Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #41

While we are still new to this lifestyle, I would hope that the person would come to me before the camp staff as sometimes mistakes can happen (with lights anyway, maybe not with noise).

On our last trip out we were enjoying the evening under the awning with our full LED light strip on. I went inside first, and asked my DW to turn off the awning light on her way in, then off to sleep we went. When I went out in the morning to walk the dogs, I noticed the awning strip was still on! I asked what happened, and my DW said "I turned off the one that was lit up." As it turns out she turned off the switch for the electric water heater switch, so we not only had the awning light on all night, but we had no hot water when we woke up (I don't use the propane when we are plugged in).

We could not see our awning light inside our unit with the blackout blinds, and while our closest neighbor was 50' away, I still felt bad about possibly disturbing them (we exchanged greetings several times but never really talked). Nothing was mentioned, and we didn't do it the next night, but lesson learned!

I guess it would depend on the situation, but my three step process would be to ignore it if possible, then ask the offender personally, and then finally ask the staff to assist. If none of these work I will open another bottle of wine and channel my inner George Costanza...Serenity Now!!!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #42

Agree with 90% of above comments. We've been Camping/RVing for nearly 45 years, and we have seen some behaviors that required us to call the local police. I suspect the culprits in the original post were simply unaware that their external lights were on and were bothering their neighbors. I am never shy about asking politely that a neighbor turn off lights, or turn down radios or other music systems, or hold down their rauckus behavior around a camp fire late into the night. I usually approach with my two vicious, 5-pound Chihuahuas as security backup in case anyone decides to get "physical".
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Simply

Camp in the forest where I don't see my Neighbour at all!! Thats what we do 85% of the time!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #44

I have forgotten the outside light on occasion but have been asked to turn it off only once in 28 years of this lifestyle. I am in the do not disturb the neighbors crowd and would prefer a fellow camper to ask me to turn off my light than be annoyed by it. We have no outside music or TV because, why would we expect our neighbors to enjoy what we play? I think there are far more campers who hope to enjoy peace and quiet than to listen to me blasting Alice in Chains on the stereo!

Good discussion everyone!

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #45

For lighting, it's a matter of degree. I certainly don't mind the typical RV "porch" light. But one of those Coleman gas lanterns really can put out piercing light; I'd be saying on that.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #46

I don't "camp in the forest", but I do like to be able to view the night sky while camping. Many times excessive lights of other campers make this impossible. Camping as a single woman, I'd be very wary of approaching others to turn down their lights. But seriously folks, do you need bright LED lights on under your camper ALL night? (Yeah, I know it might keep critters away, but you are camping! There are critters!) Or really bright lights in 5 gallon construction pails? I would be happy if folks just used their good neighbor manners and those excessive lights were turned off when quiet time begins in the campground.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
But what I don't get, is why someone goes to a state or national park campground, full of Nature's wonders and beauty, and proceeds to setup a tv theater room under the awning.
Or turns on the outside speakers and force neighbors to listen to his music or NASCAR race.
x2

Spoiled children that never grew up.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #48
KAS

Quote:
I love my classic Rock music.
But I choose to be a good neighbor by using wireless headphones.
That way I can crank it up til my ears bleed and not disturb anyone else.

Agree that there are different ways and styles of camping.
But what I don't get, is why someone goes to a state or national park campground, full of Nature's wonders and beauty, and proceeds to setup a tv theater room under the awning.
Or turns on the outside speakers and force neighbors to listen to his music or NASCAR race.
I agree totally! If someone doesn't want to wear earphones and can't do without their music, TV etc. blasting, why not just stay home or at least keep it inside the camper? Most campers want to get away from it all and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature, but the selfish and inconsiderate few ruin that experience. Obviously their parents didn't raise them right, but it's never too late to learn consideration for others.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #49
larryandamy

TV while camping

Wow.. This subject sure got a lot of responses!
Campground etiquette is important and impacts all of us.

I see a lot of discussion on people using TV's while camping with some saying they don't understand why people would go out to beautiful places and then sit in their trailer and watch TV.

There is no right or wrong on this...

Each person does what they like to do and we shouldn't judge people for being different from us.
I have a TV in our trailer that has never been on for TV yet and probably never will be.
A few times we put on a DVD movie for the grand kids, but only when they got restless during bad weather periods.
When I am camping I like to do things that I can't do at home and my DVR records everything at home, so I don't miss the few shows I watch.

But if someone wants to go to a beautiful place and sit in their camp and watch TV, then that is their choice and I have no problem with it as long as they do not disturb other campers.
If they do disturb others, then the other campers should politely ask them to turn it down and it is then their response that I will judge them by.

Viva la difference!
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrapidron View Post
I leave my yellow light on all night so I can watch my truck,I am on my second trailer and no ones lights have ever bothered me. No one has ever said anything about it either.
You watch your truck all night?
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #51

Quote:
I leave my yellow light on all night so I can watch my truck,I am on my second trailer and no ones lights have ever bothered me. No one has ever said anything about it either.
What kind of things does your truck do to make you want to watch it?

Bruce
Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #52

Quote:

When do you sleep?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
I agree totally! If someone doesn't want to wear earphones and can't do without their music, TV etc. blasting, why not just stay home or at least keep it inside the camper? Most campers want to get away from it all and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature, but the selfish and inconsiderate few ruin that experience. Obviously their parents didn't raise them right, but it's never too late to learn consideration for others.
Then there are the people who have the little dogs that YIP constantly. Worse than TV, Radio, or what have you. Somehow they get a free pass from all. No peace and quiet of nature there.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #54

Quote:

You need to camp in safer places if you have to watch your truck all night
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #55
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
What kind of things does your truck do to make you want to watch it?

Bruce
You beat me too it!!

Maybe it goes and "visits" other trucks in the night!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #56
Land of the Midnightsun

Easy fix. Sling shot. We all carried one in our hip pocket when young. Give me hand full of uncooked brown beans and I can fix a yappy dog , bright light or noisy tv. With out getting up from my chair or interrupting my wife's great conversation
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

When we go to bed, the led lights are dimmed and being mounted under the attaching rail on the trailer, they only light up the area under the awning. They are on a dusk to dawn switch, which we never turn off. Never had anyone say a word about them.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #58

I leave the trailer running lights on at night. Just barely enough light to use if I decide to walk or sit outside after dark. Not enough light to bother anyone more than ten feet away.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #59

Around here, folks have strings of lights like it's Christmas at many campsites. I wouldn't dream of asking them to tone them down. That's what shades are for.

Music, especially Thumpa Thumpa, is another story entirely. Noise pollution.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #60

Quote:
I love my classic Rock music.
But I choose to be a good neighbor by using wireless headphones.
That way I can crank it up til my ears bleed and not disturb anyone else.

Agree that there are different ways and styles of camping.
Maybe he doesn't know his outside speakers are on.

I didn't know the outside ones come on every time you turn on your radio until I read it here on the forum.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg