Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #61
Lets go camping!

i run mine on low and keep the fan on the entire time. that way air is always circulating.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:09 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
With regards to no restriction of air flow - If you have ceiling vents, you need to make sure that the passageway from the AC's cold air plenum to the ducts through the ceiling are fully open. They have to cut these duct themselves during manufacture and if they don't make them large enough, you don't get enough air flow. You have to either drop the inside grille, or go on the roof, remove the AC cover, then remove the metal cover of the plenum.

Here's a pic of the plenum cover:

Attachment 228136

Here are some pics of mine that I had to make larger. The pics looking down the ceiling duct, taken from one of the ceiling registers.

This pic is before I reamed out the passageway. I went with removing the AC cover and the metal duct cover. The light area on the right is the passageway from the duct to the cold air plenum.

Attachment 228132

This pic is after opening the passageway. You can see the foam I cut out lying on the floor of the duct and the light through the passage way is brighter.

Attachment 228133
Thanks. I cleaned out the unit the other day and checked the openings going from the AC to the ceiling as well as the separation between the return and the vents. That was all fine. I will have to inspect the vents themselves tomorrow with my boroscope.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #63

Hey guys I’m new here but I just read this today that might help shed a little bit of insight. This came directly from the quick reference guide from Forest river.

This just is in regards to high humidity and AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BAD8618-E70C-434C-9C10-F57CE49B91AF.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	228295  
Ericp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I am still amazed that people choose to live in some of the most inhospitable environments in the country! Blazing hot southwest, oppressively humid deep south (served my time down there, love the people, hate sweating all the time!) or bitter cold Minnesota for example.

I am stuck in NJ till wife retires. NJ has it's own horrors, but not usually climate horrors. If it were not for my family and friends, I would move in a heartbeat.
I moved from Florida to New Jersey when I was a teenager. Hottest summer I’ve ever had! I’ll take an air conditioned house in Florida over a non-air conditioned house in New Jersey any day!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #65
Trailer Park Supervisor

Gator, we can get Florida hot, but usually only when Florida sends it's hellish heat up our way! It just followed you!. Before I joined the service and moved south, we had no A/C, and my sisters and I would fight over who gets the one fan in the house. Then when I lived in Florida, the cars I had did not have A/C option. The one car was a convertible Triumph Spitfire. From all the time in the sun, when I would go home on leave in the winter, I looked like I was adopted in the Christmas pics.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlasota View Post
We have a Cedar Creek 5th Wheel. During air conditioning season I remove the return heat grill and fill that area with 2 “ foam insulation. Than replace the grill. I noticed (since cold air tends to fall) that a portion of our cool air was going into that return and in turn cooling the underbelly. Don’t need cooling in the underbelly. It made a significant difference in compressor run times. Just need to remember to remove the insulation prior to firing up the propane heater.
So how are you attaching/ keeping in place the insulation in the return?
StarCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #67

In a hybrid it is going to be a challenge.
Try low all the time.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #68

Maybe this, instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCamper View Post
So how are you attaching/ keeping in place the insulation in the return?
How about just removing the grille and wrapping it with a scrap of 10 mil construction vinyl, tucking the vinyl around the back, maybe using a little masking tape to keep it in place? Then remount the grille, piercing the vinyl with the four mounting screws.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #69

Boondocking in hot weather in a hybrid is why I sold mine.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping