Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #21

Red stick and Force what would say your TT weights in at when you head out for a short trip? We will primarily start with weekend trips to campgrounds providing power and water.
Cruze108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
Resident Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze108 View Post
Red stick and Force what would say your TT weights in at when you head out for a short trip? We will primarily start with weekend trips to campgrounds providing power and water.
Will try and get weighed next weekend, will let you know.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #23

I weighed it only one time and didn't get the 3 weights described to get an accurate reading. That said I probably packed an additional 1000 pounds both in the bed of the truck and the trailer. There is only three of us in my family - me, my wife and our son who is 8. We do bring our dog with us - he's about 40 lbs.

I plan to hit the scales again at some point just so I know.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
Site Team

as i said before, with my Avy's 7200lbs. capacity, i feel very comfortable pulling my 5000lbs.+ 23SS. but i have to tow over lots of mountain ranges out here in the West. so, i feel my combo is perfect.

don't know where you live or plan to tow, but you probably will be fine on flat land but you may not be happy in the mountains.

this was a big reason we chose the trailer we wanted before we bought a tow vehicle. one of the recommendations from the many RV forums we did research on. this is just advice for others looking to buy a trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #25

Here are my numbers:

My 2009 GMC 1/2 with a 5.3 V8, and all factory towing HD cooling options available is 7,000 lbs. GVWR, having a GCVWR of 15,000 lbs, and trailer capacity of 9,500 lbs. the factory weight is 4,598 lbs.

By the time I add 4 passenger, 24 gallons of fuel, propane, water (I carry 36 gallons) battery, WDH, contents of trailer, I'm at 83% (5,136 lbs.) of the trailer GVWR and 86% (6,032 lbs.) of the truck's GVWR.

At the end of the day I have less than 500 lbs. before I reach the GVWR of the truck and am about 75% of my GCVWR.

The truck tows the trialer fine, but, as Dan said I wouldn't want much behind me.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #26

Sorry- I should say the factory weight "of the trailer" is 4,598 lbs.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #27

Again thank you everyone!!!

We are calling the dealer to cancel the 25RS as it wouldn't be safe with the GC. We would rather have that trailer but I don't plan on trading in my VW for a truck for at least 2 more years. The 23SS is what my loved the most so we are going to flip.

Side note: we live in southeast MI and will do the majority of our traveling to Copper Harbor MI and in between. We would like to do a trip out west but might work on borrowing a buddies Ram for that trip or maybe by then trading my car in.

So on to the next project: PDI list and "must have for camping" list. Any recommendations for the latter list? Most of our camping gear is old or on loan to a brother up north (don't plan on getting it back situation) oh well.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

So on to the next project: PDI list and "must have for camping" list. Any recommendations for the latter list? Most of our camping gear is old or on loan to a brother up north (don't plan on getting it back situation) oh well.
"Must haves" are fun lists to make. Everyone's is different so I'll just throw out a few ideas and the reasons I use them.

Two things will help you most of all, though.

FIRST: Driveway camping or camping really close to home so you can see for yourself what you need. Bring pen and paper.

SECOND: Knowledge is power and most new RVers would do well to prepare a little beforehand. Explore our library and our Tips & Tricks areas. There is a lot of knowledge there. Not as fun as buying stuff, but probably more useful.

Now onto the stuff to buy (I assume you will have basics covered like TP, utensils, etc)

• A good RV Awning mat. You want one that is easy to clean, allows water to flow through and will not soak up the water.
  • PopupGizmos To keep your tent ends warmer in cool weather, cooler in warm weather and cleaner overall.
  • First Aid kit - Stuff happens and best to be prepared.
  • Multimeter and the book Managing 12 Volts You will need to repair electrical sooner or later.
  • A collapsible saw.
  • A decent sewer hose (aka Stinky Slinky) The one your dealer gives you for "free" can be thrown away or kept for emergencies.
  • Portable drill and an adapter for your stabilizers. Save your back!
  • Levels for your trailer. Attach these to the passenger-side front of the trailer to balance side-by-side and back-to-front.
  • Leveling blocks and chocks. You can make your own or use Lynx Levelers. Self-explanatory.
  • X-Chocks to help control trailer motion. Not really necessary but nice to have.
  • RV outside water filter This depends on how good your water sources are.
  • A GOOD surge protector. I use a progressive. Shop around for the best price but don't cheap out.
  • Calgon water softener. Read about the Geo Method.
  • Tool kit
That's all I can think of right now.

shopping

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #29

Thank you again to everyone.

We have the P/A on the 23SS. We are going to utilize the Jeep for a bit until I switch out my car for a Ram or Ecoboost F-150.

What's your opinion on this package:

2013 23SS with:

* GAS OVEN
* RAISED REFER PANEL FRONTS
* CONVENIENCE PACKAGE C
* TINTED SAFETY GLASS WINDOWS
* MICROWAVE OVEN
* TV ANTENNA W/CABLE HOOK UP
* AWNING
* LCD TV
* GAS/ELECTRIC HOT WATER HEATER
* OUTSIDE SPEAKERS
* ROOF A/C
* POWER AWNING W/PKG
* SPARE TIRE CARRIER & COVER
* ALUMINUM WHEELS
* OUTSIDE GRILL
* HEATED MATTRESS
* CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR
* WATER PURIFIER
* CREATE-A-BREEZE BATH ROOF VENT
* CHERRY WOOD
* 4482LBS

Slide cover
Equilzer 4 way 1,000/10,000 lbs WDH
Energizer 3 BC

All out the door for $21K?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #30

How about this surge protector?

Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 04-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #31

Quote:
That's a 50amp, the Roo only has 30amp service. That price looks pretty good if it's truly out-the-door. Good luck.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #32

Gas

The new Fords with the V6 Econo Boost (turbo) engine or getting some pretty good gas mileage and the new 1500 V8 Chevy is better than the Fords..And without the trailer attached, probably close what you have right now...I would stop by your local truck dealer and get the specs on these vehicles..We tow a Crusader 270RET with our 2500HD 6.0 Gas Ext. Cab...13 mpg is our best to date...the truck has a 10,550 load we carry 7940, plus 1000 of junk stuff...the usual..

Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback. My wife and I need to rethink our decision. We only put a deposit on the 25RS as it is brand new and won't be here for another 2 weeks.

We looked at the 23SS and the 233S. We are concerned with tent bunks but see the advantage on weight.

I wish I could solve this problem with trading my car in and getting a 1/2 ton but I drive 35 miles to Detroit everyday for work and with our old Yukon XL I was averaging 14 - 15 on light traffic days.

Are there any vehicles recommended that could handle the 25RS that are not a 1/2 ton or larger?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truckandcamper.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	28454  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote