Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2023, 07:34 PM   #1

2019 newbie questions on Rockwood Roo 21SS

Hello Everyone,

We just purchased 2019 Rockwood Roo 21SS. The owner wasn't so helpful and didn't know much about the trailer.

Please help me to answer these questions:

1. The battery on the trailer, they supposed to charge when driving? Both batteries are drained after 2-hour driving.

2. Is there website where I can order replacements parts? missing speaker cover outside, Handle outside.

3. is there visual diagram that shows what hose goes where? there like 4 water lines and I don't know what goes where.

4. Is there instruction online for panel, how to check for water level? how full is the tank?

5. Does trailer have brakes? Do i need brake control on truck?

maybe someone can point me to some videos or help manual I can read online

Thank you!
dzotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:56 PM   #2

A few answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzotik View Post
Hello Everyone,
1. The battery on the trailer, they supposed to charge when driving? Both batteries are drained after 2-hour driving.
They will usually get a limited amount of charge. If you had a bunch of appliances on, they might draw more current than the tow vehicle applies.

It is possible that the tow vehicle is not applying a charge. You could check the fuse that applies the charge in the tow vehicle. Measure the tow vehicle connector, from the 2 o'clock contact (+Auxiliary) to the 7 o'clock contact (Ground) (assuming the rib is at 12 o'clock), with the engine running. You should see 12-14 volts DC. If you don't know how to do this, get one of these or equivalent.

If I recall correctly, some Ford pickups come with a relay in the glove compartment that has to be installed for the charge to take place.

It is also possible that in your test the breakaway switch for the brakes was activated. The brakes take a lot of current and could drain the battery pretty quickly.
Quote:
2. Is there website where I can order replacements parts? missing speaker cover outside, Handle outside.
Forest River itself wants you to order from their dealers. But they are really assemblers. The parts come from third party suppliers. An easy way to get common parts is to:
Enter a description of the part in Google, prefixed with "RV." For example,
RV speaker cover outside
Then click "Images" at the top of the screen
When you find one that looks right, get the manufacturer's name and part number
Put that information back into Google to find a source with reasonable price and shipping (or free shipping). Not uncommon to find these things on eBay or Amazon.
Quote:
3. is there visual diagram that shows what hose goes where? there like 4 water lines and I don't know what goes where.
Not usually. A few of the Forest River divisions can provide this information, but most can't/don't. Are you talking about plumbing inside the trailer? Where does it go? There should be exactly one line that's not connected at both ends. It is a piece of clear tubing going into a valve with two other connections, used only for winterization.

Why don't you post a couple of pictures so we can see what you are looking at. Take the pictures with the "shutter button" on the right. Put them on your computer. In the editor you use to respond to this note, click the paper clip icon at the top and use the popup to identify the pictures and upload them.
Quote:
4. Is there instruction online for panel, how to check for water level? how full is the tank?
Do you have the panel that has four LEDs at the left and four buttons (Gray/Black/Fresh/Battery) at the right?
Your RV has three water tanks. One for fresh water if you are camping where there is no water hookup. Another for "gray" water, water from the sinks and shower, and a third for "black water" from the toilet. You will press and hold one button at a time. When you hold the respective water button,
  • The bottom LED always comes on
  • If the tank is more than 1/3 full, the bottom and second LEDs come on
  • If the tank is more than 2/3 full, the bottom, second, and third LEDs come on
  • If the tank is nearly full, all four LEDs come on and you empty RIGHT NOW.
Note that this is very sensitive to the trailer's leveling. If it is a little off level, you can get misleading results. Also, the sensors in the black tank can get gunk on them and one or more LEDs will always come on. Cleaning with a hose and wand doesn't always work. You may resort to just stepping on the toilet pedal and looking down at the tank water level instead.

The bottom button is for the battery state-of-charge. A full charge of the battery is around 12.6 volts. The "converter" (battery charger in the trailer) applies 13-14 volts to the battery.
When the trailer is plugged in, all four LEDs will be lit.
If the trailer is unplugged and the battery is fully charged, the bottom 3 LEDs will be lit.
If the charge is down to, say, 75% (about 12.3 volts), the bottom 2 LEDs will be lit.
If the charge is down to 50% (as low as you should ever let it go, to avoid battery damage), the bottom LED will be lit.
Quote:
5. Does trailer have brakes? Do i need brake control on truck?
Yes. Unless your truck came with a factory brake controller, you must install one--state regulation in most/all states. And you will need it. Otherwise you can be subject to dangerous situations. Think about coming down a steep hill/mountain, gaining speed, and needing to slow down. If you step on the truck brakes and the trailer doesn't brake, it could try to switch ends. (Don't ask me about this.)
If you are a guy who does some home auto repair, you could handle this install. The controllers come with a harness that plugs right into your car. One popular brand is Tekonsha P3, but you should do your own research.

Quote:
maybe someone can point me to some videos or help manual I can read online

Thank you!
Look in the Library on this site. (click Library on the green bar above). If you did not get a collection of manuals for every appliance (range/audio/tv/fans/furnace/water heater, etc.), walk around and get the make and model of every one. Then get the manuals, either by internet search or from the Library.

Search this site to learn about sway (some great YouTube videos), about tires, and about Weight Distribution Hitches (WDH). These are things you need to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin-trailer-connector-wiring-diagrams-way-diagram-plug-download-today.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	283639  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Electrical and plumbing diagrams for the Roo/Shamrock hybrids, don't exist.
If you pulled the trailer without a brake controller, you were violating traffic laws because the trailer has electric brakes which require a brake controller to operate.
Your tow vehicle may not be providing a charge while driving or the 7-pin connector was malfunctioning.
You need to provide more information on your tow vehicle and put that information in your profile or signature.
There is no such thing as a model-specific owners manual. Just a generic owners manual with no model-specific nor brand-specific information. Just basic RV systems information.
Post a pic of the panel you're asking about.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:53 PM   #4

In addition to the above advice.... is this your trailer?

The video explains the features of the rig.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
In addition to the above advice.... is this your trailer?

The video explains the features of the rig.
It's the same trailer except for the Toyhauler deck in front. And of course, tha length is much longer because of the deck.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:15 AM   #6

Did you tow it home with a pickup truck made in the last 12 years? And it had a 7 pin plug? You probably already have a brake controller installed.

You can learn much information from youtube if you search there about most of the issues you ask about.

Probably will not get much charge from your tow vehicle even if setup correctly, so don't count on it to recharge your batteries.

You must plugin to shore power to get charged up even if not using the trailer as parasitic currents will discharge the batteries even if just sitting.

Have your current batteries load tested at auto parts store... they are probably bad.

WHAT IS YOUR TOW VEHICLE?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #7

also, make sure the battery disconnect switch is turned off when towing to charge battery.
jimbo1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:36 PM   #8

Ambiguous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1710 View Post
also, make sure the battery disconnect switch is turned off when towing to charge battery.
That's kind of ambiguous. Let me rephrase it.

make sure the battery disconnect switch is set to conduct electricity when towing to charge battery.

Note that the switch should ALWAYS be set to conduct so the brakes work if the trailer breaks away from the tow vehicle.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Electrical and plumbing diagrams for the Roo/Shamrock hybrids, don't exist.
I disagree. It is rather foolish to believe that a major manufacturer mass producing thousands of trailers of the same model series did not have engineers make electrical and plumbing diagrams during the design stages as well as providing production drawings to establish materials costs as well as guide the builders in the building process. Can you imagine being the new guy on the assembly line: "Okay, Bill, here's a picture of the way the trailer is supposed to look. Your job is to make sure all the plumbing and wires are there to make everything work. No, we don't have any drawings, we just trust that you, as a recent high school graduate with a staple gun and a power screwdriver can make it work. Good luck!"

Forest River may not be willing to share drawings with customers. But I guarantee the drawings exist.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
That's kind of ambiguous. Let me rephrase it.

make sure the battery disconnect switch is set to conduct electricity when towing to charge battery.

Note that the switch should ALWAYS be set to conduct so the brakes work if the trailer breaks away from the tow vehicle.
The battery disconnect switch should never be in the breakaway brake circuit. If it is, instead of ensuring that the battery disconnect switch is closed, the trailer's wiring needs to be fixed to remove the battery disconnect switch from the breakaway brake circuit. There should not even be a fuse in that circuit. This is a properly wired breakaway switch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture3b.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	283673

However, if there are no electrical drawings for the trailer, as some members here claim, then it would be entirely likely that the person building the trailer would route the breakaway switch power source incorrectly because they would have no drawing to follow.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, question, questions, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo