Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Cargo door addition on front of Shamrock 19

Has anyone added a cargo door to the front of their 19 to access the long area in front? I have a 2019 that has the small door on the right side that provides access to the water filter and pump in a space that is full width. I moved the pump/water out of the way to access the storage there but accessing the back of it is very difficult since it's 6 feet in. If I could add a door it would be much more useful space. I was thinking of ordering and installing the same door on the front left (see picture for location outline) but am worried about hitting framing. I'm hoping maybe someone already did this up front and has some measurements for a safe location - I found several threads about adding a cargo door but they were for the rear.

Thanks

Justin

nelsjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #2

I wrote a baggage door add-in post for my 183 hybrid several years ago... maybe you saw it. I think the difference between yours and mine is 3 bunks Vs 2. I have never seen any other door add-on post.

I think I would approach adding your door by drilling one small tiny hole from the inside out. This tiny hole could be patched with a dab of caulk if/when necessary.

From that one hole, drilled either low or high and left or right (hi-right or low-left if you get my meaning) into the siding will give you a reference spot to measure from the inside and then transfer those measurements to the outside. I have an access door below the front bunk and on the inside near the door where I can squeeze myself to get measurements in that open area... I hope you do also.

I would measure or transfer using tracing paper a box shaped area showing the MAX un-obstructed area where there is no structure in the frame that will interfere with your new cutout. Use blue masking tape to put this on the outside to visualize your area.

Then shop for a new baggage door. This new door obviously needs to be within the masked area. Once you have the baggage door in hand, then start by tracing the cutout on more blue tape on the front panel. Use your drill and jig saw to then cutout the siding using the marks on the blue tape. THe tape will help protect the un-cut surface of the camper.

hope this helps

Roger

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:16 AM   #3

Thanks Roger - I really appreciate the additional detail on the process. That seems straight forward. I think I can reach the area from the sofa area with a bit of stretching. Thanks again - if I add the door I’ll post some pictures.

Justin
Old 05-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

I would think about putting the baggage door on the side instead of on the front... worried about water leakage and wind-forced infiltration into that area when driving in a pouring rain.

Then there is the problem of actually finding a baggage door... I only found one place to order one and that took a long time to get as I recall, with an investment up-front.

I was able to purchase from Lowes an aluminum box that fits fine on the tongue that gives me storage for tools, leveling blocks, and my battery. The Overhang was needed because I had to leave enough room on the tongue for the WDH brackets. Just needed to move propane tanks forward an inch or so.

I can send you measurements if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobalt.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	229501  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-22-2020, 05:19 AM   #5

Before I went drilling through your siding regardless of how small and easily patched the holes are Id want to know the layout of the framing members.

Since you have access to one side of the space a simple and inexpensive inspection camera, taped to a stick so you can maneuver it and connected to your phone should allow you to see precisely what you are dealing with from the inside. This solution will not work if the inside of the space is covered by paneling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LED-Wirel...1c61e150183841

Another solution would be a "Stud Finder", some of them are ultrasonic and are able to locate metal framing members,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zircon-1-5-...Finder/3092949

I like the idea of the door on the side to prevent water intrusion and also for ease of access. A thin plywood box that could slide in and out would allow for maximum usage of what is now "dead" space.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #6

I didn't think of the the rain pressure from the front. Putting it on the side may be difficult. I used a stud finder and I'm pretty sure I located the various supports nearby. That inspection camera is cool though - I may get one of those just for all the times I could have used it on projects.

I found a solution for a pull out drawer that I could mount to access some of the dead space by removing one of those flimsy dividers and then will some plumbing rerouting I was able to access more of it.

Roger - I'd love the measurements - between a tool box upfront and the slide out drawer maybe I should just be good losing some of the dead space but not cutting the side/sourcing a door.

Thanks

Justin
Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #7

Justin,

Shamrock (Roo) 183 with 3 bunks... similar measurements I believe to Roo 19.

Tool box measures 4 ft wide but only 8 inches wide at the bottom. I got it at Lowes. I moved the propane rack a couple of inches forward, just enough so the white cover touches the back of the electric jack. This gives just enough room to put my hand between the white propane cover and the lid to open the box... it is tight though. See 16 inches measurement from where the A-frame member dips under the camper to where my WDH latch needs to be, which is why I was limited to the 8 inch wide box. However 8 inches was enough to put in a plastic battery box to house my group 27 Marine/RV battery. See also 3 1/2 inches from camper white portion bottom to back of box. This left about 1/2 inch clearance to the camper with the lid open. Bunk door can swing down with lid open. I usually leave lid open while camping as it is protected from rain with bunk down and I have some basic hand tools in there plus battery drill and socket to use on stab jacks.

I purchased the box from Lowes and took it home to test fit. It did, so I kept it and fastened everything down. Been there since fall of 2014 with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rvIMG_2377.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	229584   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvIMG_2380.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	229585   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvIMG_2382.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	229586   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvIMG_2384.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	229587   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvIMG_2387.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	229588  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #8

I also added a 5 inch X 8 foot square tube fastened with SS hose clamps to house my surf rods as they are 7 feet long. This is just ahead of the front wheels. Many discussions here about using this setup to house the "stinky slinky" tube. I keep mine in the back bumper. Additionally I made a 6.5 foot long 6 inch PVC tube with front screw cap to house a set of PVC awning supports I made. This is supported in the front with various brackets and clamps to existing support members. You can see this tube just peeking out from below in the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rvIMG_2385.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	229589   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvIMG_2386.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	229590   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1IMG_2387.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	229591  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

The storage under our dinette was very hard to get to. We installed a baggage door on the outside.

Not a hard job but it took tons of planing. Cheapest baggage doors were on ebay.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #10

Inside access mod

My husband used that untapped additional space by taking off the panel on the inside under the front bunk. He said the panel easily popped off. He then made doors that hold in place with magnets and used the space for the charge controller, inverter and DC fuse box for our solar. He said there wasn't much room left to put anything else in that space but it came in handy since storage is kind of limited in the Roo 19.
PennyandKerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyandKerry View Post
My husband used that untapped additional space by taking off the panel on the inside under the front bunk. He said the panel easily popped off. He then made doors that hold in place with magnets and used the space for the charge controller, inverter and DC fuse box for our solar. He said there wasn't much room left to put anything else in that space but it came in handy since storage is kind of limited in the Roo 19.
Just a suggestion Penny............tell him he may wish to add some fans to provide air to those electronic devices in that closed up area.

They all generate heat and heat is the greatest enemy of all things electronic.

Won't be too hard with his skills Im sure......................Maybe he already did
Old 05-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #12

Thanks Penny - I think that is the route I'm going to go down. Then I can use it for the rarely accessed items and not have to deal with cutting/finding a door. I was able to remove the small "divider" between that area and the door side cargo to access that space - fits 4 camp chairs in there and freed up about 16" or cargo space.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #13

Penny - any change you have pictures of the doors your husband created? Thank you.

Justin
Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #14

Here are some pics I just took of how we made use of the space available. I tried to get the magnets as they really work well in keeping the doors in place. My husband wanted to stain and finish the doors but I didn't like any of his options so they remained unfinished. The doors look more different in color in pictures than they do in person. Probably could use even more of the space if you didn't need the board to mount all these things on.

OH, and we camped (no hookups) last summer down in the outer banks and never had a problem with the heat. Of course, we used our solar power to run fans in the trailer all day long. However, the humidity caused issues at times in the mornings, and the bathroom GFI outlet seemed to be the problem. Any suggestions to avoid that issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	230269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	230270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.jpg
Views:	51