Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

30 Amp Inline Surge Protector

Anyone install one of these into a Roo 23IKSS? We are hoping to get ours in 10 days, but when I get it home I would like to install one of these before the summer, we had some issues last year with power at campgrounds flipping the breaker in the middle of the night cutting off our 30 AMP in our Shasta, so want to Protect the new investment.

Also any suggested things we should do with our new 2015, we have the Slide Topper, was already installed by the dealer, I am installing my Husky 4500# Jack, a bit overkill but it was a Birthday Present front he GF last year, so I like it a lot, also switching to 30lb propane tanks and a black cover

We got the new Saphire Color with the bonded windows. Also how are the stock tires and rims, will be doing some long trips
Old 04-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #2

The 30 lb tanks may be too tall. The front bunk lowers down over the jack and tanks. You might check the jack height as well before installation.

The Surge Protector is easiest to install under the bath sink but I didn't like the idea of putting the remote display in the bathroom where you can't see it.

I put mine in the space under the rear bunk where the heater is and put the display right in the front by the access door, That way you can see it from any where in the camper. It is invaluable in managing your power load.

The tires are called "China Bombs" because they tend to have massive blowouts causing damage to your camper. I think everyone will agree if you are going to take long trips, keep your speed down, inflate to max psi and replace them with top quality ties as soon as your are able.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

Put my surge protector under the sink. Only problem is that it is a bit tight to work down there. I put Romex wire and 30 amp plugs on each end of the protector at home thinking it would be easier to cut the wire and install plugs than wiring to the protector. Not sure this is true. If you use plugs, you need a female on the lead coming in so there is never a chance of live power on the prongs of an exposed male plug. Make sure you get the model with the remote display since unit will be below the sink and behind the thin plywood partition. Took me about 45 min to install but I'm old. Pick a day when you don't need the a/c. I did mine in summer TX heat which is one reason it took that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Site Team

yep, 30lb. tanks will be too tall, to open the bunk doors.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #5

Here's where I installed mine. Surge in the bathroom cabinet, and the display on the front of the cabinet. I recommend using plugs on the surge so you can bypass it should it ever fail.

23IKSS Mods

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=66577

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #6

I install mine behind the power center. It was tight, but I didn't like the idea of having it under the sink in the event of a water leak. I also installed plugs on mine. Just make sure you do it correctly so that the live power has a female plug end, not a male.
Pulling with 2011 Silverado 1500
Equilizer Hitch
liquidicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

As far as tires, it seems from reading many posts that most if not all trailer tires are now made in China, so IMHO calling them China bombs puts all TT tires at risk. I think you have to look at the tire specs of YOUR tires and figure out if your loading habits in your TT on YOUR tires leave a margin of safety. Every manufacturer wants to do the least expensive thing when building, therefore they use the least amount of tire they can get by on.

I have about 5,000 miles and 18 months since my TT build date on my SHamrock 183 tires. I feel good when traveling on them so far. I invested a small amount on a hand-held laser guided temperature gauge. After every stop, every few hours or so, I always take a reading of tire temp, brake drum temp and feel the hubs for high temps. I will certainly replace my tires by the end of the third summer of use and will look at going up one load range for some added security.

We don't use much propane in the trailer. Most of our cooking is done outside. For this reason I also bring along another 20# cylinder to power our grill and propane fired campfire ring. I use the two propane cylinders on-board the Shamrock for cooking only and as a backup if necessary... we use a small electric heater when it gets cool at night if necessary... although we found out that the electrically heated mattresses almost made that unnecessary. We don't do any boon-docking. If I did I would bring along a genny to use along with my larger group 27 battery that I installed.
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

EMS install 23IKSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Anyone install one of these into a Roo 23IKSS? We are hoping to get ours in 10 days, but when I get it home I would like to install one of these before the summer, we had some issues last year with power at campgrounds flipping the breaker in the middle of the night cutting off our 30 AMP in our Shasta, so want to Protect the new investment.

Also any suggested things we should do with our new 2015, we have the Slide Topper, was already installed by the dealer, I am installing my Husky 4500# Jack, a bit overkill but it was a Birthday Present front he GF last year, so I like it a lot, also switching to 30lb propane tanks and a black cover

We got the new Saphire Color with the bonded windows. Also how are the stock tires and rims, will be doing some long trips
Got our new Roo a couple weeks ago. Saphire package as well. Nice looking unit.

I just installed our EMS this weekend. Installed it under the bathroom sink. I added a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood to the inside of the vanity wall on the shower side. I screwed it to the 1x2 support that was in the middle of the wall (this 1x2 is used to screw into the shower base) and also to the 1x1 that holds the vanity wall to the floor. This gave added strength and also thickness so I did not screw through the flimsy wall.

I mounted the EMS about a foot off the floor and under it mounted a 2x4 handy box where I tied in a jumper wire since there was not enough slack in the original romex to reach both ends of the EMS. I have temporarily run the display just inside the door (so yes, I need to open the vanity door to see it). I will install the display in a permanent location when I decide where I want it. If I can fish the data cable back to the rear compartment I may mount it on the grill below the back bunk. On the front of the vanity would work too and there is already a duplex outlet there.

I too was concerned about sharing the space with water pipes so I stapled a rubber membrane (tool box liner) over the EMS and electrical box and draped it down all the way to the floor. I feel this offers enough protection from any kind of leak in the water pipe even if it sprays around in there. By the way, where the shore power socket comes in through the wall and the romex is connected is not protected from water spray either. I may get in there with some caulk or foam.

I did not see any other place to put the EMS in the 23IKSS. The incoming romex disappears to the rear from under the vanity into who knows where. Plus it gave me a change to practice my contortion moves. Kind of tight in there.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #9

I installed our EMS under the refrigerator, behind the power center. Plenty of room.

I bought 2' of 10/2, detached the incoming line from the power panel, attached that as line into the EMS, then used the 10/2 to go from load on the EMS to line on the power center. I had plenty of slack to work with on both sides.

The remote display wire is fed through a small hole in the power center grill. I have to get on my knees to read it. I plan to move it next to the thermostat in my 21DK but that involves fishing it around the refrigerator. That's a different project.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote