Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
2019 23IKSS furnace not working

My furnace quit working in the middle of the night. I chalked it up to a empty tank and switched tanks but the furnace never started back working. When i turn it on i can hear a click but that is it. I never here fuel ignition and the fan never comes on. Any suggestions?
__________________

snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,462
Light your stove. You may have some air in the line. If/when the stove lights, you should be good to go.

Also, didn't your rig come with an auto switchover for the tanks? If so, you may actually have 2 empty tanks.
__________________

__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,387
As mentioned, check the operation of other LP appliances. Also make sure the supply line on the tank you believe is full, is threaded on tight. There is a safety feature that requires the coupler to be tight.

Another safety device in the tank valve closes off if it senses a large leak. (such as a cut line) Sometimes the in-rush of gas into an emptied system activates this safety device. Turn off the tank, wait a few minutes, then turn the valve open slowly.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=55
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
I got my empty tank refilled and checked to make sure there was gas in the other tank. I hooked the tanks back up and switched from tank to tank trying to get the furnace to light but it never did. I also tried to light the water heater and it wouldnt light. The stove burner would burn but i feel like the regulator is restricting the flow to the heaters not letting them work. Anyone ever seen this?
Too, both of the hose pigtails off of the regulator want to leak now after screwing them back on the cylinders. The little empty full thingy is working but im thinking the reg below that could be at fault?
I have checked all fuses and breakers and all that checked fine. The switch board says my battery is at full charge.
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 13,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch View Post
I got my empty tank refilled and checked to make sure there was gas in the other tank. I hooked the tanks back up and switched from tank to tank trying to get the furnace to light but it never did. I also tried to light the water heater and it wouldnt light. The stove burner would burn but i feel like the regulator is restricting the flow to the heaters not letting them work. Anyone ever seen this?
Too, both of the hose pigtails off of the regulator want to leak now after screwing them back on the cylinders. The little empty full thingy is working but im thinking the reg below that could be at fault?
I have checked all fuses and breakers and all that checked fine. The switch board says my battery is at full charge.
If you're hooked up to shore power, all of those battery charge indicators will be ON even if the battery is undercharged. You must use a meter to check battery charge level -- or unplug from shore power and check those status lights again.


BTW, the blower has to run to close the Sail Switch or the furnace will not try to ignite.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 39
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Does the blower have to have 12 volts? The blower never comes on in the furnace.
Might i also add, never having any experience with the auto changing regulator, i had the tank that i wasnt using closed. Possible air in the line? Does the igniter on the water heater have to see a certain pressure before trying to light?
I figured i was having a furnace electrical issue until i noticed the water heater not firing that is why i assumed a gas issue.
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,387
Yes, the blower has to run for the furnace to fire.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it? You are going to need to do some basic testing of the 12v system.

The water heater has to have 12v as well. (for LP operation)

The stove does not.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=55
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Yes i have a meter and know enough to get by. However I am not at the camper today but your guys experience is gonna help me get a game plan together for when i get back to it Friday.
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,308
Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch View Post
Yes i have a meter and know enough to get by. However I am not at the camper today but your guys experience is gonna help me get a game plan together for when i get back to it Friday.
The water heater and the furnace work in similar fashion. This may be useful in diagnosis. Here is a combined startup sequence.

Run blower for several seconds to purge gas from a prior try. Test that the blower is actually running. If so, proceed to next step, else stop until powered off and on again. (Only for furnace).
Open gas valve solenoid and start sparking for ~7-10 seconds while checking for ignition. You can hear this sparking, sounds like a loud click, click. Test for ignition. If ignition (gas ignites), all is good. If not, proceed to next step.
Pause several seconds for gas to dissipate. (If furnace, continue to run blower)
Retry ignition as above.
If I remember correctly, both appliances will try three cycles and then give up. You can hear the three sparking cycles. You have to turn each one off and on again, to start the sequence again.

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you never hear the furnace blower. This suggests no power at the furnace. Maybe a blown fuse. If the fuse also covers the water heater, that would explain a lot.

Do you know where the fuses are in your trailer? Not the circuit breaker. These are automotive-style fuses. Most trailer fuse panels have an LED by each fuse which only lights when the fuse is blown and the load is on. That is, watch the fuse panel while you try the furnace or water heater. Any auto parts store or even Walmart will have the fuse you need.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Thanks again for the help members. The fan on the furnace never ran yesterday when i was trying to diagnose it. I did ck all the fuses and they were all good. My original thinking was a gas issue figuring that the furnace and the WH were not even trying to lite. I assumed that they needed a certain psi of gas pressure for the igniter to even attempt to lite. After some of the before mentioned comments i am wondering whether my converter has quit and i have lost 12 volts at my battery.

It will be Friday before i get back to it I imagine.
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
TimVWulp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch View Post
Thanks again for the help members. The fan on the furnace never ran yesterday when i was trying to diagnose it. I did ck all the fuses and they were all good. My original thinking was a gas issue figuring that the furnace and the WH were not even trying to lite. I assumed that they needed a certain psi of gas pressure for the igniter to even attempt to lite. After some of the before mentioned comments i am wondering whether my converter has quit and i have lost 12 volts at my battery.

It will be Friday before i get back to it I imagine.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d8ffca346db21b

I have attached a link from the library at the top of this page. It is a trouble shooting guide for suburban furnaces. Around page 24 is a sequence of operations to help troubleshoot with.

From what you have posted so far if you have turned the thermostat to the off position and back to heat it sounds like the fan sail switch is stuck in the fan on position which will lock out the furnace operation out and not let the fan to start the furnace.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
So I got the CG owner to go by and ck my battery voltage and it had 12.6 volts. So there goes that theory.
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d8ffca346db21b



I have attached a link from the library at the top of this page. It is a trouble shooting guide for suburban furnaces. Around page 24 is a sequence of operations to help troubleshoot with.



From what you have posted so far if you have turned the thermostat to the off position and back to heat it sounds like the fan sail switch is stuck in the fan on position which will lock out the furnace operation out and not let the fan to start the furnace.


I have tried to open that link but it wont let me see it. I will go to the forum and search and see if I can find that thread. I assume the fix for a stuck sail switch is replacement of the switch?
I really wish i was there to mess with it. It is driving me crazy!
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,462
Try this link:

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Furnace - Suburban furnace troubleshooting
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
That one worked and was informative. I figured i would go and hook the tanks back up, bleed the line through the stove and make sure i can get the water heater going to confirm i am getting a sufficient gas pressure to the back of the camper.
I am then gonna bypass the thermostat via the thermostat wires and eliminate the thermostat as the cause.
I am then gonna get down there to the control board and confirm I am getting dc current and 110 from the thermostat to the board/motor?? Might i add there is no easy access to the furnace:/ The best i can tell the board is the only thing between the fan and the thermostat. At this point i am suspecting a thermostat, board,or a motor.
Sound like a good plan of attack?
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Question. So what kind of voltage is coming from the thermostat? Is that DC power also? My book shows it is a DC motor? Is there not any 110 AC at the furnace?
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch View Post
Question. So what kind of voltage is coming from the thermostat? Is that DC power also? My book shows it is a DC motor? Is there not any 110 AC at the furnace?
No 110 AC used in the furnace. Runs completely on 12 VDC. Thermostat should also be 12 VDC.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Ok that makes sense.
snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,308
Themostat wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
No 110 AC used in the furnace. Runs completely on 12 VDC. Thermostat should also be 12 VDC.
For the heating part, there are four wires, +12, Ground, and two to switch it on and off. Just cross the two switch wires.

Furnace access is like this:
  1. Remove the grille in front.
  2. Turn off gas.
  3. Disconnect gas line at flare fitting.
  4. Take off front plenum cover, one or two screws at the top.
  5. Take out anchor screw at the bottom center.
  6. Pull firebox out a little and look at the four wires. Either the will be long enough to pull it all the way out or they unplug.
  7. Pull it all the way out. The fan and board are all the way at the back.
  8. You can run it (without gas) in this state to check the fan and switch.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Oh well i will pull it out if I must. I can hear a click from the furnace when i turn the heat on at the thermostat. I feel pretty sure it is gonna be the motor or the board. I will keep you guys informed.
__________________

snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


×