Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #1

Apology to forum

Looking at some/most of my responses on the Roo forums I realize I may have let my emotions run away. When we purchased our new Roo 233S we bought new because we just didn't want the headache of buying used. We looked around for some time and because we like to travel and knowing I had a brand new 1500 Chevy for pulling the Roo line seemed like the way to go. We waited and when it finally arrived we were thrilled. We looked over all the paperwork, what to do and what not to do and did as instructed in the manual. The first rain storm we got after "seasoning" rain came in the seams. Mattresses wet. Honestly we were mad but after reading this forum gave it more time. It did seem to slow down after a few storms or at least be enough for us to just wrap a towel under the curved pole which is where the most water was coming in. I raise my hand and say (always have) that two weeks ago I believe I made a mistake and some canvass was stuck in a seam when I closed a bunk and water poured in. This has not happened again. A few days ago the weather was nice and we had some bird...stains on the canvas so I washed them. That night we had another bad storm and rain came in all the seams again. We ended up pulling out mattress and sleeping on the floor.
Can anyone see why we are so frustrated? We have yet to have one Weekend with peace. I fixed the vent problem in the refrigerator a few Weeks ago so at least that's one I don't have to worry about.
I will certainly take back my comment on all Roo's being junk. I do believe more quality control should go into their product. If I offended anyone I apologize. I wish everyone luck with whatever campers they may have. If mine didn't leak we would love it.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You are allowed to vent, it helps others that might be having or had the same problem!!
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
MI Camperz

I would rather know the truth. Thx for sharing.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Site Team

I feel your frustration. On my third trailer now. Did more research on this one than ever before. Drove 3 hours from home to buy it. More trouble with this one in 3 months than the 8 combined years with the first 2. But just about got it fixed up and enjoy every trip.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #5

Venting is good. I hope you get all the problems sorted out..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

Who hasn't said something remiss out of frustration?! If its your first time welcome to the club. Stick with your Roo and the issues you describe will get worked out. All of them have a fix. A pain for sure. I've had some annoying issues with mine as well but thats another thread. At times I've second guessed my choice and even gone so far as to look at other possible TT, trade in value, and what kind of $$ I could get if I lit it on fire! -j/k- I know this that if you are looking for a resource to help deal with issues that come along with whatever camper you end up with you cant find a better bunch of people anywhere. The quick responses from those who have diverse experiences and limitless knowledge is priceless.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

No problems with any if your posts! If you can't post what you want on a forum within reason because of a fear of upsetting a few people than its not really an open forum ! I enjoy reading each and every post weather I agree with the post or not. No worries ... And I'm a roo owner !!
Chris1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

If the Roo is leaking at seams try seam sealant. It is the same you would use on a tent. Most leaks in tent material is through the stitching and not the fabric. The seam sealant will help seal the area around the stitching and the fabric. Hope this helps with the leaking problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

The manual on my last trailer said to use a wax candle on the inside seams....never leaked, so I never tried it. I've heard that will help seal, though.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
Looking at some/most of my responses on the Roo forums I realize I may have let my emotions run away. When we purchased our new Roo 233S we bought new because we just didn't want the headache of buying used. We looked around for some time and because we like to travel and knowing I had a brand new 1500 Chevy for pulling the Roo line seemed like the way to go. We waited and when it finally arrived we were thrilled. We looked over all the paperwork, what to do and what not to do and did as instructed in the manual. The first rain storm we got after "seasoning" rain came in the seams. Mattresses wet. Honestly we were mad but after reading this forum gave it more time. It did seem to slow down after a few storms or at least be enough for us to just wrap a towel under the curved pole which is where the most water was coming in. I raise my hand and say (always have) that two weeks ago I believe I made a mistake and some canvass was stuck in a seam when I closed a bunk and water poured in. This has not happened again. A few days ago the weather was nice and we had some bird...stains on the canvas so I washed them. That night we had another bad storm and rain came in all the seams again. We ended up pulling out mattress and sleeping on the floor.
Can anyone see why we are so frustrated? We have yet to have one Weekend with peace. I fixed the vent problem in the refrigerator a few Weeks ago so at least that's one I don't have to worry about.
I will certainly take back my comment on all Roo's being junk. I do believe more quality control should go into their product. If I offended anyone I apologize. I wish everyone luck with whatever campers they may have. If mine didn't leak we would love it.
Thanks for the apology (not due!). You didn't state any offensive comments/information. I would also have been quite upset over the issues you experienced. Warranties are wonderful, if you can find a competent service agent. I would suggest you exercise your warranty rights and be persistent and if necessary, a frequent visitor to your service center. I have another model and it had numerous defects when delivered. I was VERY persistent with my dealer and after four months of ownership, it appears to be repaired. It will all be corrected and you will have many enjoyable days of using the new trailer. We all go through the "fix it" period!!!!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #11

It's OK to bitch and moan. It's human.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #12

I don't own a Roo but I have owned tents. I assume the canvas on a Roo is pretty much the same as a tent. From the time I was a little boy I can always remember being told, do not touch the canvas when it is raining as it will start leaking there. Also, try to make sure other things, ie.. Mattresses or what ever are not up against the canvas as it will,cause the canvas to leak.

I agree with other posts here as far as waterproofing the seams and it might be good to apply a good canvas sealant on you Roo.

It is no fun to sleep in a wet bed.. Good luck

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #13

They're not the same. FR uses kind of a canvas covered in vinyl. Unless it's torn, it won't leak. The seams are sewn with a thread that's designed to expand when it gets wet. That usually only needs to be done once, sometimes twice.

I'm not actually sure if a sealer spray will work on these. I always carried a can with me, but never had to use it. Most of the ones I've seen are more for a water proofing (like on a breathable tent material). What we're talking here is more of a water getting into the holes where it's stitched type of thing.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #14

That is why I recommended using seam sealant. You can get it as a spray or a brush on application. If i had to seal the seam i would use the brush on. As you have stated the thread should swell when wet and seal the seam. This does not always happen and you will have a leak at the seam. If you look at the seam you can see the holes left behind by the needle when stitching the seams together. The seam sealer is made for nylon tents but will work on the fabric that FR uses.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #15

In my opinion I would avoid any sealing product the manufacture does not recommend in writing. Applying it will shift all the blame to you.

I'd be frustrated too. Follow the written procedures exactly. Swell the stiching if needed. If the thing still leaks, take it in for service. Give the service location ample time and opportunity to make it right. If they don't, call Forest River. I owned a cheap Viking popup for many many years. Never leaked a drop, not even on the first trip. There is no reason a new unit should be leaking after the first good rain. If you wanted to get wet you would sleep in a cheap department store tent.

My brand new 2014 MH had an epic number of problems. Pages. I didn't give the dealer or FR a chance to fix most of them so I can't complain much. The ones I did ask for help with have dragged on for months. Inexcusable. Don't give up, I actually love my new MH. I'll say it right here with you, my MH was junk. And by junk I mean it was not suitable for sale to anyone. And the manufacture knew it, and the driver from Indiana or Iowa knew it, and the dealer knew it. But I am determined not to let any of them take the fun out of it. My family have already had epic adventures in this thing, so I'm not giving up.
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote