Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
There are a bunch of different answers here and the strange thing is, they're all correct. As you can see there are many options/choices for reducing movement in your parked RV.

I would like to make one distinction to the OP that I haven't seen mentioned yet...the jack under the frame near the axles is more for eliminating the vibration or "bounce" you'll get from steps as people walk through the trailer. Pretty much all of the other items mentioned are more for eliminating the back and forth and side to side movement (sway, wiggle, etc.) the trailer will experience in heavy winds and/or as people do things like roll over in bed etc. The later being much more noticeable and annoying...in my opinion.

I use some between the wheel chocks (RotoChoks ROCK!!!...too bad you cant get them anymore), and some jacks near the axles. There is very little movement and we are happy campers. I'm fairly certain that JT Strongarm (or equivalent) would be even better, but our setup is good enough that we are not looking to improve it.

If you've got a couple of cars in your garage/driveway, you could most likely test out the jack at axle method for free by borrowing the emergency jacks from your cars for a camping trip. Any jack that operates via a screw will work well (hydraulic would almost certainly leak down over the duration of all but the shortest of camping trips).
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #22
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"I have a new Roo 233s and am on its maiden voyage."

Learn to ignore it , just as boaters learn to ignore waves and wakes.
X 2 after a while ya never notice it like planes over head ya stop hearing them after a while. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #23

For those recommending X-Chocks, do they have to be X-Chocks specifically or will Camcorder Wheel Stops work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUU5Y0...=3VQKTD95KXW0O
Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
The Camco version would likely make a noticeable reduction in movement, but the x-chocks are clearly a better built item (metal vs thin plastic). Many people make their own out of wood. Heres a few pics I got from google to show the basic idea.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #25
Canadian Member

I made my own like the pics that GreenImp posted. I used pressure treated 4x4 and stainless steel hardware. I notched mine on the bottom to allow for regular chocks to be placed prior to installing these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	685.4 KB
ID:	139372

I have a set of Camco Stack Jacks that I tried last weekend on the frame near the axles and it really helped but the frame is cvered in that black corrugated plastic cardboard sheet so its not ideal to place them unde the frame.

Lou (Herk7769), I like your scissor jacks setup better than these Camco jacks. Are those mounts a DIY or did you buy them from a commercial seller?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #26

Stabilizers

I have a 34ft tt. I had the same issue anytime some one moved. I bought two of these. I put 1 under the steps going in on the camper frame. Then 1 behind the rear bumper. Works great. Good luck! Sorry couldnt figure out how to attach pic but its called Universal RV stabilizer. From camping world
waynebas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
No drilling. You place them where you want them and tighten the ratchet strap, which pulls the legs together and stabilizes the trailer. Check out the . Plus there are other videos relating to the Valterras as well as how to stabilize your rig.

I'm going to try some jacks that I already have this weekend. If that doesn't make the bounce acceptable then I will probably purchase these from you, assuming they are available still.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Three things helped stabilize my Roo 23SS and my Flagstaff 27BESS...
#1 - X-Chocks - you don't want the W-I-D-E type
#2 - Valterra Stabilizers - one under back bumper and one under the front frame. (Still have the two if you are interested -$50. Shipping included for the pair)
#3 - Step brace. Helps keep down the shaking when people go in and out.

I have a son that went about 300# at the time. All the above took out a lot of the shaking when he was with us.

X2 The Valterra and X chocks worked best for me. I put one under the rear bumper and the other one under the frame at the steps. You barely notice the camper move even when going in and out of the door. Didn't need anything extra under the step.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
what he said...

and tell the back/front sleeping person to be less bouncy while in the sack...
Always good to know what a mobile home dweller deals with....

'If this camper is a rock'in, don't come knock'in'......

All joking aside, I don't see what wheel wedges or chocks will do for bounce. The only cure I see is what Herk does. Load the axle box with a scissors jack. You have to lock the up and down movement of the axles. chocks don't do that.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post
I added BAL stabilizer arms to my 233S.Attachment 139262Attachment 139263Attachment 139264
We used a similar approach on our 233S. Can't recall the product brand right now, but our installation included telescoping arms at right angles at each stabilizer jack.

Agree there are many approaches to deal with the issue, so no right or wrong.

We used this method because we did not want any more loose hardware in the rig due to storage space limitations. These types of stabilizer arms deploy with the screw jack and only require hand tightening a T bolt to be effective.

The installation went OK, but I had to drill out the scissor jacks slightly to fit the supplied hardware. From the attached pictures of the BAL product this may not be an issue as it looks like they attach to the jack foot plate rather than replace the scissor jack pin. Ours also restrict the raised jacks slightly; not enough to cause an issue with reduced clearance, but there is a slight reduction.

Just highlighting to suggest looking at the specific attachment details if going with this type of product when selecting. I think ours were designed for heavier trailers with larger stabilizer jacks.

HTH

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Three things helped stabilize my Roo 23SS and my Flagstaff 27BESS...
#1 - X-Chocks - you don't want the W-I-D-E type
#2 - Valterra Stabilizers - one under back bumper and one under the front frame. (Still have the two if you are interested -$50. Shipping included for the pair)
#3 - Step brace. Helps keep down the shaking when people go in and out.

I have a son that went about 300# at the time. All the above took out a lot of the shaking when he was with us.

Do you still have the Valterra stabilizers for sale?
Old 06-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #32
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin79 View Post
Do you still have the Valterra stabilizers for sale?
No sir, they shipped out about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the inquiry though.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #33

We love the x chocks. We are big people... DH is #340 and I'm down from 325 to 240! [emoji16], but still, we're not dainty.
The x chocks help a lot. The only time we have significant movement is when we go up/down steps. Haven't added a step brace, but probably should for the longevity of the step.
Jonesclarinet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, camping