Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I figured it was about time for this thread to go south enough to close it out!
Yep, there's always one who spoils it for everybody
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Not necessarily. If you're preparing food in your rig, then you've got a lot of raw food particles and liquids. Soda, beer, etc also end up down the sink.
They don't go down my sink. Everything is scraped into compost bags for recycling. Both sinks have strainers to catch anything stray. I don't like stuff smelling up my grey tanks. A few coffee grounds might possibly get by, but doubtful. We don't drink soda or beer so that doesn't get in there either.

Funny thing is, the last state park (Ohio) we were in had those dishwashing pedestals scattered around the loops. After taking two buckets of grey water to the pedestal one morning, I was hiking. The drain pipe from the pedestals on our loop went under the road and dumped out into the woods, just downhill from me. It was probably a 150 ft walk to the pedestal. Where it drained down the hill in the woods was about 50 feet away. Made me laugh!

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #83

Quote:
Not necessarily. If you're preparing food in your rig, then you've got a lot of raw food particles and liquids. Soda, beer, etc also end up down the sink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
They don't go down my sink. Everything is scraped into compost bags for recycling. Both sinks have strainers to catch anything stray. I don't like stuff smelling up my grey tanks. A few coffee grounds might possibly get by, but doubtful. We don't drink soda or beer so that doesn't get in there either.

Funny thing is, the last state park (Ohio) we were in had those dishwashing pedestals scattered around the loops. After taking two buckets of grey water to the pedestal one morning, I was hiking. The drain pipe from the pedestals on our loop went under the road and dumped out into the woods, just downhill from me. It was probably a 150 ft walk to the pedestal. Where it drained down the hill in the woods was about 50 feet away. Made me laugh!
And you think everyone else does what you do?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #84

Quote:
Yeah, but that's "natural." Ask any enviro and they'll tell you "natural" is OK. It's only human things that are taboo.

Seriously, goose crap is a big deal in the retaining ponds at the big office buildings around Chicago. When you have hundreds of geese crapping all day, every day, it becomes an issue.

https://nypost.com/2016/09/30/americ...da-goose-poop/
Canadian Geese have contributed to many of our swim areas in Arkansas to be closed for various periods of time due to e-coli contamination. They poop everywhere along the shore and then rain washes it into the water.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:30 PM   #85

The Canadian goose should be listed as fair game all year long.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #86

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Lots of great ideas to make it work.

Beauty of it is you can use many depending on the situation you are in.

Camp On folks!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #87

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. Sorry but I’m not super active on here so didn’t even realize there were so many replies. That took awhile to get through. I really did not want to get a tote, and I will definitely not be getting one now. I will be conserving water, using the campground facilities whenever possible. Their showers aren’t the nicest, but they also aren’t the worst I’ve seen. We’ll be there for 5 days and it is my wife and I and 2 kids. Many people said this, which I knew but didn’t specify - I’m not worried about the black tank. That won’t fill nearly as fast as grey. We will wash dishes outside(we have outside shower and 2 collapsible dish washing bins) so that will help. I’m not worried about it anymore. It will be good opportunity to teach the kids about conservation. Even if we shower in the camper, usually I just turn it on, get wet, turn it off. Then soap up and clean up and turn the water back on to rinse off. Then done. Not much water needs to be used. Plus I don’t have to wait for water to heat up - cold showers all the way. Look it up, lots of health benefits to it. But I digress. Don’t want to get off topic like all the geese posts. Thanks all! Looking forward to our trip in a couple weeks.

2022 Rockwood Roo 233S
2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ Max Tow Package
Ranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #88

Another water saver is to use the "no shower bath wipes".

Come in re-sealable packs with multiple wipes. Used for bed-ridden hospital patients, etc, and if warmed in microwave are pleasant to use. A good way to extend time between showers.

Can be burned in the campfire so no disposal issue.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #89

Modaholic - Our RV has a shower with hot and cold water faucets. Our shower head is equipped with a shut-off valve. I turn on the hot and then the cold and adjust until I reach a blend of temperatures at or near "perfection". I then shower for a few minutes, turn off the flow at the shower head, soap up, then turn back on the flow to rinse. I did the same during my tours of duty in South Vietnam, but in those days the showers were few and far between, and the water was considered, at best, "brackish".
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #90
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Another water saver is to use the "no shower bath wipes"...{snip}
X2

Used these for a couple of weeks after major surgery and they work very well. Look for the xtra large size, although most are fairly large to begin with. Wish we had thought of the microwave idea back then!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranks View Post
Wow. Thanks for the feedback. Sorry but I’m not super active on here so didn’t even realize there were so many replies. That took awhile to get through. I really did not want to get a tote, and I will definitely not be getting one now. I will be conserving water, using the campground facilities whenever possible. Their showers aren’t the nicest, but they also aren’t the worst I’ve seen. We’ll be there for 5 days and it is my wife and I and 2 kids. Many people said this, which I knew but didn’t specify - I’m not worried about the black tank. That won’t fill nearly as fast as grey. We will wash dishes outside(we have outside shower and 2 collapsible dish washing bins) so that will help. I’m not worried about it anymore. It will be good opportunity to teach the kids about conservation. Even if we shower in the camper, usually I just turn it on, get wet, turn it off. Then soap up and clean up and turn the water back on to rinse off. Then done. Not much water needs to be used. Plus I don’t have to wait for water to heat up - cold showers all the way. Look it up, lots of health benefits to it. But I digress. Don’t want to get off topic like all the geese posts. Thanks all! Looking forward to our trip in a couple weeks.
It is a great opportunity to understand the capabilities of your rig. Don't completely avoid using the facilities in your own rig. Keep track of your daily usage of water and the the levels of your tanks. You might be surprised. Then you will have a better idea for the next trip.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #92

Grey Water

Didn't mention this at first, but most National Parks will allow you to slowly release grey water on trees and plants in the campground. I carry a regular garden hose for this purpose. Ask the Camp Host before doing it.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
Didn't mention this at first, but most National Parks will allow you to slowly release grey water on trees and plants in the campground. I carry a regular garden hose for this purpose. Ask the Camp Host before doing it.
Please list the "most National Park campgrounds" that allow this.
Out of the 20 odd National Park campgrounds I've stayed in, ALL banned this practice.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #94

At this point, I wouldn't "list" the campgrounds for fear the hosts have made their own decisions. I will say that I've done it in northern California and southern Oregon.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
X2

Used these for a couple of weeks after major surgery and they work very well. Look for the xtra large size, although most are fairly large to begin with. Wish we had thought of the microwave idea back then!

When I had my heart surgery my Daughter found that the ones carried in Walmart were inexpensive and they worked great until I could get back in the shower comfortably.

BTW, don't have a generator or microwave on inverter while boondocking?

Put the closed packet in a basin of hot water (weighted down with a heavy mug, etc) and when done heating the wash/wipes use the water to wash dishes, flush toilet, hand washing, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote