Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #21

Wicked1,
Being a long time tent camper I fully understand that routine, but I wonder the line of thought about the seasoning instead of sealing it from the factory?
Why they simply don't apply the seam sealer ???

R
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #22

Not sure this is my first Hybrid and I went from Tents to a Shasta TT then to this Roo. I am very meticulous, I still have tools from when I was 8 my grandfather always said the more you take care of something the longer in general it will last with fewer issues.

I check everything before every trip and when I get back, also always looking when I am camping and so far no issues.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Wicked1,
Being a long time tent camper I fully understand that routine, but I wonder the line of thought about the seasoning instead of sealing it from the factory?
Why they simply don't apply the seam sealer ???

R
The expanding/swelling thread works, and will not leak. I have had two other hybrids and never had so much as a drop of water come through the stitching. Most of the time its already seasoned when the dealer puts it out on the lot and leaves it open until it sells. If you ordered the unit then you'll need to do it yourself. They do not have, or will not spend, the time to do the seasoning at the factory. It would take longer to do the seasoning than to build and ship the unit. Give the thread the chance to do its job. Once you put seam sealer on you'll need to do it every year or two.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The expanding/swelling thread works, and will not leak. I have had two other hybrids and never had so much as a drop of water come through the stitching. Most of the time its already seasoned when the dealer puts it out on the lot and leaves it open until it sells. If you ordered the unit then you'll need to do it yourself. They do not have, or will not spend, the time to do the seasoning at the factory. It would take longer to do the seasoning than to build and ship the unit. Give the thread the chance to do its job. Once you put seam sealer on you'll need to do it every year or two.

Been lucky with mine all the care and precaution I take have not had any leaks, hope this continues for a few years as this is only my second season with my Roo
Old 03-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #25

Bunk end seasoning/maintenance products.

Update: I sprayed my 3 tent ends this past Saturday- 3 times over 3 hours and no leaks! Today we had heavy rain all day and checked in on it- no leaks.

I'll make sure I use a conditioner on the ends and slide seals frequently to maintain.

Rich in Massachusetts
2016 Roo 233S
2013 Ford Explorer XLT

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RichDesiletsJr233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #26

I love it when a plan comes together!!!
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post