Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #1

2020 Roo Front Bunk

The front bed in our Roo does not allow the mattress to lay flat.. When the bunk is laid out, there is a little padded seat or ledge right in front that is a different height than the rest of the bed. No matter how you lay the mattress you can't get it flat and is the most uncomfortable bed for 2 people. That's where my wife and I sleep. Am I doing something wrong? Seems to be the dumbest design they would make it different heights..
LucasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #2

I have seen this comment made from others. It appears that the difference in height is from a small difference at least in mine, to a lot of difference in yours and others.

I assume that the ledge is higher and the bunk is lower?

I have heard others say they have bought an 8 foot piece of 1/2 or 1 inch thick rigid pink wall foam from Lowes or HDepot and placed it in the bunk area to even it out a bit. The foam is very light weight and if attached with maybe some velcro to the bunk end door should still allow you to fold up the bunk with the mattress folded as designed.

I hope this works for you.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Site Team

I seem to remember that some mattresses had different thicknesses on each side, to compensate for the ledge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #4

my mattress folds like at the 60/40 mark... the ledge is maybe the last 2-3 inches of the inside edge if the mattress is against the outside bunk edge... I never thought about laying partially on the ledge... now I do not like laying on the mattress fold, which is why I use a 2 inch foam topper on top of the mattress.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #5

In our old ROO i did EXACTLY what rsdata shared... foam panels from the home depot/lowes between mattress and door and POOF problem solved!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #6

We bought a 1.5 inch topper off amazon for our 2019 21SS. Now i can barely feel the difference. It is very comfortable for the wife and I now.
jimbo1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:59 AM   #7

I have the same problem, but haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Is there a reason why we shouldn't replace the existing pad on the ledge with something thinner rather than make the height of the mattress on the door higher?
Pad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #8

Lightbulb Fixed it!

So, we purchased some of those interlocking foam floor mats from Walmart (for workout rooms and kids rooms) and ended up cutting them in half. 3 stacks of 4 to replace the existing long pad that came with the trailer and the bed is flat. It no longer feels like you are holding on from rolling downhill when you sleep.
Pad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #9

For us, the issue isn’t differential between mattress thickness of ledge vs tent surface, its that the tent floor surface is no longer level. Apparently the cable stretched enough to create an angle that makes the sleeping surface not able to be level without changing jack positions. One has to be wary of changing jack positions since it makes the fridge less efficient if the main body of the Roo isn’t level. Propane doesn’t flow as easily & water pump is less efficient. It is the weak link in Roo design, other than that we like the Roo, having owned it for 4 years.
A foam pad helps mitigate the diff between the angle of ledge vs tent sleeping area, as well as difference between the 2-part mattress - it is a good 1-1.5” thicker on the large side of the mattress vs the thinner part that rests on the ledge.
Lastly, the mattress is not as large as the sleeping surface. I realize that is to help with moisture on the tent material creating condensation, but it creates too big a space for the person sleeping on that side of the tent. We roll up a blanket & stuff it in that space, cover the entire mattress with 1-1/2” piece of poly foam & then put a king mattress pad over the whole enchilada. Takes 3 minutes longer to make the bed & more to store when breaking camp but it all stores in the mattress space & makes for a much better night’s sleep.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Apparently the cable stretched enough to create an angle that makes the sleeping surface not able to be level without changing jack positions. One has to be wary of changing jack positions
I cannot imagine a steel cable like I have in my 2014 Shamrock stretching, but who knows these days with quality of stuff getting so bad. YES adjusting the jack to level the bunk is NOT the right answer for your other appliances.

If you cannot take up some slack in YOUR cable it certainly would be easy enough to make up another cable of the right length using homedepot aircraft cable that you buy by the foot. You can get it covered in plastic too I know if you buy pre-cut lengths. Maybe even tie a knot in your existing cable to take up slack?

Don't know how much you need so hard to tell from my point... just throwing out ideas.

In my 3 bunk Shamrock, nobody sleeps on the ledge of the bunk. We push the mattress all the way into the bunk and the mattress comes up to the edge of the ledge. I never saw the ledge as a sleeping surface. I see that you have then extended the width of the bunk to give you a larger surface, but the mattress as you say does not fit that entire width.

There ia a raw foam industrial place in Cincnnati that sells foam by the foot... all kinds of foam. Sunshine Foam - Home

perhaps you can order a piece of the correct thickness to put into that dead space...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #11

I agree about cables stretching, could be it was that way when I bought it new. It wasn’t an issue before & is now; I’m grasping at any idea that pops up. Real solution is for the heavier person to sleep on the inside of the tent compartment where the mattress is thickest. Thanks for your thoughts & references.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #12

Maybe with some measurements you could order a piece of foam that is cut wedge shaped with the thick part on the outside edge. I know once about 10 years ago I visited the foam factory and they were very helpful cutting me a custom piece of foam. It's their business to do that sort of thing.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
For us, the issue isn’t differential between mattress thickness of ledge vs tent surface, its that the tent floor surface is no longer level. Apparently the cable stretched enough to create an angle that makes the sleeping surface not able to be level without changing jack positions. One has to be wary of changing jack positions since it makes the fridge less efficient if the main body of the Roo isn’t level. Propane doesn’t flow as easily & water pump is less efficient. It is the weak link in Roo design, other than that we like the Roo, having owned it for 4 years.
I don't understand this statement since all brands of hybrids have had the same cable design since at least 2005.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #14

What about ordering new cables from the manufacturer? I have ordered some things from them before.
acamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, roo