Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
Clearly, I did something wrong. Oddly, I can see the links when I go into edit mode but they disappear when I click 'save.' I'll keep working on this. Sorry!

Maybe this doesn't work with Dropbox?

Yeah, I can view the images if I right-click the broken pic icon and click "view image" as that takes me to the Dropbox image viewer to show the image, it's not a link to just the image itself which is why it's not displaying when you post the link as an image. But yeah, your pics show pretty much the same issue we're having. I haven't measured the drop yet, but it's probably around the same as in your pics.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #22

So, I fixed our bed today. I would've taken pics but thunderstorms were coming and it was absolutely gross humid and I wanted to be done.

So, long story short, I measured the gap as being between 1" and 1.5" so I went to Home Depot and had them custom cut a piece of this to 3'6"x6'6".

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...88WD/202085958

Then I made notches for the bow hinges and support wires so that it would fit over basically the entire inside surface of the door and attached it with this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...NGDC/205507375

Then we put the mattress back on and it's perfectly level all the way across the mattress now. Woohoo!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Then we put the mattress back on and it's perfectly level all the way across the mattress now. Woohoo!
Good solution, light in weight yet works to even things out...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
So, I fixed our bed today. I would've taken pics but thunderstorms were coming and it was absolutely gross humid and I wanted to be done.

So, long story short, I measured the gap as being between 1" and 1.5" so I went to Home Depot and had them custom cut a piece of this to 3'6"x6'6".

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...88WD/202085958

Then I made notches for the bow hinges and support wires so that it would fit over basically the entire inside surface of the door and attached it with this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...NGDC/205507375

Looks like a great solution. Thanks for sharing!

It does raise a question, though.
As I have looked closer at the situation, I noticed something I hadn't realized before... the mattress, being divided where it folds, is actually thinner on the side of the fold where it rests on the "shelf" (towards the living area of the camper).
Presumably, the factory designed things to be this way. It just doesn't quite work as you can absolutely feel the ridge between the bed floor and the shelf, and you can definitely feel a difference in height despite them trying to compensate with different thicknesses in the mattress.

So, my question is;
Since you leveled yours with the insulating foam, can you tell a height difference because of the difference in mattress thickness on either side of where it folds?
Old 09-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Since you leveled yours with the insulating foam, can you tell a height difference because of the difference in mattress thickness on either side of where it folds?
If you are NOT using a foam topper or like others (me) just 2 inches of regular foam on top of the mattress, then I believe you are in the minority. I do have to roll up the foam and store separately because the front bunk will not fold up with it on the mattress, although the rear and side bunks will. I can feel the slight ridge when laying on it, but it is not that bad. My bed is level without any adjustments.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Looks like a great solution. Thanks for sharing!

It does raise a question, though.
As I have looked closer at the situation, I noticed something I hadn't realized before... the mattress, being divided where it folds, is actually thinner on the side of the fold where it rests on the "shelf" (towards the living area of the camper).
Presumably, the factory designed things to be this way. It just doesn't quite work as you can absolutely feel the ridge between the bed floor and the shelf, and you can definitely feel a difference in height despite them trying to compensate with different thicknesses in the mattress.

So, my question is;

We put the mattress back on and I had my wife lay on it to see if she could feel any more incline or the mattress not being flat/level and she said it was perfect, couldn't feel anything. This was just the mattress without the foam topper we have, not having it on makes it easy to feel issues because it's pretty thin and uncomfortable by itself.

We have this topper and it's amazing, feels just like our bed at home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEF3MOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If you are NOT using a foam topper or like others (me) just 2 inches of regular foam on top of the mattress, then I believe you are in the minority. I do have to roll up the foam and store separately because the front bunk will not fold up with it on the mattress, although the rear and side bunks will. I can feel the slight ridge when laying on it, but it is not that bad. My bed is level without any adjustments.

Same regarding the foam topper only we have a 4" one that gets stored on the couch or dinette when closed up. Makes all the difference in the world, but it couldn't overcome the height difference between the bunk door and the shelf.

I'm now looking forward to camping again.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Clearly, I did something wrong. Oddly, I can see the links when I go into edit mode but they disappear when I click 'save.' I'll keep working on this. Sorry!

Maybe this doesn't work with Dropbox?
I fixed them for you.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds