Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

Brand new 233 Roo - Water in shower drain

Hi

We are a brand new Roo owner (picked it up Friday). Based on all the postings here, we feel like this is the perfect camper for us. Thank you all for being such an active community. It really helped us decide.

We just picked up our brand new Roo 233 and did an initial camping trip to make sure we could set it up and take it down ok. We did not use the shower while camping, but we did test it on the walk through. We are putting the camper away until the next trip (next month or June) and there is water in the shower drain. It could be from the testing, but it has not cleared out. There was not a quick reference in the manual for me to look at and google was no help. Is there some valve that we need to turn? I do not want to have a shower that doesn't drain and I do not want to find that there are bigger issues that we needed to have attended to before we go on our first big trip in June.

Also, during our walkthrough we thought the top lights on the roo were not working, but the tech said it was due to sun glare. He could see a little red so they must be working. We are now home and they are not working. They will turn on with the running lights, but they don't show the turn signal or brake signal. The lower (traditional location) lights work just fine. Is this something we can fix ourselves or do we need to make the 2 hr. trek back to the dealer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
kimberlij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlij View Post
Hi

We are a brand new Roo owner (picked it up Friday). Based on all the postings here, we feel like this is the perfect camper for us. Thank you all for being such an active community. It really helped us decide.

We just picked up our brand new Roo 233 and did an initial camping trip to make sure we could set it up and take it down ok. We did not use the shower while camping, but we did test it on the walk through. We are putting the camper away until the next trip (next month or June) and there is water in the shower drain. It could be from the testing, but it has not cleared out. There was not a quick reference in the manual for me to look at and google was no help. Is there some valve that we need to turn? I do not want to have a shower that doesn't drain and I do not want to find that there are bigger issues that we needed to have attended to before we go on our first big trip in June.

Also, during our walkthrough we thought the top lights on the roo were not working, but the tech said it was due to sun glare. He could see a little red so they must be working. We are now home and they are not working. They will turn on with the running lights, but they don't show the turn signal or brake signal. The lower (traditional location) lights work just fine. Is this something we can fix ourselves or do we need to make the 2 hr. trek back to the dealer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have standing water in the shower base or are you just seeing water when you look into the drain? The shower drain will have a trap in the line.

If you're talking about the 3 lights across the top of the camper at the back they are only running lights.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Site Team

the most common cause of a shower not draining, is a full gray tank.

is this a brand new or new-to-you 233?
if new, any chance the dealer didn't drain the gray tank?

or did you use the sinks quite a bit? both sinks drain into the gray tank, in addition to the shower. so, if you aren't familiar with gray tank usage, you could have easily filled the gray tank by washing dishes or running the sinks.

after the trip, did you dump your gray tank?

i have a feeling you didn't get a good PDI when you picked up your trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

The drains in your trailer will all have traps that will be full all the time. This stops the sewer smell from entering the trailer from the sewer tanks. It is important to pour antifreeze in all the traps when you winterize to avoid these pipes from freezing. Everything that you have mentioned is normal, everything appears to be working correctly.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #5

Thank you for all the advice. I tried to write earlier, but it did not go through.

Our Roo is brand new. The water in the shower is only in the drain. We did not empty the gray or black tanks as they were not full enough according the manual. We did empty the fresh water. For the traps in the shower (total newbie question), will they drain themselves if we use the shower or do I have to do something for the drain to work? ie...pull something out, twist or turn something...

For our PDI, our tech was nice, but not as knowledgable as I would have liked. I was very glad that I had the PDI checklist from this forum, but sometimes you don't know what you are looking at/for. There were some issues with putty/caulking that I was told were more cosmetic issues and not going to impact function. When I asked about the water filter and how to change it, the tech had to ask someone else where it was. Thus, I know there will be a lot that we will need to continue researching in the manuals and on this site to make sure we are doing all the right maintenance.

I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and advice. It is so much more valuable than a manual. We are looking forward to a great camping season (s) with the Roo.

Thank you again,
Kimberli
kimberlij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #6

The water in the drain traps is supposed to be there---just like all of your drains at home. If the trap was dry, you would have odors coming back up through the drains. You do not need to purge the water from the drains until its time to winterize. If you try and purge the traps, you will have a noticeable odor next time you enter your trailer. As for the top lights you were asking about, they will only be on when the tow vehicle's parking or headlights are on. They do not indicate turning or braking.
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #7

Kimberli:

Open the cabinet under the sink in your house kitchen. You'll see an "S" shaped pipe coming down from the sink drain. When you run water in the sink, it fills the "S" and overflows into the rest of the piping that goes either into the wall or through the floor. When the sink is done draining, a small amount of water always remains in the bottom of the "S." This keeps sewer gas come coming up through the drain. This "S" is called the trap. There is one of these below the shower drain in your house, too. In your camper, there isn't a lot of space below the shower, so the trap is so close to the bottom of the shower stall that you can look in and see the water that is trapped there. It is "Normal."
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #8

Congrats ~ wishing you many happy trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlij View Post
Our Roo is brand new. The water in the shower is only in the drain. We did not empty the gray or black tanks as they were not full enough according the manual. We did empty the fresh water.
Hmmm, maybe I'm about to learn something......

When we complete a camping trip, we always empty the black tank (especially). I use at least 2 gals of fresh water and a toilet thingy which a) helps clean tank as we travel and b) provides enough water to dilute waste so that it dumps cleanly next time. We are occasional campers, and have not done any dry camping, so we made a decision that the camper toilet is a tinkle toilet only. This does help with maintaining a clean tank. After dumping the black, you dump the gray which cleans your drain hose nicely. I was not aware that there had to be a certain amount in the tank to dump it. We usually have a full gray after showers and dishes so it hasn't been a question ~ before now......

We also don't empty the fresh water, but then, we don't drink the fresh water. It's nice to have when you are tidying up or getting ready for the next trip but hmmm.... now you're making me think about stuff I've never really thought of.....

Tags
roo 233s, shower