is how I was told to put up the beds
Hope this helps and congrats, the 233s is a fantastic model. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	123130Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	123131
Tizzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Team

rvholder, those things should've been basic things covered in the PSI.
Seeing that you're in the Sacramento area, I not surprised that the Roo dealer didn't show you.

Having lived in NorCal for many years and shopped for a Roo there, I was so disgusted, I ended up buying from a dealer in Chicago. We still have it after 10 years.

I'm blaming bad dealer PDI for not showing you these things.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #4

I bring the battery in the house and trickle change once a month until I put it back before the first trip the next year............

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
rvholder, those things should've been basic things covered in the PSI.
Seeing that you're in the Sacramento area, I not surprised that the Roo dealer didn't show you.

Having lived in NorCal for many years and shopped for a Roo there, I was so disgusted, I ended up buying from a dealer in Chicago. We still have it after 10 years.

I'm blaming bad dealer PDI for not showing you these things.
Yeah, the tech that walked me through the unit didn't have a good understanding of my unit. Was also surprised that they didn't install the water filter, didn't install the towel rack, etc etc. The dealer in town had no selection so we bought from a large dealer out of town that had fantastic prices but wasn't really into customer service or building a long term relationship.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT233S View Post
I bring the battery in the house and trickle change once a month until I put it back before the first trip the next year............
Yeah, that's a good option but I have two batteries and would prefer to keep it more simple to start. Will see how well the batteries hold up (plan on using trailer every 4-6 weeks). Knowing where the battery kill switch is in general is a good thing.

Would be interested so hear what trickle charge setups work best for two batteries though, as this is probably the healthiest thing to do long term.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Site Team

I have been plugging the shore cord into a house outlet for 10 years, for keeping the batteries charged up.
Never any problems.

Living in Rocklin, you shouldn't need to remove them during the winter.

Let me guess who you bought from,
Best RV!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
I have been plugging the shore cord into a house outlet for 10 years, for keeping the batteries charged up.
Never any problems.

Best RV!
Nailed it LOL. At least I knew what I was getting into when I decided to buy from them. Having owned a variety of RVs over the years, I was prepared for what the level of service I received and considered it fair exchange for the price point.

I don't have room to store on-site so I have to use storage facility. I also plan to camp year round (love leaving in Northern CA) so I think I will keep batteries on board, kill all power when in storage, and then top them off at my house through shore power a day or two prior to my trips.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvholder View Post
so we bought from a large dealer out of town that had fantastic prices but wasn't really into customer service or building a long term relationship.
It's amazing that Best RV was the same 10 years ago and hasn't improved their services or reputation.

After they refused to come within $3000 of Midwest prices(easily covering shipping costs back in 2006) and daring us to go there if we wanted those kind of prices, we did make the drive and still saved over $4000 even after trip costs.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #10

Yeah, they seem to sell so many that they don't care. It's a take it or leave it approach with them. For my model I couldn't get any other dealer in CA close in price (seems to be hard to find) and I wasn't willing to go out of state so they became the obvious choice. My sales guy was great to work with as I did everything via email and text so I just had to come in and sign some papers, no hidden fees or extra markups like I have seen at other dealers. So from that perspective I was satisfied.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Never any problems.

Best RV!
Living in the Sonora area there is no such thing as a "local" RV dealer. Our search started with Best but we were so unimpressed with them we went all the way from Fresno to Sacramento. Having owned two pop-ups in the past we decided early that we didn't want a hybrid. Manteca was good and they really wanted to make a sale. The day we visited RVTravelworld we bought a Flagstaff on the spot. The walkthrough was thorough and it seems they must have done a good job on their inspection. 15 months later there have been no issues with our rig worth trip to the shop. Maybe we're just lucky or blessed but I would recommend them as a dealer and FR as a brand.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

Yeah, we had researched long and hard and knew for a fact that the Roo 233S was our rig. We have owned several popups in the past and loved them so we knew what we were getting into. It became a matter of finding one somewhere within a 3-5 hour drive and that dramatically limited our options.

We looked at the equivalent floor plan with Jayco, and really like that brand. But ultimately they had a few minor things that pushed the Roo into a lock for us.

I did visit RV Travel World when I was evaluating traditional travel trailers and was impressed with the sales staff. They just didn't offer any hybrids.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

I have a 2015 233s. In ours the battery disconnect is below the fridge. It's a peg that you pull out.
As far as the mattresses, I email Forrest river and was told the bars should be tucked in the fold of the mattress. There really isn't anything that holds the mattress in. The front bunk, the slide holds it in. The side bunk is the worse. We just deal with it.

ENJOY. WE LOVE OURS!
Towing with 2007 Ford F150
Camping in Colorado
cropper127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvholder View Post
Howdy,

Just brought home my new Roo 233S Hybrid after months of research and couldn't be more excited to take her out (we named her Kanga).

Two questions though (I am sure there will be more):
1) The 2017 model doesn't appear to have a way to secure the mattresses into the folded bunks. I have been reading that the older units had snaps but I have no snaps. I do have webbing that sits on top of the bunk to hold stuff and know I could unsnap this webbing prior to folding the bunks and use it to hold the mattress in place. Just not sure if this is proper use and if it will lead to other issues. How are the 2017 owners (I assume this applies to other models) securing their mattresses?

2) Is there a battery disconnect somewhere so when I put her into storage I can kill all drain on the batteries? I looked in the fuse box under the fridge and I see the A/C circuit breakers and I see all the fuses, but nothing that would disconnect the house batteries (I have two).

Thanks!
Seth

in our 233S bunks we just took hooked bungie cords and hooked them on to the cables crosswise across the mattresses. Dealer said they are rated to hold so much weight that a bungie cord pulling across won't do any damage.
Shawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #15

Hey Tizzards!!

Was your battery disconnect standard on the camper, or did you have it installed?

I have a 2016 233s also...

Just like the jack knife sofa trick I didn't know about, this is another one

Sheesh..

2015 Chevy Traverse LS w/V92 tow package
67hvymtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #16

Not Tizzards, but do have a 2016 233S sapphire pkg and it came standard on mine. If you didn't know it came with it you would miss it.

Keep asking on here if you have questions. Not all PDIs are equal and if you already have your camper home, it's not as easy to go back and ask the dealer.
taz_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzards View Post
The battery kill switch on my 2016 233s is under the propane tanks in front of the battery.
I find with the bar that hold the canvas open holds in the beds just fine. That is how I was told to put up the beds
Hope this helps and congrats, the 233s is a fantastic model. Attachment 123130Attachment 123131
My wife and I picked up our 2013 233s a couple weeks ago. They said to just put the bunks on the ledge and you might want to get some bungees to hold them in place. Knowing what I saw on YouTube and here about using the cross bar, I figured I'd just do that. Now home in my driveway I have only opened the back bunk (driveway to narrow to do the side bunk). When I was trying to close the bunk it was binding up on me. Can you only do the bar over the mattress on the front and side bunk? I know the mattress on the back can't go any place, but just wanted to see how the bar over the mattress worked.
Chunk6649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk6649 View Post
When I was trying to close the bunk it was binding up on me. Can you only do the bar over the mattress on the front and side bunk? I know the mattress on the back can't go any place, but just wanted to see how the bar over the mattress worked.
I put the both bars (the hoop and the shepard's hook) inside the fold of the mattress, but usually when you get that binding up while closing I find that you need to push the mattress as far forward (toward the outside end of the bunk) as possible. Then it usually closes up properly.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
I put the both bars (the hoop and the shepard's hook) inside the fold of the mattress, but usually when you get that binding up while closing I find that you need to push the mattress as far forward (toward the outside end of the bunk) as possible. Then it usually closes up properly.
Thanks. I had the mattress pulled back toward the bathroom wall. Now this snow just needs to melt so we can do some camping.
Chunk6649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #20

I'd recommend disconnecting the neg wire on the battery when ever storing "long term". Seems like even with the battery disconnect, there are still some parasitic drains on the battery. I disconnect whenever we are not using the camper.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, roo