Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Pun View Post
We use the CAREFREE R019399-001 RV Awning Stabilizer Kit (https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-R019...9311165&sr=8-3)
2 of my buddies have that set up and like them

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Pun View Post
We use the CAREFREE R019399-001 RV Awning Stabilizer Kit (https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-R019...9311165&sr=8-3)
The picture in that advertisement shows the tiedown straps extended out at enough of an angle to create excessive stress where the awning attaches to the outer wall. The strap should be attached to a ground fitting positioned about a foot or so from the pole.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
......I've had a Sunsetter(tm) awning on the back porch of my last two houses and they have a high wind sensor on them which closes the awning in potentially damaging winds. Is this not an option for the powered canopies on campers?Chuck
Yes, some awnings do have wind sensors, a very nice feature if you have one. I spent a month near Key West Nov-Dec, and the daily winds required me to be very attentive with my non-sensored awning.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #24
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Perhaps it's my sheltered life but the last time I used a tie-down for the canopy was my Coleman Popup and they were the only way the canopy would remain upright.

Since 2005 with my Roo 23SS I have neither tied the manual canopy down nor furled it due to wind. We camp almost exclusively in shaded wooded sites and not in open fields where wind may be a factor. I usually stake the front upright so the canopy can be used in the "carport" configuration and we don't have to constantly walk around the front diagonal support.

I've had a Sunsetter(tm) awning on the back porch of my last two houses and they have a high wind sensor on them which closes the awning in potentially damaging winds. Is this not an option for the powered canopies on campers?

-- Chuck
No, powered awnings do not have the triangular support of manual awnings nor a removable arm that can be used as a carport option. The two are completely different animals.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #25

Yes, we use them every time we put our awning out. It is peace of mind since it is costly to replace the awning. They really do work. We will even use another tie down to secure the awning. We have a power awning and the tie downs work with ours.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #26

Awning Tie Downs?

I use the Camco kit but I added springs to the ropes. Gives a little bit then in moderate winds. I use S-hooks at the top for quick release when it starts to get really windy or when leaving the campsite unattended. The springs I found are for clothes lines. Works great!
UrbanAngelRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #27

tie downs

i have an electric awning. what i did was buy the screw in hooks. i filled a couple of small plastic flower pots with concrete and then screwed in the tie downs. i have been through some pretty good storms and they worked great. the flower pots do not have to be that big and they store easy.
joel mcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #28
Deleted Posts Member

The thing I noticed about the tie downs, is that they only pull the awning downward.
You also need something to support the awning from below, or the whole thing will be very unstable with winds downforce.

Here is what I suggest ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210424_164312_448.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	262186   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShadePro.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	262187   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201114_111236.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	262188  
Old 09-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #29

Our TT is 10 years old. We've used tie downs since day 1. Zero issues. Did go through a tornado and we lost one arm, but it was NOT tied down at that time. We pull it in when winds get too bad.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #30

A different approach to tying down

For about three years I've been carrying two five gallon buckets with handles. I fill them with about four gallons of water and place them directly below the awning roller at each end. Here is how I rigged the rope to each bucket.
At the end of the roller, at the top of the pole there is usually a single bolt which secures the roller to the pole. I removed the bolt and got a friend to weld a thick washer to the head of the bolt such as to provide a place to attach a hook such as:

https://smile.amazon.com/PENTA-ANGEL...0634657&sr=8-9

I then run a rope from the hook through the bucket handle and back up through a loop at the hook and tie it with an easy to release slip knot.

This works for me.
champ837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:59 PM   #31

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We use them occasionally. They work in a light to medium wind, but if it gets much over 10-12 mph we close the awning. You have to be careful of the gusts.
The price of an awning or camper wall repair is not worth the risk.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #32

I tie mine down always....you never know about wind
Patty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #33

Definitely this post ....

Name:	20180317_125029 - Copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	262193

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Do you have a power awning or a manual awning?

Awning tie downs are used and discussion of them has been hashed over on this forum to great extent.

If you have a manual awning, then the triangulation of the awning arms allows for tie downs to be used.

If you have an electric/power awning, then the arms DO NOT provide enough support for tie downs unless you have what are called "awning poles and brackets". There were a couple members who made them and sold them but both no longer do. many have fabricated their own version. Search awning poles and you will get LOTS of reading and opinions!

There is a manufacturer out there commercially making them but I can't recall the name offhand. I will look for it and edit this post if I can find it.

Here are some poles/brackets and tie downs I've added to mine from forum member TURBS.
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasJ View Post
Hi All
We are currently camping in our 2020 Roo on a lake front site, and it's windy everyday so far. We have not owned our awning but due would be nice as the sun is pounding as well! My question is has anyone ever used awning tie downs, like the camco screw in to the ground and strap style? They sell them at the camp store and in debating buying a two pack but works like advice first... thanks
Why tie down? You only need it when you are out side....

The sides of the top are still loose. The top will still flap and tear. If you'd are inside and out gets windy and rainy, do you really want to go outside to untie before you retract the awning. I have seen awnings ripped from the wall....I NEVER tie mine down. When was the last time you checked the screws on the mount. They can, and will, loosen up. Vibrations are horrible on things. I tighten ALL outside screws periodically. Fenders are the worst.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #35

I made a couple of posts from the old style awning with the post that could stay attached to the unit or detached and moved out to vertical. Had to cut the end on an angle and make a notch. I've found they need to be set up leaning outwards a bit to keep from being pulled towards the TT. They are adjustable for height and work well. Still makes me nervous if a gust kicks up. But to put everything away every time it gets windy would be a real pain. Maybe someday they will design TT's to be used in actual outside conditions! Like dry camping would be nice!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasJ View Post
Hi All
We are currently camping in our 2020 Roo on a lake front site, and it's windy everyday so far. We have not owned our awning but due would be nice as the sun is pounding as well! My question is has anyone ever used awning tie downs, like the camco screw in to the ground and strap style? They sell them at the camp store and in debating buying a two pack but works like advice first... thanks
We have used them, but they pulled out. We have stopped using awning, removed it from our fiver, Have seen several smaller trailers flipped due to wind gust getting under the awning fortunatly they were not inside.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #37

Camco screw in types work fine except in real sandy soil, which in my experience has been <5% of the time

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #38

i have never given thought to support poles, but i'm not sure that i would care to have to walk around them.

ALSO, i have springs at the end of the tiedown strap, between the strap end hook and the spiral anchor; this allows a bit of movement in a wind

Bill

i have no clue why the picture is sideways, but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8332.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	262198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8358.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	262200  
2005gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #39

Agree
Wentpostal2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Why tie down? You only need it when you are out side....

The sides of the top are still loose. The top will still flap and tear. If you'd are inside and out gets windy and rainy, do you really want to go outside to untie before you retract the awning. I have seen awnings ripped from the wall....I NEVER tie mine down. When was the last time you checked the screws on the mount. They can, and will, loosen up. Vibrations are horrible on things. I tighten ALL outside screws periodically. Fenders are the worst.

I recall reading thru the threads from Oldcoot and Turbs. One guy was wintering in Arizona, dry, warm, very sunny, and windy. Claimed that using the Oldcoot/Turbs product he had his awning out in 40 mph winds, seemingly on a consistent basis. I'm guessing that he left the awning out full time partly because with those winds, he couldn't extend the awning and tie it down when he wanted to be outside under it. I also recall a discussion about adapting the poles to add "deflapper" capability.

I also remember downloading an engineering drawing of Oldcoots brackets, though I couldn't find it this morning when I looked. I did see a picture of the bracket and the forming die that he used to bend them into final shape. Interesting that he adapted an electric log splitter for the job.
For myself, I have installed Oldcoots brackets and for poles am using legs off of a destroyed easy-up. I added 6" of PVC pipe on the top to add some length to the legs. The pvc is installed inside the leg and I can adjust how much additional length is used.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning