Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2022, 07:59 PM   #1

Asteroid struck my Roo and broke shower skylight!

OK,it was a tree limb. But it made ya look!

Damaged the outer blister of the skylight over the shower. Looking for potential replacement for this "clear" plastic piece. The inner blister offers no weather protection.

2005 production Roo. I'm guessing the skylight is a standard part that covers several trailers. Looking for clues on obtaining a replacement part.

We're two weeks from home and hoping the patch holds in this rainy weather.

-- Chuck
Old 10-04-2022, 08:18 PM   #2

What are the measurements of your existing dome? I did a quick search for "RV Shower Skylight" and found lots of returns that may work.
Here is a link to E-Bay that has several options for a 14x22 replacement. If you have a different size, post the measurements and I'll do a search for a match.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
What are the measurements of your existing dome? I did a quick search for "RV Shower Skylight" and found lots of returns that may work.
Here is a link to E-Bay that has several options for a 14x22 replacement. If you have a different size, post the measurements and I'll do a search for a match.
LINK?
Old 10-04-2022, 08:27 PM   #4

Doh!
Scroll down a bit to see the top blisters...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...d22a2f03c4cb22
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
OK,it was a tree limb. But it made ya look!

Damaged the outer blister of the skylight over the shower. Looking for potential replacement for this "clear" plastic piece. The inner blister offers no weather protection.

2005 production Roo. I'm guessing the skylight is a standard part that covers several trailers. Looking for clues on obtaining a replacement part.

We're two weeks from home and hoping the patch holds in this rainy weather.

-- Chuck
can you stick down some clear plastic over the dome for the time being? Maybe even a large 30 gallon trash bag? Pick up a roll of Gorilla tape to tape it down.
Hopefully you have little to no rain for the next few days...

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #6

Trash bag and some sort of tape applied yesterday by a mobile repair shop. He ran a heat gun over the tape to help seal it.

26" x 17" x 4" (dome) at the flange. 20" x 14" ceiling cutout. Looks like a standard size dome is 25" x 17" x 4" so my 26" measurement may may be off -- there's a giant amount of caulk around it. Tips for removing all that 15 year old caulk appreciated.

Thanks for all the responses. Hope the patch holds until I'm back home in two weeks.

-- Chuck
Old 10-05-2022, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Tips for removing all that 15 year old caulk appreciated.

-- Chuck
Plastic putty knife and some patience. A hair dryer can help soften the sealant for removal.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #8

I have a similar situation a couple months ago. Out of nowhere my MH was attacked by Big Foot and broke the skylight over the shower. I did a search in Google and discovered the dome comes in 2 sizes sizes. The installation was relatively easy. You will spend most of your time removing the old skylight seal. YouTube has a couple videos showing you how to replace the dome. I purchased the replacement at RVupgrade.com
Gitanillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #9

I replaced the skylight over the shower on my last trailer (2018 salem cruise lite) after a storm tossed my shade tent onto the roof. My dealer wanted over $250 to replace this skylight.

This is the product I purchased, its a better quality dome than what the factory installs, much thicker and less flimsy. Of course 2 years ago it was about $20 cheaper than it is today. I chose the white version so it would not yellow over the years in the sun. The white version lets in the same amount of light, it's just not as intense as the clear version.

ICON RV Skylight - SL1422W - White https://a.co/d/eH9PGo3

You will need a flexible putty knife (I used a metal one because it's thinner than plastic and rounded the corners with a sander) a roll of 1" butyl tape, 2 tubes of dicor self leveling sealant, and denatured alcohol.

It will take you the better part of an hour or more to remove all the old dicor around the old skylight. Take your time so you don't tear a hole in the roof membrane. If I remember correctly I had the same size cutout as you have. This dome will fit just fine since it's slightly larger on one dimension than the actual ceiling cutout.

I reused the screws from the factory skylight because they are square drive. I had to use a pic tool the remove the dicor from the square holes. DON'T over tighten the screws during reassembly as it can crack the new skylight.

Some Pics of my repair

Removing what's left after the dome is out is the labor intensive part

If I was to do this again I would have used twice the amount of dicor. It never leaked during the time I owned it after the replacement

Here is the video I watched before attempting the replacement. This guy is wrong about using Dicor on a PVC roof. Dicor is labeled for PVC roof membranes.
https://youtu.be/qkRhyn2Q70s
Old 10-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #10

"Tutorial" with photos much appreciated!

-- Chuck
Old 10-22-2022, 09:00 AM   #11

Started the skylight replacement yesterday. Amount of Dicor up there is astounding and it comes off slooooooooooooowly even with a heat gun. 18 years of extra caulking. Most screws underneath have rust on them -- why these weren't stainless is a puzzle -- and several had nothing holding them to the roof and just spun when I tried to unscrew them. Replacing all screws with the next size larger screws which will hopefully grab.

Will finish working on the caulking once it warms up today. Looks no way as nice underneath as Dirthog's photos. Got the broken skylight off so I can now work by standing on a little step ladder in the shower and working out of the hatch to finish up cleaning, then up on the roof again to fit the skylight. Lots of repair work needs to be done in this area from weathering.

Old skylight was in bad shape even before the "meteorite" (downgraded from asteroid) struck with much Dicor covering small cracks.

If you're reading this I recommend some preventive replacement on yours before it fails or gets broken. $100 or so for a new skylight (see recommendation in a previous message).

Found an inner panel with a clear window on top to replace the white translucent panel. More natural light in the shower.

More as it happens. Need another 10°F outdoor temp to get back to work today.

-- Chuck
Old 10-22-2022, 04:11 PM   #12

New skylight is in for the night. Letting the self leveling Dicor caulk sit and level itself for 24 hours, then back on the roof for a second application. Camper is stored indoors so all should be good until she comes out again and gets inspected.

Cleaned up all the caulk "chips" that I scraped and pulled off the broken skylight. They weighed nearly three (3) pounds -- a lot of caulk over 18 years.

None of the screw holes on the replacement skylight matched. No matter, new screws went right in. Final tightening by hand.

Happy to report no damage other than the skylight.

-- Chuck
Old 10-22-2022, 07:26 PM   #13

Right on!

Glad your repair went well.

Tags
light, roo, show, shower, skylight, truck