Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

canvas coming loose

Hi all, Have a question? We have a 2013 roo 233S and the canvas is coming loose (high winds) from inside frame on all three beds, did this once last year and local dealer crimped it and said he did not know why they did not do this at factory but now alll three are coming loose where the glued canvas tucks into frame. Was wondering if others are having this problem, also wondering why you couldn't wrap glued canvas around thin board similar to yard stick or piece of similar sized aluminum and put it in frame seam and screw it in place to where it would look nice but hold a lot better than just sticking glued canvas in seam? any thoughts would be appreciated. Otherwise wife and I love camper and looking forwards to another summer in mountains.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Retired and ready for Mtns.
Mr.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

similar type problem

I'm kind of having the same problem. My unit is a forest River Surveyor. Where the canvas tent connects to the camper, it has a one inch plastic piece that is spiting in half. I also was wondering if I could pull enough canvas through past the bracket and fold it around a rope or something then tighten the canvas?

Any thoughts

Armand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-25 18.51.04.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	31598  
armandtet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #3

Canvas problems

Sorry to hear your having canvas problems, I think mine are different. Our canvas has a strip several inches wide at the top of canvas on inside of camper. This glued canvas is just not holding and when it comes loose you can see the blue sky or stars or heaven forbid if it is raining it just comes in because there is nothing between the inside camper and outside elements. We have had way too many problems with this 2013 Roo 233s and it has been a real pain trying to get things fixed under warranty. We bought ours at RV Wholesalers in Lakeview Ohio. Mr. Durnell has been great but dealing with his help has been a real pain, it is supposed to be better now. We had awning that would not open or close correctly, refrigerator circuit board went out, kitchen sink faucet that leaked, canvas that came loose, two deepcycle batteries that would not hold a charge and more. Took over a month to get repaired because of trouble with RV Wholesalers and Forest River warranty getting together, terrible experience. Back to your question, I have talked to the RV Dealer (who has been great) in Amarillo, Tx. and this is what we are going to try; If you can imagine a slim long narrow piece of aluminum (like a down scaled yard stick) taking the glued canvas and wrapping it around the aluminum and reinserting it into the groove at roof area (on inside of camper) then putting screws thru the groove, thru the aluminum and canvas and lastly thru the other side of groove. If this doesn't work I don't know what to do. I thought about wrapping canvas around small rope and inserting back in groove but I think the aluminum route is the way we are going to try.
We finally have all our other problems working and besides about thirty something overgrown clothespin type plastic (big) clamps holding all three beds canvas we are very happy with our camper. With the clamps we cannot close our curtains for any privacy and all the comments about how bad it looks for a 2013 model to have all these clamps exposed when inside the camper. You might try RV Net, I have had a lot better response to questions over there. Over here either no response or HAVE PATIENCE AS MR. DURNELL IS A MEMBER OF THIS BOARD AND WILL HELP YOU. Well he has but his support staff at his own business sucks. Any way hope it works out for you. As soon as we get back to Amarillo and hopefully get our canvas problems fixed we are headed back to mountains for summer whatever is left of it.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Just went out for our first trip with the 2013 21SS. I noticed the same problem with our front bunk. The canvas must have came out of that groove on the top in the corner. Has any one come up with a fix yet. Im going to try the warranty to get it fixed but now im worried it will happen again. What a terrible design. That glue doesn't hold for nothing. They have to have a better system like screws or something. We love the camper but this looks like a big problem especially if it rains.
Stang550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #5

I just noticed on our 21ss the previous owner must have run into the same problem.
Top of rear canvas has clear silicone sealant in spots. When I look close, I can see the uselessness of the design. I will pay more attention this weekend when I set up again and try to figure out a better way to crimp the canvas in.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

Name:	image-2443858869.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	33513

I attached a photo I hoped it worked. Did Any one else get warranty work or do it themselves this type of repair?
Stang550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

canvas problems

On mine, it is flat out loose and held in place with about 30 clamps (counting all three beds) it is pure ugly. It goes into shop tomorrow and we are looking for a permanent solution. I could star gaze or fish out of any of the three beds. We love the camper but sure have had a lot of problems. Must have been built Monday morning or late Friday evening If this does not work I think with problems we have had with warranty work etc. we may just give up and go with different style and BRAND!!!
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Old 06-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

Unhappy Canvas coming lose Bunk ends, coming out of track

I really love my Shamrock 21Bd!
But I am having trouble with bunk end canvas coming out of rail or track what ever you want call it on each side of end!
The very first night we stayed in it and woke up side was separated from trailer a good foot and half could see out side though the 5 inch gap!
Took in for warranty work and a month later they had glued it and said they crimp it! Well ok its fix, but did not like design after owning another one before this one! Well next camping trip I notice other side coming out of track, pushed back in with my fingers and have been doing that on every camping trip to keep it from coming completely out! I can not take back in for warranty as to many trips already planned! Trying to figure way to fix my self, which would probably void warranty. But just putting silicone in track and pushing seam back in track and crimping it is not going to hold, poor design.
I ve contacted Forest river and don't seem to be too concern about and says there have not been any problems, all they got to do is go to this site and see were people are using clamps and every thing to fix this issue. I think that may be one reason they don't thank have a problem because people are not taking them in for warranty work!
Any suggestion on how to keep it in track or rail grove, its a 1/4 open track were they push canvas seam in it runging up and down side were canvas attaches to trailer!
Thanks Gar
GarFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarFish View Post
I really love my Shamrock 21Bd!
But I am having trouble with bunk end canvas coming out of rail or track what ever you want call it on each side of end!
The very first night we stayed in it and woke up side was separated from trailer a good foot and half could see out side though the 5 inch gap!
Took in for warranty work and a month later they had glued it and said they crimp it! Well ok its fix, but did not like design after owning another one before this one! Well next camping trip I notice other side coming out of track, pushed back in with my fingers and have been doing that on every camping trip to keep it from coming completely out! I can not take back in for warranty as to many trips already planned! Trying to figure way to fix my self, which would probably void warranty. But just putting silicone in track and pushing seam back in track and crimping it is not going to hold, poor design.
I ve contacted Forest river and don't seem to be too concern about and says there have not been any problems, all they got to do is go to this site and see were people are using clamps and every thing to fix this issue. I think that may be one reason they don't thank have a problem because people are not taking them in for warranty work!
Any suggestion on how to keep it in track or rail grove, its a 1/4 open track were they push canvas seam in it runging up and down side were canvas attaches to trailer!
Thanks Gar
Well it is now June 22, 2016!! The local dealer had no luck dealing with Forest River people, tried fixing it, it didn't work and I took a beating but traded it in. Took advice from some posters on here and dealt with a local dealer who " Will really take care of you" because you bought from them, well went on trip for several months, came back to Amarillo, Tx. and Darin if he hadn't gone out of business. He took my nearly new Roo to Lubbock and ran it thru an auction! That was how our loose canvas was remedied lol. Loved the Roo, just that canvas will not stand up to stress or slight wind, bad bad design. Warranty work on almost any camper is a hassle is what I am learning but like a Visio T V, NOBODY likes dealing with Forest River warranty work. Live and learn. Anyway good luck.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #10

Angry Shamrock 21BD Cavas bunk ends coming out of track

Well still having problems with bunk end seams coming out of side rail grove on front bunk every camping trip I have to push seam back in track every morning as it comes out, had for warranty work, but still does it, I don't have a solution yet and forest river don't care!
Freezer panel fell off door on way home from camping trip! I fixed
Table screws came out of table had to fix before we could use it! I fixed
Draw below oven feel out on floor, had to fix support under stove for it! I fixed
Picture 1 canvas, picture 2 screws on table not screwed in, freezer panel fell off and 4th draw support not secure to floor

Name:	20160221_083125.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	113406

Name:	20160511_074428.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	113407

Name:	20160705_180256.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	113408

Name:	20160707_095224.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	113409
Old 07-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #11

Our 2013 233ss RV Wholesaler/Albany drove from North Carolina, is now doing the same at the corners. I was hoping for help and glad to see your posts. Corners pulled out on 4 beds so that you can stick several fingers thru and wave at others. No high winds just mormal use. The glue on the canvas was still sticky ; did not cure apparently. Plastic little 4 inch white attachments fell off that I guess is part of the seal trim.

We used duct tape at 4 of six corners last week on vacation to prevent misery. Sending pics. Anyone with a solution, even FR reps? Sort of wish I had my 1986 Chesapeak or my 2002 Utah back. Years & no leak problems .... life was simpler.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1469659251886.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	115566   Click image for larger version

Name:	1469659294100.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	115567  
popupdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
Site Team

Popupdaddy,
I'm confused.
You posted RVW but also Albany.

RVDirect is in Albany, NY.
RVW is in Lakeview, Ohio.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #13

I should have said RV Direct in Albany who were very good to work with. Thank you.
popupdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #14

Well Canvas problems still continue and now bunk end mental frame is bowing up in center off wood frame right in center at 1.5 inches high off wood trailer frame! Its back in for warranty! Talk to Forest river said its not a design problem, I think it is! How ever since mine still under warranty they are talking about replacing whole mental frame work for canvas and replacing canvas! If not fix this this time! I going to contact Federal HWY dept , the same place you file vehicle complaint for recalls! Maybe if enough people complain they will resole this issue and maybe do a recall on all warranty or not. I had a recall on another Camper I had a while for water leaks and floor damage company had to put whole new floor in large PopUp, All I had to do is take it back to Factory my self about 4 hr trip one way! I look at a 2017 still same design , and I looked at other bands they all had mental screw downs holding canvas in place, That's what they need to do to theirs ! I still like my 21BD , just mostly canvas problems!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #15

Canvas bunk end and warrenty on shamrock 21DB

Ok folks up date from Last October 2016!
Dealer ship has had my rv since October, I told them I did not need back until March 2016! So in January 2016 I Called just to see what was going on since I had not heard nothing since i drop it off in October 2016! They then informed me that Forest river said there was no problem and was going to refuse to do warranty work , Yes refuse! After much conversation with both ForestRiver and Dealer ship I told them I was going to contact my Attorney, which I had pictures of issues and emails back and forth from Forest river. So as I was gathering information up for attorney, I decide to go to main home page and sent email asking them for there legal dept address! Lord and behold it wasn't 10 min later I got a call from person I was talking to at Forest river, He wasn't very nice but said he was going to authorize complete canvas frame and canvas and door replacement, so one problem solved! Then I had to deal with dealer ship, they communication with me was very poor, They did not order right parts. So I called their service manager and talked to him and hopefully things going alright. I just got call Tuesday Morn March 14th 2016 and Dealer verified Canvas frame had been shipped. So with any luck with in 2 weeks I will have my RV back! I just want to stress to you that I love the rv , but canvas design is very poor. I had Jayco befor never had canvas problem , I also look at older Forest river and canvas design was was much better, some engineer some where decide new design was lighter and cheaper and better, Wrong Wrong Wrong
Happy Camping, I hope!!
See other post regarding Canvas comeing off and out of track on other forest river modles!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #16

Not all model years are same exact design

I wish forum posters would post their year or build date on these types of problems. I have a 2014 Shamrock 183, 3 bunks, build date Sept 2013. Not every year uses the same design of canvas.

I have not had a problem with my canvas after about maybe 8 months of camper use ( two 3 month FL vacations and various weeks here and there) in going on 3 years now.

My outside latch on the front bunk popped a rivet, right top and would not latch securily, but I easily fixed that just today after noticing it last week when closing up before an 850 mi ride home from Port St. Joe, FL.

So often posters leave out details that are important to the discussion. Not all model years are the same exact design.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #17

Angry Posting modle and make and year canvas problems

I thought i had made it clear!
Mine is a 2015 Shamrock 21BD hybrid, Not sure of actual build date!
The very first night we used ours was at home in our yard just to try it out. when I woke up I could see day break between trailer frame and canvas it had separated about 1 1/2 ft. I took back to dealer, they said it had not be crimp. Took back home after repair, other side came out of track at that point I notice spacing between bunk door hinge about a 1/4 inches between trailer body and hinge.. Also mental canvas frame was bowing up about 1 1/2 inch off bottom of bunk. I saw a 2014 same model but canvas frame was built with heavier metal , mine is simply a aluminum frame with a grove in it and basically canvas seem is just stuck in in with silicone, poor design. all Forest river newer models this way, I looked at many other brands while there all have screwed down braces holding canvas
I really like my trailer but poor craftsmanship and bunk design!
I have several post about this and other issues , See Pictures in other post!
Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #18

Garfish
Quote:
I thought i had made it clear!
Yes you did make it clear... 2015... others sometimes not so much information, not even in their signature line... me I don't always mention my model year in a post either.

I have begun to realize that not even consecutive model years shares the same exact build problems.

For instance, my 2014 Shamrock has anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of extra fabric tucked inside and screwed down and reinforced with aluminum extrusions on the face of the camper walls and on the sleeping bunk sides. Nothing short of a knife and slitting the fabric would allow the tent fabric on mine to come loose. No glued fabric edges to be found. Sturdy and water and wind-tite construction. I guess I got lucky.

I wonder if yours and other tents were made too small and there was no extra fabric to wrap and fasten under aluminum extrusions and the assemblers thought glue would be good enough to hold the tent till it got out the door?

I feel sorry for you and others that have this problem. Certainly should be a warranty item I would think.

I wonder if you took the time to go inspect a new unit at a dealer to see how it is constructed, and if that might make you wonder why yours has the shoddy construction... or maybe that is how they are all made now.

I recommended my Shamrock to a camper just last week... I may quit doing that.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:57 AM   #19

Red face Just poor design on lose canvas

If you can imagine, where the canvas attaches to the frame of trailer, all it is, Is the sowed seem of end of canvas is stuck in 1/4 grove of mental frame and lightly crimp just in corners where they put gobs of silicone. then there is extra canvas flap on inside that wraps around aluminum frame to back side where again all they used was silicone to hold it in place. No where, where canvas attaches to frame is there any screws or braces used to hold canvas in grove. Well you imagine that when bunk is down the canvas pulls on frame where it simply pulls out of grove. They are replacing whole bunk end, canvas and all ! but if they did not reinforce it some how. I can see having same problem! Unfortunately it will be out of warranty once I get it back. But at least I have a friend in the rv repair industry and if happens we will enforce it some how!
As far as the 2017 and 2018 are concern , still same design! I am always looking at trailers.
Being retied and grandparents, I wish some one would make a combination trailer ( Hybrid & standard) Such as one that that has fix queen bed for us to use and 2 canvas bunk (end & side ) for when we have guest! I have made that suggestion to Forest river and Jayco! Other people I talk to would like that design still keep trialer size down with reg bed , but bunk ends for guest and grand kids! Oh well have a good day
Old 03-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #20

There is one camper out there made like you described. It's a Coachmen. I think the model number is 257 dsx. However it only has a rear bunk, not a side.
We are like you, retired but needing extra space for grandkids. The design looks appealing.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote