Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Sham183

Cleaning of the bunk ends

What should I use to clean? I’ve heard everyone say nothing but positive things about 303 products. I called TJ Snuggle and they say to use mild dish soap or Oxy Clean spray. Also when it comes time to waterproof the bunk ends they say to only use scotchgard green. They emphasized that brand and that particular formula. Any thoughts on this? Possible contract with 3M or is this really the only thing you should use? I was going to order the 303 products but now I’m not sure. Give me your thoughts please. I’m getting ready to close it up for the winter so just trying to get it right with no issues.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

Are you wanting to clean the mattresses or the the other parts?
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Sham183

Sorry I should have stated that. The actual bunk canvas. The outside of it.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

vinyl bunk ends need vinyl protectant... 303 has been around forever...

I have used 303 since before I got my 2014 Shamrock in May 0f 2013 and continue to use it on anything plastic, rubber and vinyl... good for everything close to and around the bunk ends

the canvas doesn't get dirty it usually gets mold and/or mildew... that is when I go with Home Armor mold remover from Home Depot

waterproofing canvas... well their are many camping products that are silicon based and spray on and waterproof... I use whatever I can find, at least once per year...

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #5

Question: Since we've never had a problem with water coming in thru the canvas sides, I never gave waterproofing the canvas a thought. How many have actually had water coming thru the canvas sides of their Popup?? I always thought letting the side skin breathe was the goal!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
How many have actually had water coming thru the canvas sides of their Popup??
not so much the water goes thru the canvas, but bed clothes and mattress will get wet if pressed against the canvas and moisture draws thru the canvas...

if the canvas is waterproofed then it acts as a barrier to moisture and will not soak thru...

plenty of zippers on the windows for breathing...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

First, follow the manufacturers recommendations. They know best.

303 products are great though. I've used them on our boat and the fiberglass and vinyl/plastic parts of out Roo.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftengr View Post
Question: Since we've never had a problem with water coming in thru the canvas sides, I never gave waterproofing the canvas a thought. How many have actually had water coming thru the canvas sides of their Popup?? I always thought letting the side skin breathe was the goal!

If pillows or bedding is touching the canvas it can weep through.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, cleaning