Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I always thought the onboard chargers were not very good. I have not had great success getting a charge out of mine.
Too general of a statement. Constant voltage converters are awful and will take days to recharge a moderately discharged battery. New ones with 3-4 charge rates are much better but location and wire thickness used can make them useless. For example, I was losing 0.5 volts on my converter which was mounted 30 feet form the batteries. That voltage loss almost doubled my charge times because it never got into the necessary 14.2 volts for a bulk charge rate. Now, with a triple rate converter and it mounted within several feet of the batteries, I can get my batteries up to 90% charge in about 2 hours of running the generator. The last 10%, the absorption charge, still takes a while
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #22

That generator may not be able to power your onboard converter to charge the batterys..

Example. My wfco 8955 wants 750watts in per specifications...

Just a thought...
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #23

charging slow with solar and/or a Genny, never puts in a full deep charge in your battery.

we have boondocked for several days and thought that a solar panel and genny were not worth the trouble (we have both). I just took a pair of jumper cables and hooked from truck battery to RV battery and Idled the truck for a few minutes to keep the RV battery topped off. 14.5 voltage hard charge.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #24

Battery recharging when boondocking is incredibly simple. We boondock 80% of the time, and up to three weeks. We have 2 marine deep cell series 27 batteries by Interstate. We recharge every day by using our Honda EU2000i for about 5 hours. A few hours in the morning while making coffee and watching the news. A few hours after dark to watch TV. Never have a problem with running out of battery overnight. We have a stock converter which is 30' from the batteries with stock wire, and no solar.

So while having fancy converters right next to your batteries and using heavy gauge wire and supplementing all that with solar would be nice, it darn sure isn't necessary
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Battery recharging when boondocking is incredibly simple. We boondock 80% of the time, and up to three weeks. We have 2 marine deep cell series 27 batteries by Interstate. We recharge every day by using our Honda EU2000i for about 5 hours. A few hours in the morning while making coffee and watching the news. A few hours after dark to watch TV. Never have a problem with running out of battery overnight. We have a stock converter which is 30' from the batteries with stock wire, and no solar.

So while having fancy converters right next to your batteries and using heavy gauge wire and supplementing all that with solar would be nice, it darn sure isn't necessary
Looks like the run time on a tank of fuel is 5 hours on my little Harbor Freight Genny so I'll need to bring some extra fuel... Thinking it might be nice to have one of those duel fuel Gennys so you can run from the propane tanks and not have to carry gas around.

Maybe Santa will get it for me for XMAS if I'm extra good and drop her several subtle hints
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Looks like the run time on a tank of fuel is 5 hours on my little Harbor Freight Genny so I'll need to bring some extra fuel... Thinking it might be nice to have one of those duel fuel Gennys so you can run from the propane tanks and not have to carry gas around.

Maybe Santa will get it for me for XMAS if I'm extra good and drop her several subtle hints
There are actually very inexpensive dual fuel carburetors you can put on any generator. They run $20 more or less on e-bay, maybe $37 on Amazon with free shipping. I am not going to try it on my Westinghouse as it runs over 10 hours on a tank, but if I had an inexpensive little Harbour Freight it might be cool.
Generator Propane Conversion - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

I converted our home generator to tri fuel a few years ago. It is nice since we have NG in our home. It is a 8500 Briggs and Stratton so power is not an issue. But keep in mind propane and NG do not make the same amount of bang as does gas so you'll loose some wattage on the output, I think around 200 or so.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging