Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Newb

Another question - is there a trick

to getting the the glass thingy off that holds the water filter?

My DH was using the tool but it would not twist off. He was bending the metal that it was attached to, but it wouldn't budge. He had it off the other day when we were flushing the lines, but he put it back on w/o the filter. So today he went to do that and he couldn't get it off. It's filled with water and i suggested draining it, but he said that wouldn't make any difference.

Can anyone help?
F-350 (V-10) to tow
2010 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8317RKSS
PattiPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #2

i bet he didnt get the o-ring back in and over tightened it . i did that and had to remove it from the camper and use the spanner wrench thingy and a pair of channel lock to remove the canister.I wasnt easy either
Old 07-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #3

Where is the filter housing? I bought my 23ss this Spring and have a filter but can't find where it goes. Typical beginner question.
Billyclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #4

Mine wouldn't come off and I soon figured out to open a faucet with no water connected. When all faucets are closed it creates a vacumm, open one up and let all the water drain out and it should come right off, at least it did in my case.
Jujububbajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyclub View Post
Where is the filter housing? I bought my 23ss this Spring and have a filter but can't find where it goes. Typical beginner question.
it should be in the cabinet between the sofa and the front bunk. that's where the water pump is.
of course, i have a 2007 23SS.
not sure if that's where yours is. there have been some changes since i bought mine.
the newer ones have the water tank underneath, whereas mine is in the cabinet by the door.

but i think the water pump is still in the same place.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiPatti View Post
to getting the the glass thingy off that holds the water filter?

My DH was using the tool but it would not twist off. He was bending the metal that it was attached to, but it wouldn't budge. He had it off the other day when we were flushing the lines, but he put it back on w/o the filter. So today he went to do that and he couldn't get it off. It's filled with water and i suggested draining it, but he said that wouldn't make any difference.

Can anyone help?
I use a oil filter wrench to unscrew glass housing that holds the filter... Filter wrench is the "strap" kind that needs a ratchet to tighten/turn the filter... good luck,, Greg
GregBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #7

Yep, you should release the pressure. I had the same problem on the one in my trailer and the one in my house. Once the pressure was relieved, they came right off.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #8

I have determined that the canister filter is a PITA. I put no filter in there an use an in line filter on the outside. So much easier
southpaw821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw821 View Post
I have determined that the canister filter is a PITA. I put no filter in there an use an in line filter on the outside. So much easier

My long term plan is remove the filter housing completely that is inside the trailer. It is in a ridiculously inconvenient location! I have to lie down and wedge myself between the toilet and vanity and reach deep into a cabinet. Whoever designed it this way sure didn't have the consumer in mind. It's almost impossible to avoid spilling when changing and makes winterizing just that much more difficult.

I just added my own filter to the outside. The whole thing including the bracket is easily removable for traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0354.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	4559  

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Just out of curiosty Willis, where did you get that filter and how did you get up enough never to screw something into the outside of the trailer skin. Is it located in any special place or just screwed to the body where convient? I was wondering what is there for the screws to catch beside the skin?
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #11

Sasks,
Filters like these can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes and most any hardware store. I suspect Willis had to find a stud because if that bugger gets stuck, it takes alot of torque to undue.

I can see if you are able to travel with the trailer for 6 months or more a year that the issue of changing the filter would be a PITA. However, I have these sediment filters on most of my vacation rentals and those things only need to be changed every couple of months in the high occupancy periods and this for an entire house.

I will be lucky to actually use our Roo 30 days a year, so for me I will change the filter when we winterize it. I suspect FR does not anticipate the need to change the darn thing but once year at most, so they stick it out of the way...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujububbajr View Post
Mine wouldn't come off and I soon figured out to open a faucet with no water connected. When all faucets are closed it creates a vacumm, open one up and let all the water drain out and it should come right off, at least it did in my case.
Trust Jujububbajr on this one! I was struggling the same as you. Someone gave me this tip, and once I released the pressure (I removed a hose at the filter area), I could twist the cannister with my hand. I couldn't believe it. It felt like it was glued on before, but after the pressure release if felt like it should have been tightened a lot more. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and depressurize the lines. I bet it'll slip right off.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Just out of curiosty Willis, where did you get that filter and how did you get up enough never to screw something into the outside of the trailer skin. Is it located in any special place or just screwed to the body where convient? I was wondering what is there for the screws to catch beside the skin?
I bought this at Camping World, but any big box store would have the filter. The bracket on the other hand is more RV specific. The filter AND bracket do not "travel" so there is very little stress. The filter and bracket lifts off easily and is removed before traveling and stowed. The bracket kit comes with two sets so I mounted another bracket in a storage area where the filter can hang safely during travel. If I remember correctly, the bracket was maybe $10 or so.

The bracket has fours screws and I did try to catch the two screws on one side into a stud. But like I said, even when full of water, the filter isn't really that heavy and there's no stress on it from traveling so I feel comfortable with the arrangement. I did used silicone caulk on all of the contact points and the screw holes in particular.

Edit: found this link on CampingWorld.com...$15.

Hydro Life Inc - Water Filter Holder - Water Filtration - Camping World

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

Thanks for the info. I think that is the way to go for sure.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #15

Oh I get it Willis...so when you go to change the filter, you are not doing it while it is on the RV. Duh, that makes sense, you are just hanging it there....that is pretty much a static load on that bracket. Good idea. I know who to go to now if we do this to our Roo.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo