Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 08:17 AM   #1

De-lamination on bed doors

Hi i am considering purchasing a rockwood roo hybrid. Its a excellent trailer and in mint condition. The only issue i see is the two bed doors have some Delamination on the bottom. No Delamination on the trailer itself just the bed doors.

The owner says it’s been like that for a few years and nothing leaks. I contacted forest river dealer and they said they have doors in stock but its going to cost around $1200cad for the doors not including having someone install them. There the 2nd owner and always stored in indoors.

My priced around $14,000 but its in mint condition. Is the Delamination on the doors something i should be worried about. Seems pretty common on these trailers and trying to see if its a good buy.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6106A68C-740D-41CA-BB27-F00AB0D317C0.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	267643   Click image for larger version

Name:	EAE31EA9-F501-41F9-B4FB-DBB808B95B56.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	267644   Click image for larger version

Name:	39D4EADD-2FB9-4627-B20C-E0D7FC692718.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	267645  
Awatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #2

Hard to see the delam from your pics, but if there is delam, it means that there is (or was) water damage from a leak. Could be due to a number of reasons, but the source of the leak should be discovered and fixed if still there. As long as the beds seem structurally sound, the delam would not keep me from purchasing the camper. I'd check the hinge very closely and make sure it is still fastened securely to the bed and the camper (look for rot/water damage).
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #3

Thank you. Do you think the price is right?$14,000. The trailer is in excellent condition beside the little delam on the door?
Old 01-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #4

As a former hybrid owner, I would be very concerned there could be more damage at/below the door hinge that there appears. Just replacing the door may not be that easy. I am not nearly handy enough to risk a project like that and the cost to have someone else repair it may not be worth it.
I would personally tell my friends/family to pass on it and keep looking.
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awatkins View Post
Thank you. Do you think the price is right?$14,000. The trailer is in excellent condition beside the little delam on the door?
you have mentioned the age or model of this camper. impossible to judge jf that is good price or not
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #6

Delamination is a constant thread as moisture wicks into the seals. I had enough on my Roo's front bed to replace the door which is a highly labor intensive task that to do right requires taking the front cabinets apart, etc. I'm looking to mitigate some delamination on the rear bed door -- maybe in the spring.

Preventive maintenance is the key (that I missed). The area around the bed door perimeter needs to be recaulked periodically.

My now 18-year old Roo 23SS is still functional even with some slight bed door delamination.

Appears to be slight in your photos and with care will probably be OK. (Note words "appears" and "probably." )

-- Chuck
Old 01-12-2022, 12:32 PM   #7

Thanks chuck for the info. Forgot to mention that the owner claims the delam is from sun. Do you know if that’s possible without water damage. I guess anything is possible. Lol
Old 01-12-2022, 12:42 PM   #8

The location of the delamination matches mine (at least along the bottom edge where my delamination is/was) and I'm convinced it's from water migration into the door by capillary action. Even tiny amounts of water will collect along the bottom edge. I have some remaining on the rear door but the door still seems structurally stable -- we don't put much weight in that bed, just my 120 pound spouse and a couple 15 pound Dachshunds. Beds at opposite ends of the camper makes dealing with snoring easier. (I'm sure marriage causes snoring as I never did before...)

I have a kit designed to fix delamination but it requires removing the door and some other structural tasks I don't have the strength to handle by myself.

-- Chuck
Old 01-12-2022, 12:51 PM   #9

I agree marriage causes snoring. lol. Thanks for the info. Keep everyone updated. Besides the delam have you have any other issues with your trailer?
Old 01-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #10

For starters, is the CAD or USD? Second, what model Roo, age, and how equipped. (looks like an early 235 - one big slide and both ends). If it's a CAD roo, I'd be interested in rust and roof, how it was stored, etc. Really would go over with a fine tooth comb.

Without knowing age of the unit or how it's equipped? Not sure we can make a recco on the price. However, 14k CAD ((sounds)) like good deal compared to new prices, but new prices aren't that bad (and used wasn't bringing big savings through the lack of supply).

Your true cost for a used unit with fixed bunkends will be ~16k (14K + new doors shipped + install + graphics). ANd that doesn't consider any water damage that may be causing the delam and propagating through the area immediately below the door. If you're comparing to new, you need to also factor in potential build/equipment improvements and aging components (eg, condition and seals on hubs, etc).

Note: NEW Roos are azdel walled. Less wood = less chance for rot. Delam is related.

Total out the door price for my brand new, fully tilt boogie equipped '22 235S was a hair over double the cost you're citing. Food for thought.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #11

Only "issues" or "problems" with my 2006 Roo 23SS (built June 2005) other than bed door lamination are/were simply stuff caused by age.

■ Roof leaked via the front clearance lights. Ruthless caulking fixed this.

■ Roof vent lid in the main salon turned to granola after 14 or 15 years despite being under a hood. Simple replacement.

■ Storage cabinet over the galley pulled out of the ceiling within the first month in service. Used a couple of the longer screws thoughtfully provided in the sawdust under the lower cabinets to secure permanently.

■ Entire wall behind the sofa pulled away from the main body -- could see the pavement down thru the gap. Caused by forcing kingsize sleeping bags behind the sofa back and fixed with caulk and longer screws and storing the sleeping bags elsewhere. Been fine the past dozen years.

■ Spare tire carrier broke from metal fatigue and vibration. Simple replacement.

■ Typical wear items like light bulbs, water heater anode, awning tears, etc. Hardly count as problems and not unique to the trailer or type trailer. It's a camper.

Pay attention to tire dates (not wear). I didn't and had a blow out at speed on the Ohio Turnpike causing an abort of a 500 mile trip.

-- Chuck
Old 01-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks chuck for the info. Forgot to mention that the owner claims the delam is from sun. Do you know if that’s possible without water damage. I guess anything is possible. Lol
The owner is either full of BS or clueless. Delam like that, is due to water intrusion. Sun doesn't cause that.
The previous owners didn't do the required regular inspections and maintenance on the doors. This is the #1 requirement for hybrid ownership.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
Canadian Member

I had a 2010 Roo 23SS that had the delam on the bottom of both bunk doors. The replacement was beyond my skill level so I had a dealer do the labour for CAD$1000. I was the second owner but the Rockwood factory was kind enough to send the new blank doors at no cost. The trailer was only 2 years old at the time. I totally agree that regular caulking of the trim on the doors is required.

On that particular model year, the design of the door seal system was poor and allowed water to get past the seals onto the roof of the tent ends. I replaced the pinch welt seals around both doors before I sold it so it wasn’t leaking and the buyer said they would be storing it indoors.

Other than that problem, it was a great camper.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:13 AM   #14

I read thru this thread twice and failed to read a year or model...

The latches on the door bunks tells me it is a 2012-2013 or earlier model.

These model years always had water damage exactly where you show them. The design from the factory was bad and the hinge area was always soaking up water. If you read the Roo/Shamrock forum especially if you start way back and read forward you will find dozens and dozens of posts describing the problem with that bunk end design.

IF the bunk end doors are not going to fall off soon, and you are willing to put up with that built-in problem, then... well having camped in Ontario for a number of years, and knowing how it can rain, well not sure that is the right trailer to have up there. On the other hand 2013-2014 model years and up with the newer style bunk end locks are designed and put together differently and that hinge area wetness problem has largely been eliminated.

The delam is caused by wet/rotting wood letting the outer fiberglass peel away from the body. In no way is it caused from the sun.

I suspect if you start poking around in the interior of the hybrid you will see even more water damage. Often the top clearance lights also let water in from up top.

Look here for info:
https://delamrepair.com/

also search youtube for info on working with delamination damage...

you may find something there that will help you decide...

I have read of people installing their new bunk doors, possible in a stretch of good weather or in a covered area... you can also save money by picking up and transporting the doors yourself, or having them shipped INSIDE another new unit with the cooperation of your local dealer.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:02 AM   #15
Site Team

Those cargo latches came out on Roo/Shamrock hybrids back around 2004. My 2007 23SS had them. Before that, they were th screw clamp type.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #16

Model is 23ss 2010
Old 01-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Model is 23ss 2010
Seems like a high price for a 12 year old camper with obvious prolems
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #18
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
Seems like a high price for a 12 year old camper with obvious prolems
Remember that the OP is in Canada. CAD$14,000 is about US$11,100. I have no idea whether that is a reasonable price in the current market in Ontario, Canada but RV prices for used units are high right now due to continuing high demand.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #19

I laid a new countertop out on the lawn in Tucson while I was removing the old one. It delaminated from the sun.

That said, my ROO has the same issue. The joke of a rain gutter above the hinges is useless. Water runs downhill. I replaced the gutter with a 2" flashing. Mine hasn't gotten any worse. I had some dry rot (caused by water) on the surface inside. I filled the void with Great Stuff foam and put a piece of paneling over it. Been working fine for 5 years.

It is also possible to have that issue from condensation inside the trailer. Make sure you dry it out well before storing it. Once it is folded up, it doesn't dry.

That price is about what I paid for mine 6 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2943.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	267730  
Old 01-21-2022, 09:38 PM   #20

That delamination is from water intrusion not sun. I have an 09 23SS, yours looks a few years newer. I rebuilt my bunk ends due to this issue. It wasn't hard but a pain in the neck. The fiberglass skin is glued to a sheet of cardboard on the inside and it will continue to get worse and absorb more water as time goes on. Good news is the door frame is aluminum so that wont rot. I don't like the front bunk door hinge design, it sits on an angle sloping inward and water gets trapped there and cant flow out, but it can perk thru the hinge into the trailer. That trailer looks to be in good condition otherwise but I would not pay that much for it.
Matthuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, door