Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

corner shelving for a Rockwood Roo 19'

Has anyone installed a corner shelf to the either side of the upper kitchen cabinets? There is a lower angled shelf on the bottom between the sink and the exit door and I wanted to install something similar in shape (but smaller) to the upper area to store our coffee pot and coffee. On the other side, has anyone put up a narrow shelf that goes from the left hand upper cabinet to the overhead cabinetry above the bed? It just seems like wasted space to me. Any storage solutions for here would be appreciated!

2 other questions:
1. Has anyone found a sprayer attachment that goes on the kitchen faucet?
2. Has anyone a solution for the factory-made wobbly dinette table? That has to be the poorest designed table ever! Even the one in our old pop-up was better.

On another note, I found a small cloth set of 'shelves' (the package says 'wardrobe' from Walmart that fits perfectly in the small empty area between the back of the bathroom and the bedroom area nearest the door. I used two 12" tension bars to hold it in place running them through the velcro area that would have went on a closest bar. It works but I will 'jam' in a piece of 1" x 4" melamine stripping to take the pressure off the thin veneer wall (It backs onto the shower area inside the bathroom). The 'wardrobe' holds all my son's clothes for the week. It has 5 shelves and is roughly 10" wide, 12" deep and 44" tall. He puts his books in the bottom shelf which rests on the bed base. The bed still folds up no problem!

Any other storage solutiions would be appreciated! I have already converted the 'wardrobe' beside the fridge to a food pantry - you'd expect this to be the 'standard' from the factory with the large number of people who do this. Otherwise, where did Forest River expect you to put your food?

Love our 'Roo'!
Lisa Harnett
Sittsville, ON
lisalynn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'll move this to the Roo forum for better help

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

Thanks! LLH
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #4

The dollar stores sell a spray attachment that screw on to the faucet where the aerator is attached to the faucet. There are two types one is spray only while the other can be changed from spray to full stream. It comes with an adapter to fit ether male or female threads.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #5

spray faucet options

Thanks Casper...will look into that. Here in Canada we have Dollarama (same type as Dollar Store or Dollar Trees in US). Its my favourite store! Cheers, Lisa
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Hi there. I was looking for pictures of the shelves I built for my Roo 19, like the ones you want, but I can not find them at this time. I put a couple up high, by the microwave, one down low in the little "nook" under the sink plus many more (holds plastic bags). I have spent MANY hours going through cabinets removing the little boards the manufacturer puts in to hide stuff like wiring and piping, then building shelves in those spots. It is kind of shocking at the amount of space that gets wasted. But, Forest River wants to get their product out the door as fast as possible, it is up to us to clean up their mess and make it better to suit what we need. I have added a few pics of some of my mods, not all. One of the best is the cabinet door to access the unused space at the front of the trailer. It goes from one side to the other. We keep our blankets and sleeping bags in there. Bulky, but light. Don't want to add too much weight up front, but gets that stuff out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5180081.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	14585   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240012.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	14586   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7010053.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	14587   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8180041.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	14588  
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #7

Thanks CMCCT! Great minds think alot alike...I also moved all the walls the factory put in to protect the electrical in the storage areas and I also used spray foam to seal all the wall plugs from the inside at the same time. I've been thinking about how to install a door on the front panel the way you did but in ours, we have an electrical outlet on the left panel where you put the door - I think I can squeeze the door on the right side. I was very surprised there wasn't an access door there from the factory given how much empty space I figured out was there. Perfect for pillows, towels, sleeping bags. Did you put up a higher shelf on the right hand side of the microwave (right hand side when you are facing it?) I just worry about how to screw it into the side wall - I've been told the walls are only 1" thick. Love all th picturs - really appreciate it as I am the one doing the mods (husband not that handy!). Also, funny thing - we have the same area carpet on the floor and have accented the Roo in red accessories! And we used to live in the Vancouver area! We must be 'Roo' mates. Cheers, Lia
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

Thanks for sharing those pics.

I noticed you added some new speakers.

I added some counter space to the left of the stove top. Cutting board from Walmart, I slide it in, and then pull up the single bracket. I remove it when I need to use the couch as a bed and travelling, ideal when watching TV too.

Also changed all the doors in the upper cabinets to open UP as opposed to sideways, I kept hitting my head...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #9

Another brilliant idea! Merci. Lisa
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #10

Hi again Lisa, the shelf I put up over the couch is screwed into the 3/4 inch wood of the cabinets on one end, and I also used drywall anchors where the shelf was attached to the wall of the trailer. The board is very thin on the walls, you need to get creative in order to distribute the weight over as large an area as possible so the screws do not tear out. You are right about the wall thickness, watch your screw length. The window frames are my indicator of how thick the walls are. I did also think of adding extra counter space by the range like miatared, but with all of my sons coming in at 6'1" at a minimum, they couldn't afford to lose any of the precious bed space that they have there. If you are not in Vancouver anymore, where'd you go? Oh, and the electrical outlet used to be where the door is now. There is just enough wire to allow you to move it to the other panel so the door will not interfere with the couch or the other way around.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Thanks for sharing those pics.

Also changed all the doors in the upper cabinets to open UP as opposed to sideways, I kept hitting my head...

I like how your cabinet doors will stay opened. Because mine do not stay open like yours do I would rather have the doors open sideway. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Great mods!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcct View Post
...I did also think of adding extra counter space by the range like miatared, but with all of my sons coming in at 6'1" at a minimum, they couldn't afford to lose any of the precious bed space that they have there...
There is no loss of anything, as the shelf slides in and out as needed. Only a little folding bracket stays there, the jack-knife couch opens as usual.

I'll try and post a pic. It's an ideal setup I think.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #13

Here is what it looks like when I slide the shelf off when the couch is needed.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #14

cmcct: Just got back from trip to Europe so brain not firing on all cylinders (and why I posted 'reply' using just the 'thanks' button!). Please let me/us know of any additional mods you make - I am always looking for ideas to improve storage in our Roo! Love your ideas! Now in Ottawa and planning on spending as much of the summer at our seasonal site with our 'Roo' - my son calls it our 'cottage' (I grew up in Thunder Bay where we called them 'camps'!). I'll take pictures of what I manage to get done this summer later on and post them...Enjoy the summer. Lisa