Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #1

Cabinet Storage

Hello all, I just registered on this forum and am looking forward to meeting everyone! We are about to upgrade (tomorrow) from our 2014 Jayco Jayfeather x23b expandable to a Flagstaff Shamrock 233s expandable. The one last thing we have left of concern is the cabinet and drawer space.
Has anyone who has a 233s felt that the cabinetry is limited or had any issues, especially in the kitchen? Or, has it all worked out well for everyone? (Maybe we just have too much stuff in our old one, LOL!)
Thanks very much,
Chris
Hill Country River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Welcome to the forum. Lots of help available here.

However, you’d be better off to post specific questions under the Flagstaff heading under trailers for answers to cabinet storage.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #3

Thanks

Thank you very much!
Old 02-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #4

That 3d bed eats a lot if space compared to the normal 2-bed version. It's a trade-off.

Many floor level cabinets in our Roo 23SS had modesty partitions that cut their capacity significantly. Take a look in those and see what you can free up.

-- Chuck
Old 02-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #5

Welcome, you will love the 233S. We had ours for several years and just upgraded. But the pantry worked well for storage not just food. We used the top and bottom shelf for misc items like paper towels, a small crock pot and extra plastic food storage containers. I put a shelf above the sink storage with the command hangers so we can split items up. There is only one drawer but we didn't use that for silverware as we used a caddy since we eat mostly outside. Under the table there is one drawer we put the bunk fans and stuff in but on the other side is where we kept items like the skillet. There is also space under the side bed. We thought there was plenty of storage space it just needs to be organized. To note the more storage you have the more useless stuff you will bring.
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:20 PM   #6

Thank you

Thank you very much! Great ideas, we were thinking maybe a command paper towel holder with shelf above it for spices. I love the utensil caddy idea too, thanks. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me more about it and giving us ideas. Our kids are bigger and we sometimes bring our parents, so the third expandable bed will really help with sleeping space. Hahahah, my wife and I both laughed at your truth about "the more storage space, the more useless stuff we'll bring", hahahahaha! We saw first hand as we unloaded things from the old camper this evening!
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 02-06-2021, 03:05 AM   #7

as was mentioned many cabinet spaces were cut-down for the sake of making the interior of the cabinet look nice... you can almost double space by removing these partitions...

I added additional space by adding another baggage door to the right rear area of the camper to allow access to that unused space...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...oo-120013.html

I have bought another baggage door and will be adding it to the front left side to give pass-thru access to the front area... just waiting now for nicer weather.

I created a sliding shelf, that just slides on carpet on the floor under the dinette for items to sit during travel. I can easily pull out the shelf and grab the items then push it back. We really do not use the dinette at all and it is basically made into a bed/storage with the undertable area used for storage.

I have the 3 bunk 183 model with no slides.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #8

I've had extra outside hatches on my to-do list for 15 years. And side windows in the slide. Both excellent modifications but as the saying "life is what happens when you're making other plans."

A few personal tweaks and the 233 will be a super family camper. Guests -- and those not living at home! -- should being their own sleeping bags as bedding takes a gigantic amount of storage space and no one wants or should have to make beds every morning. King size waterproof sheets topped by flannel fitted sheets (probably on sale at Target) over all the mattresses will keep everything fresh and clean -- plus the dog hair washes right off (can't camp without dogs).

-- Chuck
Old 02-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #9

Thanks to all

Thank you all very much. Oh yes, the John Lennon quote from the Double Fantasy album!
We pick up the 233s Saturday (with a final bit of negotiating). Can't wait to get it ready for the first trip. I love so many of the upgrades from our x23b: battery kill switch, detachable electric cord, spare tire mounted in the rear, incorporated heated mattress as opposed to separate pads which took up so much space, etc.
Oh yes, taking the dogs for sure! Thanks for the mattress cover tips to help with that!
Chris

2021 Flagstaff Shamrock 233s
2014 JayFeather X23b
2008 Fleetwood Bayside
2007 Fleetwood Niagara
Old 02-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #10

Thank you

Thank you all again very much for your suggestions. Our pick up was delayed a week due to our Texas winter weather. But, we have it now and are putting things in. We have plenty of space, and I love that I have actually eliminated some unnecessary items we were carrying in the old one.
Not sure we can mount the towel bar they included due to the thin walls; I don't even think molly screws will hold it. But, we have one of those over-the-door things that has 3 towel hooks that will work fine.
It looks great in front of our house! Can't wait to take it out on our first trip.
Thanks again.

2021 Flagstaff Shamrock 233s
2014 JayFeather X23b
2008 Fleetwood Bayside
2007 Fleetwood Niagara
Old 02-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #11

Mounted 4 towel bars in the little bathroom of out Roo 23SS. Been so long I no longer recall how but they've been there for 15 years. Walls may be thin but they're not paper -- and no one is doing chin-ups on the bars. 3 of the 4 are on inside walls with 1 on the outside. Just watch the screw length.

No way an over- or on-the-door bar would be permitted here.

-- Chuck
Old 02-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

While we are awaiting our 233S, the lack of storage is something the boss brought up. Our current hybrid, a Trail Lite 23S has a ton of storage and I agree with the statement of less storage = less crap.

In the 10 years we’ve owned our current trailer, there has never been a moment where we wished we had a microwave. I plan on removing the one in our new trailer and replacing it with cabinet doors. Our dealer has already order us two new, matching doors. Should free up some good room. I will also add a partition to protect the wires coming out of the control panel.

Should make the boss happy!
Duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #13

We consider the microwave essential at home and in the camper and would give up cabinet space if needed. Bought one for our popup years ago. All depends on camping styles.

We routinely arrive after dark and commonly in the rain. Burritos or other microwave late dinner is easy as is popcorn.

The oven, on the other hand would make an excellent cabinet.

-- Chuck
Old 02-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
We consider the microwave essential at home and in the camper and would give up cabinet space if needed. Bought one for our popup years ago. All depends on camping styles.

We routinely arrive after dark and commonly in the rain. Burritos or other microwave late dinner is easy as is popcorn.

The oven, on the other hand would make an excellent cabinet.

-- Chuck
You're right, totally depends on camping style. My wife loves to cook and we use the heck out of the stove and oven, but never had the need for a microwave. We mainly boondock/dry camp and have only stayed at a full-hook up camp ground twice in 10 years! We do have a generator but only to watch movies when its raining or to charge up the batteries. To each is own; the best part about camping!
Duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #15

Couldn't have written it better.

One of my great fears is my wife will eventually retire and start to enjoy cooking. We don't camp to camp, we use the camper as our cottage on trips around the area normally limiting our drive to one day with a couple of days on site. Getting spoiled by full service sites. We tour during the day and return to the camper at night. The outside grill that I thought I'd never use and would not have ordered (but it was included) handles most dinners, the stove most breakfasts, and lunch is typically out in the area. When I spot the camper for her and her buddies the oven does get used -- but not by her!

-- Chuck

Tags
storage