Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It came from the factory with one. Unless a previous owner removed it.
I found it. I was being a bit of a dufus. I was looking at the picture and didn't realize it is connected directly to the water pump! I was looking other places on the line. Duh, it's right there on the inlet side of the pump, which makes total sense. Turning brain back on now!

Thanks
TST Tire Monitor Tow/Trailer
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #42

I have a 2017 21ss and the filter started leaking this week. I was looking at the filter you installed which looks like a good alternative to the OEM filter. In looking at the filter and the photo you have it looks like there is no way to attach it yet in your second photo it looks like it is attacked. I have a question, how is the filter top attacked?

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I have a 2017 21ss and the filter started leaking this week. I was looking at the filter you installed which looks like a good alternative to the OEM filter. In looking at the filter and the photo you have it looks like there is no way to attach it yet in your second photo it looks like it is attacked. I have a question, how is the filter top attacked?
If you are referring to my post I attached it with the screws that were used on the original. The GE filter has a bracket similar to the the FR filter.

Take the FR one out first and bring the elbows that connected it to the pex line with you to the to the hardware store. You will need a couple of fittings in addition to the filter.

Many connect with shark bite connectors but they are pricey IMO. For $20 I bought the correct crimper on Amazon which came with a bag of assorted fittings. Now I have the crimper and a bag of fittings for anything else I might want to do.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #44

Thanks for the reply. I removed the filter from the wall and after looking at it I was wondering if you knew how to get the crimp rings off without damaging the pex, that is provided that they can be removed. I have worked with all kinds of plumbing but never had the opportunity to work with pex until now.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I removed the filter from the wall and after looking at it I was wondering if you knew how to get the crimp rings off without damaging the pex, that is provided that they can be removed. I have worked with all kinds of plumbing but never had the opportunity to work with pex until now.
The ring fitting is pretty stout. Stainless steel I think. I use a pair dykes (diagonal cutters) to roll back the locking tab. Once you do that they can be unwound enough to slide right off after you get the angle fitting off.

I have read where others have used a dreamed to cut them off.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #46

Quote:
People will tell you not to, but:

I unscrewed on fitting, letting it rotate in the Pex. Then you can rotate the filter to unscrew the other fitting. Put in a 1/2" coupler the same way.

If you have 90 degree fittings, this won't work.

People say the fitting will leak if you do this, but mine's been good for 4 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	half inch DURA coupling.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	208043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter replacement coupling.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	208045  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #47

Thanks to both of you, now I have a good idea how to go about this. I have a straight fitting on one side and an angled on the other. It looks like I can take off the straight fitting and then rotate the housing to get the other end free. Then either install the GE filter or use a ½ inch coupler and be done with it.

Tags
233, 233s, bypass, roo, water, water filter