Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

carbon monoxide detector

Our carbon monoxide detector keeps going off. It seems to happen on the first day of every trip. Seems like it coincides with using hot water. Anyone else have this issue?
wiesenbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Ours started acting up after about a year. It would go off for no reason. The camper could be sitting at home with nothing on and it would go off. I got it replaced under warranty and it hasn't gone off since.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiesenbornk View Post
Our carbon monoxide detector keeps going off. It seems to happen on the first day of every trip. Seems like it coincides with using hot water. Anyone else have this issue?
Check the seal around the hot water heater. (where it joins the camper's wall).

I seem to recall a thread a few years ago where this was happening and there was no (or little) caulking between the metal of the water heater and the wall of the camper.

This allowed un-burned propane to enter the camper. The way the system works is there is a 15 second purge of propane before the spark occurs. If that spark fails to ignite the propane for any reason, the 15 second purge starts again. It will "purge/spark" 3 times before it locks out and you have to turn the switch on and off to start it over again.

This purge could allow propane to seep past a bad seal and enter the camper. The detectors are sensitive and if your detector is near the water heater it may be detecting the purge gas. If it seems to be taking a long time for the "reset" light to go out (30 seconds or so) the heater could be having issues getting a light initially. Check the flue in that case for spider webs that could be burned out after it finally lights.

http://www.eco-rv.com/scripts/pdfretail/get.php?id=344
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #4

You have to remember that these cheap detectors they put in rv's can never be reset to 0. Every time it detects any PPM's it stores it and then continues to add to the total.

For example, if it detects CM totaling 15 ppm on your first trip it will store that number. Then on your next trip lets say you run a generator and the wind blows some exhaust fumes inside and it detects CM totaling 25 ppm, well now your detector thinks there is 40 ppm because it adds that to what it detected on the last trip. Once you reach dangerous levels it will go off anytime it detects any carbon monoxide even if it's in small amounts.

Everybody should have one that plugs into an outlet and has a digital readout. You can get them at wal-Mart and they are fairly inexpensive considering the peace of mind they give. This style will always self adjust to the actual ppm that's in the air, never any guessing.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
You have to remember that these cheap detectors they put in rv's can never be reset to 0. Every time it detects any PPM's it stores it and then continues to add to the total.

For example, if it detects CM totaling 15 ppm on your first trip it will store that number. Then on your next trip lets say you run a generator and the wind blows some exhaust fumes inside and it detects CM totaling 25 ppm, well now your detector thinks there is 40 ppm because it adds that to what it detected on the last trip. Once you reach dangerous levels it will go off anytime it detects any carbon monoxide even if it's in small amounts.

Everybody should have one that plugs into an outlet and has a digital readout. You can get them at wal-Mart and they are fairly inexpensive considering the peace of mind they give. This style will always self adjust to the actual ppm that's in the air, never any guessing.
Wow. Never heard that one. Is that in a manual somewhere?
I would love to have that in the Herkbrary.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Here is the manual for mine.
Note the section on the difference between a propane leak from a fitting and a diluted leak from an open burner.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Propane Detector.pdf (1.41 MB, 1027 views)
Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #7

I can try and find the actual paperwork we got on it. We were taught this at a refresher class I took for our volunteer fire department. This was after VFD had to start responding to so many CM scares. When ours starting going off every night and scaring the crap out of us I finally went and bought the digital one and when it read 10 ppm our little white plastic one would start going off.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
I can try and find the actual paperwork we got on it. We were taught this at a refresher class I took for our volunteer fire department. This was after VFD had to start responding to so many CM scares. When ours starting going off every night and scaring the crap out of us I finally went and bought the digital one and when it read 10 ppm our little white plastic one would start going off.
Thanks. It sounds like something that I should have in my folder.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

There's a difference between the PROPANE detector and the CARBON MONOXIDE detector. On my Roo19, the Propane detector is down at floor level by the electric converter and battery disconnect switch. (Propane is heavier than air.) The CM is up on the wall over the sofa. (CM is lighter than air.) The original post was regarding CM, not Propane.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Yikes, I am so sorry!
No idea how I missed that.

My CO detector is on the ceiling as well.
Let me look into this further.
Lou
Old 09-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
There's a difference between the PROPANE detector and the CARBON MONOXIDE detector. On my Roo19, the Propane detector is down at floor level by the electric converter and battery disconnect switch. (Propane is heavier than air.) The CM is up on the wall over the sofa. (CM is lighter than air.) The original post was regarding CM, not Propane.
There is no difference in my trailer. I just checked it last week and it is a Safe-T-Alert combined CO and gas (propane) detector. It is located just above the floor and right under the refrigerator (which is located at the rear of the trailer). With the mass of CO at 28.01 g/mole and the mass of air at 28.9 g/mole, CO from incomplete combustion in my furnace or oven (located in the center of the trailer) could theoretically rise to the level of our bed (located at the front of the trailer) without ever reaching the CO detector.

The trailer is so small that it is not a likely scenario. However, my first boss after college died from CO poisoning in a pickup camper. So, I am not taking any chances and installing a battery powered CO detector near the head of the bed.
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I have a CoStar CO Detector (only) and the manual is less than informative as to the nuts and bolts of its operation.

It does say not to mount it within 5 feet of any appliance or furnace.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CoStar 9RV Carbon Dioxide Alarm.pdf (3.29 MB, 138 views)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

I found what I think you were talking about.
Carbon monoxide detector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The alarm points on carbon monoxide detectors are not a simple alarm level (as in smoke detectors) but are a concentration-time function. At lower concentrations (e.g. 100 parts per million) the detector will not sound an alarm for many tens of minutes. At 400 parts per million (PPM), the alarm will sound within a few minutes. This concentration-time function is intended to mimic the uptake of carbon monoxide in the body while also preventing false alarms due to relatively common sources of carbon monoxide such as cigarette smoke.

This does not mean the detector does not "reset" to zero after detecting CO. It means that it is "always" detecting some level of CO over a period of time and as long as the exposure over time is below the alarm setting; it will not go off. That is why a low level of CO over a short period of time will not set it off and a higher level, even briefly, will.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #14

Whoops, my mistake, also. You're right. Both the Propane and CM are near the floor near the converter. It's the smoke detector that's on the wall over the sofa. (Sorry, I've only had this Roo for a few months and we've only been out two weekends. And my home CM is on the ceiling with the smoke detector.)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #15

So if I turn off 2 propane tanks at the tank we should be safe until we can get it checked Nothing else can be harmful?
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
So if I turn off 2 propane tanks at the tank we should be safe until we can get it checked Nothing else can be harmful?
I would think so. Can't have a propane leak if it's shut off and can't have CO if there's no propane to burn.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 10-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #17

My co2 and propane detector is the same I beleive and it's down near the floor.

It recently started going off and will not shut off until I turn the main battery off for the rv.
We had a week long trip with no issues, now it's sitting the the driveway, I was working in it when it started going off.

Shut everything down and all was good. Few days later was in showing friends the new rig, was in maybe 10 min and then it started going off again. Only way to make it stop is to go out to the battery cut off switch and turn it off.
Help!
Propane tanks are off, stove checked...

Wolflack 315 pack 12 2017 model
HeatherV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #18

Propane detector will "chirp" when battery power is low.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #19

Agree with wharfrat48 about it chirping when the battery is low. I learned this the hard way camping in Yellowstone in AUGUST and the temp fell to 29 degrees and snow one night, and we weren't connected to electricity. The battery started depleting quickly with the furnace running, and eventually the detector starts chirping to alert you that the battery is running low on juice. So even though it still had enough juice to power the furnace a little longer, it chirps to tell you that the battery is getting lower on power. THANKS!!! It flashes a different pattern or color I believe, which in the manual states was the low battery indicator, not the CO2 detection.

I eventually had to disconnect the battery completely to stop the damn thing from chirping LOUDLY which meant no heat and its 29 degrees outside in Summer. :-) Oh and it was 2:00 am in the morning when all this decides to go down.
Rodski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #20
Site Team

Rodski, did you get a second battery, generator or solar after that experience?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote