Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

A little off topic

Ok I've decided to trade out trailblazer in for a new silverado ext, my question is is it allowed or save for dogs to ride in the back of the bed in a cage or is it legal to place them in a cage in the camper with the vents open, thinking it may be a little too hot for them in the camper, I was going to buy a cap for the truck but I'm leasing it and there changing the body style in fall so I'm kinda limited or I'm gonna lose about 1200 for the cap, any input would be appreciated
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #2

I flip my back seats up in my silverado and I have 2 packing blankets the the dw sowed straps on that go over the headrests on both seats and the blankets overlap on the floor, my chocolate lab has thousands of miles on him back there, he loves it, about every 2 hours he sticks his head up for a pat and about every 4 we all need a break.

I would not do it any other way honestly, they deserve and need the same comfort that we have, be it heat or air. I always put myself in the situation that I would put him in, and I am not riding in the trailer or the back of the truck !!
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Ok I understand the whole thing with they deserve what we deserve , I have two boys too so it will be tight just looking for options thanks for the reply
Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Site Team

why don't you ride in the trailer while someone else drives and see if you'd want to ride back there?
my wife wanted to get something while i move the trailer about a quarter mile and she came out cussing me. and that was driving 35 mph.
remember, trailers don't have shocks so it's pretty shaky in there.
if i were you, i'd choose a crewcab over an ext. cab.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderalley3 View Post
I flip my back seats up in my silverado and I have 2 packing blankets the the dw sowed straps on that go over the headrests on both seats and the blankets overlap on the floor, my chocolate lab has thousands of miles on him back there, he loves it, about every 2 hours he sticks his head up for a pat and about every 4 we all need a break.

I would not do it any other way honestly, they deserve and need the same comfort that we have, be it heat or air. I always put myself in the situation that I would put him in, and I am not riding in the trailer or the back of the truck !!
X2 - I don't know if it is legal or not, but we never put our two stit ztus (sp) in the bed of our pick up. Fortunately we have a crew cab TV that allows us to place their two pet taxis on the rear seat and secure them with seat belts.

I certainly agree with Thunderalleys position of putting himself in the dogs position and not liking riding in the rear of the pick up.

You will see some dogs in the bed of some pick ups here in Texas, but not many.

Our dogs are our family and we treat them as such.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #6

Ok I understand thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
why don't you ride in the trailer while someone else drives and see if you'd want to ride back there?
my wife wanted to get something while i move the trailer about a quarter mile and she came out cussing me. and that was driving 35 mph.
remember, trailers don't have shocks so it's pretty shaky in there.
if i were you, i'd choose a crewcab over an ext. cab.
+1 for a crew cab. I traded my ext cab for a crew and let me tell ya, 100% better for both passengers and the K9 kids. I have a German short haired pointer that is my Bird Dog (ie: screen name Very rarely does he ride in the bed in a travel kennel strapped down but when theres room hes up front!
I would not put my dogs in the trailer. chances are they would be ok, just not for me, personally. good luck
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
Ok I understand thanks
No problem and I don't think anyone who replied (including myself) was ragging you about bringing the question up here - that is what this forum is for and about.

I am an old Rochester guy myself - how are things in Syracuse? I understand Good Sams is holding a rally there at the state fairgrounds in June.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

I haven't heard anything about good Sam thing at the fair, I can look into it, Syracuse is Syracuse, always better to go out camping
Old 05-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
I haven't heard anything about good Sam thing at the fair, I can look into it, Syracuse is Syracuse, always better to go out camping
According to the May-July issue of the Good SAMs Highway magazine, there will be a GS rally at the Empire Expo Center June 13-16. Reba and Wayne Newton are among the celebrities who will be there.

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock