Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #1

Bed Condensation

Bought a 2007 Roo 21SS 2 times we took out out we would get condensation on the inside of the tenting. One time so bad we could not use the beds. Is there a trick? Are we not keeping proper ventilation? We have a hood over the roof vent so it stays open all the time. The time that is was the worse it was colder out side we did not run the heat hardly at all., the one time it was cooler at night and pretty warm in the day and was not running A/C We have owned 2 different RV in the past a 30ft Travel Trailer and a 36 ft 5th wheel. The Hybrid is a different animal to me .
jsgitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #2

it's all due to there being too much moisture in the air inside, and it being too cold outside. The camper is effectively functioning like an inside-out glass of ice cold lemonade in summertime. Moisture in the air condenses out against the cold surface(s) of the tent ends, and the bunk doors (because there's little-to-no insulation on those surfaces). Just like how single pane windows will be covered with condensation in a house.

The two things you can do is (1) reduce moisture in the air and (2) increase air circulation. Leaving a vent open is a good start, but you need air exchange and circulation. If you have your vent open (running or not), you need to crack a window to exchange moisture-laden INSIDE air with drier OUTSIDE air. Also, get a fan going to move air into and through the bed ends. Minimizing how much of your bedding is blocking the uninsulated parts, helps, too.

Air circulation with drier air is the key.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
Site Team

What you are seeing is perfectly normal in cold weather, however there are several things you can do to help reduce the impact. The condensation you are getting is likely from breathing and not breathing is not an option. Try to do as much cooking as possible outside as it generates moisture. Run the furnace. It does not add moisture to the inside air and will help to warm up the cold surfaces that are causing the condensation. Get a set of pup-up gizmos or similar items. These help increase the the temp of the tenting. Crack a window and vent to allow the drier outside air in. You also need to be aware that the moisture from your body will penetrate the mattress and condense on the cold bed platform. Get several sheets of 4 X 8 ft foil faced foam board home insulation and cut to fit under the mattress. Most RV's are not designed to handle cold weather well ( despite what a dealer may tell you. You need to use some extra effort to keep things as dry as possible.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #4

When I boondock and sleep in my canopy in the back of my Ram, I add two layers of insulation under the mattress. A back packer foam pad will work, plus an ordinary 1" (2' x 8') construction foam plank.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #5
Site Team

First, a set of Popup Gizmos are a must and help with condensation.
Many newbies button up their RV like a submarine, with no air movement. You must keep a fan running and crack a window or tent flap. Air movement is the key.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, a set of Popup Gizmos are a must and help with condensation.
Many newbies button up their RV like a submarine, with no air movement. You must keep a fan running and crack a window or tent flap. Air movement is the key.

Not a newbie except for the last 4 years have had some type of RV since 2000. Never had issues, but like you said I kept air movement. This Hybrid is a little different. I need do the same which I have but I guess more of it.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #7
Trailer Trash

Personally, I've had to leave both roof vents cracked and my maxfan on the lowest setting to cure this. I also bought a bunch of these and stashed them everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Moisture-Vacp...s%2C227&sr=8-7
Old 02-24-2022, 01:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgitt View Post
Not a newbie except for the last 4 years have had some type of RV since 2000. Never had issues, but like you said I kept air movement. This Hybrid is a little different. I need do the same which I have but I guess more of it.

Thanks
I meant newbies to hybrids.
That's why a separate section for hybrids is very necessary. They have unique features and issues from other types of RVs.
I had a Roo hybrid for 10 years but I spent the previous 2 years on various Hybrid forums. I wanted to make sure I knew all the good and bad before buying one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #9

Yeah, the hybrid is a unique breed in a number of ways. Learn every day.

And while we have our "moments," I'm always super thankful for the tremendous amount of help and overwhelmingly fantastic resource the forum is!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Yeah, the hybrid is a unique breed in a number of ways. Learn every day.

And while we have our "moments," I'm always super thankful for the tremendous amount of help and overwhelmingly fantastic resource the forum is!
I have always found that these forums are the best way to go. Nothing is better that hands on experience.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Another source of condensation in hybrids and popups, is under the mattress. We tried many things but found that a wool blanket underneath the best. It allowed for some air movement.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Another source of condensation in hybrids and popups, is under the mattress. We tried many things but found that a wool blanket underneath the best. It allowed for some air movement.
Yes we have noticed that also. Will keep that one in mind. Thanks again
Old 02-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

If you're lucky enough to have shore power, a small dehumidifier works wonders and I never travel without it. If you can manage to reduce indoor humidity through ventilation, that's great, but a lot of places I camp, the humidity is near 100% at night, so you just let more moisture in and heat out.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #14
Canadian Member

1) Try to minimize moisture
2) Maintain air movement with small fans
3) Use Popup Gizmos
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:30 AM   #15

unzip the tent about 6 to 10 inches close to your head and leave the vent fan on low when sleeping in cold weather that air moving past your head will eliminate much of the water vapor in your breath that condenses on the tent

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #16

I am big on having a dehumidifier. I fulltime.
Mine is over 6 years old and as new. Hear on the gulf coast of Texas, right now, the temp is about 50-60 daytime and 38-45 at night. I suck at least a gallon or more of water out of the air per day, and its just me. I shut i off at night.
Yes, it needs electric, no, it dont take much. It takes up a little space, gets covered and put away when not used, but when needed, its priceless.
Pros's and con's. Pro, does add some heat when running in colder weather, and moves the air, can be set on timer or auto per what one wants to have for humidity. Con, not to loud, but noise, not good for when moisture is needed to be removed and heat isnt wanted, but not hot enough to run the AC unit.
Wiping down the windows in the morning, then running for an hour, keeps the windows clear, then i shut off, and turn back on when i head out for the day to get my fix of crazy people.
If a camper has a hood vent, that is a real one and vents outside. One can prop it open with some foam, as it lets air in and out. Just hold your hand under it when its cold out, and you can feel how much it leaks. I cover it from the inside, when not cooking, when cold out.
I have also had a hybrid in the past, and was in a dry climate, but the dehumidifier, would have worked just fine in it, if was in a humid area.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Why don't you run it at night when you need it most? I find the white noise it produces conducive to sleeping, it's not as loud as my central blast AC unit.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroadorer99 View Post
I am big on having a dehumidifier. I fulltime.
I suck at least a gallon or more of water out of the air per day, and its just me. I shut i off at night.
This is good information from an actual user experience. 128oz per day. I recommend avoiding the small solid state dehumidifiers as by their own advertising they only remove up to 9oz per day. My experience is that actually are closer to 4-5 oz.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:54 PM   #19

I tried one of the small counter top dehumidifiers, and it really didnt do anything. so i went big. Maybe i got a bad counter top one.
As far as using it for white noise, it could be, but i am a light sleeper and can hear the compressor start and stop. It has a constant setting or timer, or set to how humid you want it, and will start and stop as needed on non constant.
It only gets used a few times a year, and when needed, it is needed.
If a person has hand wash cloths items and a no laundry outside at the campground, a folding drying rack in the tub/shower area with the dehumidifier and or ac going, makes quick drying and in stealth mode.

My problem is the MDF cabinets like to pull moisture out of the air, and swell in spots.
I have had to strip off the glued on paper stuff and dry, sand, seal and ended up painting most of the cabinets in the camper, top and bottom. And i hate painted cabinets.....

So with this little cold snap hear, its the perfect time for inside project, of taking the heat gun to all the cabinets and stripping off the covering. It is not fun, at all.
Then sand, give them a grain look and lots of coats of clear coat. So the dehumidifier running all day, helps move air and dry the cabinets out. The doors are wood, so its paint strip and just clear coat multiple coats.
I can say, that sealing the MDF inside and out top to bottom, moisture is going to find it hard to get to and swell.
I am going for the reclaimed wood look, as it kinda is reclaimed. And alot better looking than paint. To me.
I dont know how to post pic's on this forum, so if someone could tell me how, ill post pics of cabinets if wanted.
It is, again,,, alot of work, but looks good.
Bought this TT new, and its been 6 years now full timing, so time to redo the inside.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #20

Commonly quoted figure is we exhale 1 pound of water vapor while we sleep. About pint. That vapor and any vapor from cooking or a fuel burning heater (not the furnace) condenses on the much colder surfaces in the camper especially the tent material which lacking insulation is pretty much at outside air temperature.

Other than not breathing there ain't much we can do other than try to dissipate or dilute the vapor by ventilation or moving the air around with fans. Avoid cooking or showering without the exhaust fans running. Never use a portable propane heater. Remember this is camping. Keeping the camper indoor temperature as close to the outside air temperature helps too as warmer air can hold much more moisture that can then be deposited on the cold exterior surfaces.

This effect is not unique to tent camping or hybrids, I've awakened in the morning sopping wet after sleeping in a berth on various boats -- the sea water is often much colder than the air inside and condensation forms on the inside of the hull. This is mimicked on a hybrid camper as the beds sit on the doors.

-- Chuck

Tags
bed