Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

battery

I tried reviving an old thread and was told it was too old.

I just got back from a short solo weekend of dry camping. I ran the furnace for about 20 minutes at most. The lights were used infrequently, and the water pump switch we left on, but not used for extended periods. The refrigerator was on the whole time. At the end of 36 hours, there was very little battery power left on a system using two deep cycle batteries. I have a 2016 Roo 21BD. I did accidentally leave the amber porch light on over night last night. I still would not expect there to be that much battery drain by myself. The refrigerator I have is a Dometic model DMR702. I can't find in the owners manual that it has the defrost element that people are referring to with their older models. It has what they refer to as a heater, but make it sound like it is the heater for the cooling system to even operate. The sticker in the door says 2.7 amp when on 120V, but nothing when connected to 12V. Any ideas?

Finally, will a 200 amp solar panel be adequate to keep the battery boosted enough to extend the dry camping trip without necessarily fully charging the batteries in a day. I know most people I see are saying 400-500 amp. We rarely go for more than 3 days and only need to be able to prevent totally draining the batteries.
brian21BD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

I got by fine on two group 24 12Vs for two or three days without dropping below 60% charge. You shouldn't need solar for what you're describing. Leaving that outside light on MAY have dropped it a good bit. How are you checking charge and how are you charging?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

I charged with shore power for more than 24 hours prior to leaving. I am checking with the lights on the panel just inside the entry door. It showed all four lights being on when I left and this morning it was at the 1/3 light. I haven't done anything more scientific than that at the moment. We felt like we were having trouble last fall after we got it because we were constantly needing to monitor battery usage every time we went out. We feel like there is something that is draining the batteries that we are not aware of. Purchased the second battery at the dealer when we took delivery in order to make sure that there would not be a problem. Last fall we went out and it was cold enough that we needed to run the furnace the first night. It killed the batteries that night.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

I'm starting to question the health of the batteries. The deeper you discharge them and the longer you go before fully recharging can shorten life on them. You've most likely got hybrid / marine type batteries that aren't really ideal for deep cycle use. They'll work, but you've got to take care of them. It's also possible you've just got a weak battery. The status lights are a joke, but 1/3 will generally tell you that you are actually on the low side. It sounds like you use your rig like I use mine. What I ended up doing after my 12V finally died (took about four years) is switch to 2 6V in series and get a good charger ( I use a CTEK 7 stage ) and just leave it plugged in when not in use.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #5

I purchased two of these matching batteries last september 2015 from the dealer at delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8671.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	495.0 KB
ID:	105970  
Old 04-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes your dmr702 has a defrost element and no switch to turn it off.

How old was your first battery when you added the second?

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

they were both brand new. Do you know if the option I have seen to cut the wire on the heating element works on this fridge?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

It's still possible that one of them isn't holding a charge and dragging the other down with it. Your two big battery killers are going to be water pump and furnace. Water pump shouldn't be an issue unless you use it a lot. Your refrigerator controls and CO detector will constantly pull, but it's fairly minimal. I'd pull them and have them load tested (on a deep cycle test) just to see, it may not show anything but if it does, you'll know for sure. I had this exact thing happen to me this past fall. I went to kick on the furnace and the lights dimmed on night number one. One of my batteries died. They showed fully charged when I left the house 12 hrs earlier and the only thing running was the refrigerator control and the CO detector.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21BD View Post
they were both brand new. Do you know if the option I have seen to cut the wire on the heating element works on this fridge?

It works but have not done it yet, the wire can be found through the light switch access hole.
Here's your fridge wiring diagram.
T is the heating cable being referred to as the defrosting circuit.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Yes your dmr702 has a defrost element and no switch to turn it off.
That'll do it....I'm still in disbelief that they would put something like that in an RV with no switch.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Agreed

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 04-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info. I am going to start doing some testing to find out if there is a hidden draw that I am not aware of. I will also do a load test on the batteries. Never know, but at least it could save or create more work depending on the results. I will probably disconnect the heater cable regardless. Since it isn't used for extended periods and then turned off, I can't see condensation being an issue. Again, thank you for the info.

Brian
Old 04-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #13

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461546518.413209.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	105978
Solved my problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
Site Team

I think you have a typo in your initial post. I assume you are asking about a 200W solar panel. A 200amp solar panel set up would be much larger than your RV. Try changing some lights out for LEDs if not already equipped. Disconnect the Fridge door frame heater.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by palominoryda View Post
Attachment 105978
Solved my problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Kinda of a useless recommendation for a hybrid TT owner, since there's only room for two batteries on the tongue.

If you can handle the taller 6v golf cart batteries, you should consider them.
I couldn't because of clearance issues with the electric tongue jack.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
I'm starting to question the health of the batteries. The deeper you discharge them and the longer you go before fully recharging can shorten life on them. You've most likely got hybrid / marine type batteries that aren't really ideal for deep cycle use. They'll work, but you've got to take care of them. It's also possible you've just got a weak battery. The status lights are a joke, but 1/3 will generally tell you that you are actually on the low side. It sounds like you use your rig like I use mine. What I ended up doing after my 12V finally died (took about four years) is switch to 2 6V in series and get a good charger ( I use a CTEK 7 stage ) and just leave it plugged in when not in use.
The "1/3" light is actually an "F" - "fair" when you read the battery; it only means 1/3 when reading tank levels. In this case it means your 12 volt battery is outputting more than 11.6 volts. (near death).

My guess is you have exceeded the number of usable cycles due to discharging your battery below 50% capacity too many times ("G" light JUST goes out - or the "2/3" light)

200 watts of solar won't help you if your batteries are toast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery Display.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	105996   Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroMonitor.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	105998  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #17

I appreciate all this information. I have charged my batteries and given them 24 hours rest to determine whether they are even holding a full charge. At this time (24 hrs later) they are both sitting at 13.00V. I guess I need to have a load test done to determine overall health. They haven't been used that many times, but I guess they could be toast. If I do need new batteries, then is a 200W solar panel enough to keep me up and running above the 50% with "normal" usage?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #18

Quote:
I have charged my batteries and given them 24 hours rest to determine whether they are even holding a full charge. At this time (24 hrs later) they are both sitting at 13.00V.
Can't be...13.00 is to high for a flooded lead acid battery. as far as the 200 watt solar installation...what is "normal use." Without a big inverter and residential reefer, 200 watts should be enough for lights and such. Remember its 200 watts on the best day, with the sun shining directly on the panel. I am using 300 watts for 6 batteries and a residential reefer, but I will use the generator to get a boost charge for 3 or 4 hours a day in addition to the solar.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I appreciate all this information. I have charged my batteries and given them 24 hours rest to determine whether they are even holding a full charge. At this time (24 hrs later) they are both sitting at 13.00V. I guess I need to have a load test done to determine overall health. They haven't been used that many times, but I guess they could be toast. If I do need new batteries, then is a 200W solar panel enough to keep me up and running above the 50% with "normal" usage?
There are many web sites with instructions on how to calculate the size solar panel you need based on battery bank size and your predicted usage.

There are just too many variables to predict how much solar you would need.

I can tell you that 200 watts is enough to power a TV for a few hours and that is it.

A 100AH battery contains (12 volts X 100 amps) 1200 watts for 1 hour till dead (Math here is theoretical since it is impossible to get 100 amps out of a battery for an hour due to the Peukert Effect - PE) or 5 amps at 12 volts for 20 hours (5A x 20H = 100AH) which is the rating and also equal 1200 watt/hour @ 12 volts.

As discharge rate goes above 5 amps, the PE reduces the AH the battery can deliver.

For example, from the graph, we need 10 amps to run our camper. Due to PE, the capacity at that load drops to 78AH. So at 10 amps, the battery will last 78AH/10A or only 7.8 hours.

Remember that Peukert Effect impacts charging too. You just can not smash 1200 watt hours into a battery without burning it up.

If you charge at 10 amps, it will also TAKE 7.8 hours to replace that charge (provided your solar charge controller will do that, which it won't due to the charge rate dropping as the battery fills, just like your dedicated charger or Converter does).

If you plan on more than that you will need a lot of battery and a way to recharge them every day beyond solar (which will cut down on generator time each day).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	106166  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
It works but have not done it yet, the wire can be found through the light switch access hole.
Here's your fridge wiring diagram.
T is the heating cable being referred to as the defrosting circuit.
Following, we need to run our fridge in the storage lot and turning of the ndoor defrost will certainly help with draw.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery