Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Bunk End Latch Question

We were supposed to take delivery on our Roo 233S today but too many issues to discuss and they are still working to get the camper ready.

We went through a half baked PDI. One of the items that did not look right is the bunk end latches. It appears the latches were just barely hanging on to the beds.

Are the latches adjustable? Is it normal to just barely hang on to the bunk end? Tried to attach pic for reference.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160308_175130.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	101431  
rootree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

I'm not sure if it's correct, but it looks exactly the same as ours.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCAMPER View Post
I'm not sure if it's correct, but it looks exactly the same as ours.

Same as mine

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #4

Same here, and I saw some Roos at a dealer this past week end, and there all the same !!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootree View Post
We were supposed to take delivery on our Roo 233S today but too many issues to discuss and they are still working to get the camper ready.

We went through a half baked PDI. One of the items that did not look right is the bunk end latches. It appears the latches were just barely hanging on to the beds.

Are the latches adjustable? Is it normal to just barely hang on to the bunk end? Tried to attach pic for reference.

Thanks in advance!

It looks like that's the only way they can be mounted as if the round bar mounted to door is much higher it will hit the triangle that is part of the latch. You could always send your picture to these guys and ask the question. Personally I'd like to see the install instructions for those latches if they exist.
Innovation |
Baggage Locks & Strikes |

Rootree, I for one am with you on the having to cancel a delivery. Its a long story going back almost 6 months but we ordered a unit, never even got as far as a "formal" PDI, and after much BS had to reject that particular one and reorder. I hope your issues are solvable at the dealer level, hopefully no parts need to be ordered. Don't let it get you down (which is tough) and do not take it until YOUR satisfied. Good luck.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

Rootree,
Our 2008 Shamrock had the old style latches which seemed more substantial. The new style are much easier to use, but threw us at first as looking "just barely hanging on" as you mentioned. When we were closing up after every trip last year DW would look at the latches and ask, "does that look right to you?" Kind of hoping she now has that out of her system(LOL).
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

Thanks for each of your input on the bunk latches. Sounds like this is normal.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Same here..

2016 233s, 2010 Tundra 5.7L
rfd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
We have the same thing on our 2015 IKSS but if you watch the geometry as the latch closes you can see that the rest of the latch acts like a wedge and that part where it finally rests is actually the part that is closest to the door when fully closed. I assume this is to hold the tightest seal.

I used to think that adjustable would be better but there is a lot of discussion in the past about people compressing the seals too much thinking that the tighter the better and distorting them which actually causes worse leaking.

Good luck with the rest of your issues. As others have said, don't accept it till you are happy.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #10

We had those latches on our Roo for 3 years without an issue.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Latches

We have the same on our Roo 233s not happy with them as it seems not to be tight enough, and we did find a leak in the center as there was not enough pressure to seal the bunk all the way around having it looked at as soon as i get the cover off.

2015 Rockwood Roo 233s
2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
squbadoo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #12

I know mine are like yours and it freaked me out at first too. I have never had one come open and they seal great. While I would prefer it was the old style latch, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #13

Thanks,

I am feeling better now that I know my initial response was not unique! Suppose there must be a 10 step program to recover from my latch fear.

On to the next opportunity ....
Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #14

What were the other issues that kept you from bringing it home?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #15

Well it was a long story, we ended up being at the dealer for 4 hours before we finally left without the Roo 233S

It started with the sales person stating she had bad news. Our camper was just damaged. The rain storm here in the Houston area blew a ladder into the camper and made a 3 inch gash in the camper (lower side wall).

We then explored our option of getting another new camper or keeping with the camper/colors we chose. We essentially negotiated some additional consideration and dealer committed to properly repairing the gash on the existing camper.

With that we went ahead with our delivery walk through of the camper. The camper clearly had not been through a PDI process, no water onboard, no propane, not city water connection. The refrigerator did not seem to be cooling (freezer was), they could not get the water pump system working, water filter was not installed, etc. The walk through was less than half baked given the current condition of the camper.

My wife and I both sent emails to the sales team and GM of the dealer. The GM just called us this evening and assured us this was a top priority in making things right for us and trying for real delivery on Friday.

I has just been exceptionally stressful process to go through and we are hopeful things will work out.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #16

I feel for you! I went through a similar ordeal with a previous camper and it is awful when a day that should be full of excitement turns upside down.

To this day I place a priority on finding a dealer I can feel really good about over saving a few bucks. Unfortunately that can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I am confident Friday will be great!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #17

Yes, that is a tough one there, I never monitored my fridge, on this camper or the last, i just always turned it on the day before, as a rule of thumb if the freezer works the fridge usually does, but make sure it all works before you take it, I had to hook a fresh water hose to my Shamrock before the pump would work right, they never hooked it up before I brought it home.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes on Friday, hope you will be very happy after you bring it home.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #18

Good luck and best wishes, rough ordeal to go thru

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #19

Quote:

We then explored our option of getting another new camper or keeping with the camper/colors we chose. We essentially negotiated some additional consideration and dealer committed to properly repairing the gash on the existing camper.
First of all good luck, now I'll be the bad guy and possibly contribute to the stress of the situation.

I personally would be leery of a dealer saying they can repair a 3" gash in a fiberglass laminated trailer. Compensation is one thing but in my experience there are two ways to fix fiberglass damage on these things. The first is for it to be sent back to the factory. The second is for the dealer to have or have access to a really good fiberglass guy. Its not like fixing a dent in a car. Its thin fiberglass, foam, luan plywood. I have yet to see a repair that does not look like a repair. Not saying it can't be done but I have never seen it done without it being noticeable and I have seen a fair share of attempts at it.

In the least I would get a detailed method of repair the dealer intends to use, and then I would call/email/discuss that with one of the service reps listed on the Rockwood website. The problem I see is the dealer admitted they damaged it so its not a manufacturer/warranty repair. If you have an issue in the future in that area from delamination or something else, you could have a warranty problem with Rockwood.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk