Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

bunk leaked during hurricane

Last night we were camping in Mass during hurricane Arthur. I folded up the bunk ends before the rain came. This morning there was about a 1/4 cup of water in each end on the fabric. It looks like the top center of each door is where the water came in from. I think with the new plastic latches, the middle doesn't get too much sealing pressure. I am thinking that an L shaped corner molding with one leg glued to the top of the door and the other horizontal leg covering over the rubber top seam would prevent water from entering between the rubber and the top of door frame. There's a drain trough there and that would still function, but no cover over the rubber to door seam. What do you think?
kjbpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
2014 233s Rockwood Roo

I think that's pretty awesome only a cup got in during a hurricane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
WFDEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Site Team

yeah, i don't think any canvas-equipped trailer, popup or hybrid, is supposed to keep all the rain out, during a hurricane!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #4

We live in MA and were home during the hurricane. I opted to leave the ends open in the backyard with fingers crossed. Not a drop came in! I def think my problem is when it is folded up it leaks, it hasn't leaked while open for almost a month now.

Where did you stay??
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Right. I don't think it would leak if open, but it looks like the water seeped through the fabric and down onto the wood inside and the mattress was wet.if the closed ends have some form of cover over the rubber edge there would be no leak. I'm going to try the L shaped angle and see how it goes.
kjbpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
kpm

Mine does the same thing. If the bunks are open there is no water leakage at all. When the bunk doors are closed, the water penetrates that seal and puddles on the canvass. Prior to the first repair attempt, it was so bad that it came inside the trailer (Unacceptable). Now it's just puddling on the canvass. I have another repair appointment set up. I would expect the seal to perform in a manner to keep water out. As you pointed out, a gutter or rain deflector is needed to assist that rubber seal. Would be cool if the door was designed in a way that it was recessed and protected with a gutter. Not sure just thinking out loud. I put a makeshift rain deflector as a temporary measure to keep water out. Guess what. My $3.00 temporary mod kept the water out when it rained. Being that it is a new camper, I'll let the dealer fix it right.

I am expecting them to replace my seal on the next service visit. It was installed in a way that a perfect seal is not achieved. There are gaps that will allow moisture/rain to pass through.

I think my situation will be relatively easy to fix. The rear bunk is perfect. I just need to work through this small problem.

Still enjoying the camper. We are headed out tomorrow for a three day trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right front corner seal side 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	57396   Click image for larger version

Name:	right front seal door open.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	57397   Click image for larger version

Name:	rain deflector.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	57398   Click image for larger version

Name:	deflector.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	57399  
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #7

We had the same issue and sent them pictures. The dealer ordered new seals for all 3 doors and replaced the haven't had a leak since
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak